Venture - Svalbard, Greenland, Iceland - Aug 7-21 As live as we can be!

2 hours ago, jjs217 said:

We are on the Venture over the Holidays in December down in Antarctica.  I know ships don't generally make unnecessary announcements, but since this is an expedition cruise, do they make a ship wide announcement when there are animals spotted?  I don't care if I'm even taking an afternoon siesta - I want to see wildlife.  If I'm on the port side and 50 whales are spotted on the starboard side - I want to know about it.  Okay - I made my point.  Now, what is the policy?  Thanks.

Excellent question! And this answer should make everyone happy.

There is switch next to the bed. If you don't want to hear announcements flick it off. If you want the animal or aurora wake up call, leave it on.  So simple, so brilliant. 

The cruise before us got a 1am polar bear wake up.  Apparently it was worth it. He put on quite a show. We were lucky, our first bear let us sleep in till 7a.m.

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

On 8/12/2022 at 2:33 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

Captian Alexander Golubev

HD Stephan Drevlak

CD Sarah Bomber

Aa mentioned earlier, this is not an intense hiking trip. The first 2 days of excursions were nice, interesting, but not wowzas, and will cover them later. They were a nice warm up. It's not Antarctica. With clouds lifting we are getting some stunning scenery.

The trip in the pack ice was well worth the cost of admission.

Expedition Staff is outstanding.  The line up is heavy hitters who all came to play. I think 26 in total. Will also do a post on them. 

I travelled with captain Goluev 2x: Antarctica with Silversea and in Seabourn Quest in 2019 France.

• Like 1

The Submarine Ride

It was quite the experience.

We dove the wall of Rode O Island in Northeast Greenland National Park. The park is 375,000 square miles.

The subs positioned near Rode O (red). We rode zodiacs to that location.  One sub stays on the surface while the other dives for safety reasons.  

Wear dark clothes so there is no reflection. While In the zodiac shoes come off. Life jackets stayed on.  Step from zodiac to sub and climb down the hatch. It's not as hard as it looks.  Seats are a bit tight, but doable.

Not the tropics, but still amazing to traverse a wall 101 meters down in the arctic.

Rode O Island

20220817_155614.thumb.jpg.143bb3dcdd731ff459ac9bfcd6410cff.jpg

20220817_181952.thumb.jpg.9da970209e3ec56d581a3fe12af7dcb7.jpg

Sub in position

20220817_182522.thumb.jpg.3b829d38f9c0cac9ddb388195d44c4eb.jpg

Our excellent Sub pilot Issac

20220817_182908.thumb.jpg.64f6d3f0e2aa022565cd448794d4130b.jpg

Climbing aboard 

20220817_183331.thumb.jpg.275d4b83a65da57468b5978363c4ca5b.jpg

Going down

20220817_184341.thumb.jpg.fb7e2ab6c47ff07c23ff5c0a7e838309.jpg

328 feet down

20220817_190558.thumb.jpg.374e63e64bb177ecc801776a60c1bc3f.jpg

20220817_190554.thumb.jpg.3a917a02f68060a0be4c83e1c7fbf239.jpg

20220817_192431.thumb.jpg.5b04896a9f119261af48a942a88d0eaf.jpg

Issac our Sub pilot

20220817_194102.thumb.jpg.72096b1b2664a3747b23ace74a0a6568.jpg

20220817_195339.thumb.jpg.d218cf98430277c6e88e07ed35458b21.jpg

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Excellent question! And this answer should make everyone happy.

There is switch next to the bed. If you don't want to hear announcements flick it off. If you want the animal or aurora wake up call, leave it on.  So simple, so brilliant. 

The cruise before us got a 1am polar bear wake up.  Apparently it was worth it. He put on quite a show. We were lucky, our first bear let us sleep in till 7a.m.

Thank you so much - good to know!

• Like 3

Bear Island, Scoresbysund Greenland

Another day of power-packed fun. Kayaking, zodiac rides, deck parties and never ending Giant icebergs. 

Captain Golubev has a big new toy and he is putting it through some amazing paces. Lapping icebergs, spinning the ship for photo opps, backing up to the bergs for parties. The excitement is contagious.  Even some of the expedition crew have been out on deck jumping up and down with glee. Ooohs and ahhhs abound.

IMG_20220819_082444_098.thumb.jpg.dbae9cd1757a1559f223ebc5b5aa3b5c.jpg

IMG_20220819_082444_158.thumb.jpg.178e864b2e5cc61a452b17523b41cd11.jpg

IMG_20220819_082444_184.thumb.jpg.f3efae748065f4837562dfce1d57e0a4.jpg

IMG_20220819_082444_320.thumb.jpg.76a314c796f04403597b5bfbf8d31400.jpg

IMG_20220819_082444_279.thumb.jpg.2e707fd9fc90781d405731c574b4c73e.jpg

• Like 4

I apologize if this has been covered, but I'm making a decision soon concerning an upcoming Antarctic Venture cruise and could use some quick information.   We have $500 onboard credit, however this is an all inclusive cruise.   We will not be doing a submarine or Kayak which are the only exc/ursions that cost.    What sort of clothing does the Ventura have in their shop.   Can we get extra wool socks, mid level freeze or other items required for cold weather at a fair price?    Any other suggestions for use of the credit?

Marazul,    In speed reading through this thread, I did see a wine list with prices.   So can I assume that wine/drinks are free but there is premium stuff that you have to pay for?   We're usually happy with the included drinks on ships, so I assume will have to find something in the ship store.   It would be great to know if we can get our various cold layers there and not fly them in.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

Going down

These pictures are awesome!  A starfish of some species, a sea anemone (I think), and a marine Hydra (or, if not, some kind of Coelenterate).  Thanks for being an excellent photographer and posting them!

6 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

but the grocery store was interesting.

Looks like a General Store from the past in parts of the United States.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Folkfan13 said:

Marazul,    In speed reading through this thread, I did see a wine list with prices.   So can I assume that wine/drinks are free but there is premium stuff that you have to pay for?   We're usually happy with the included drinks on ships, so I assume will have to find something in the ship store.   It would be great to know if we can get our various cold layers there and not fly them in.

Wines and top shelf liquor are included.  The choices are ample and we always find a few wines we like. There is a premium wine list that we look at for special occasions  or leftover OBCs. 

Spa services like massages, pedicures, etc are extra so you can use your credits for that.

Do look at all the excursions. Some excursions may be extras.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Folkfan13 said:

Can we get extra wool socks, mid level freeze or other items required for cold weather at a fair price?    Any other suggestions for use of the credit?

Others can tell you more, but from what I have read, you will be provided a jacket which you can layer other clothing under and you can rent boots for going into wet areas.  I think you are going to have to bring your own socks, waterproof pants, gloves, hats, etc. etc.  

4 hours ago, Folkfan13 said:

I apologize if this has been covered, but I'm making a decision soon concerning an upcoming Antarctic Venture cruise and could use some quick information.   We have $500 onboard credit, however this is an all inclusive cruise.   We will not be doing a submarine or Kayak which are the only exc/ursions that cost.    What sort of clothing does the Ventura have in their shop.   Can we get extra wool socks, mid level freeze or other items required for cold weather at a fair price?    Any other suggestions for use of the credit?

You will find plenty of great thing to buy in the shop at both reasonable and higher prices.  Lots of goodies  especially in Antarctica.   I'll try and take some pics tomorrow. 

• Like 2

One other quick question.    Someone above listed the things we have to bring and it included hats.   The Seabourn Expedition Packing list says that a Beanie is included with the parka.    Did you guys get one.    How is it.    Do you recommend any other head or neck apparel for warmth?

Yes, a beanie is included and is a good one. I'm not a beanie person.

I have ear muffs, and for the really cold and windy days a trooper hat. A neck gators is also a good idea.  Again, rain pants are a MUST!

The parka and jacket are quite warm.  I also packed a puffer vest and sometimes wore just that and the parka with layered thermals.  Vest also nice around the ship and under the kayak dry suit. Boots are quite warm. Think and thin thermal socks to work with fit.  I like 'smart wool'.

3 hours ago, shark b8 said:

*Outstanding* reporting and pix, highplanesdrifters!  I’m looking at the Venture for our third Antarctica in Dec ‘23 or Jan ‘24, and your trip is really whetting the appetite!

Thanks SharkB8. Big fan of your posts too! Although I need to catch up.😉

We are smitten with this ship and crew. Expedition staff like her.  All the toys work well.  Will sail on her when we return to Antarctica and look forward booking on Pursuit when she's ready.  We are in 1-2 meter swells at the moment and it feels like we are in a hotel room. Crazy.

5 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

look forward booking on Pursuit when she's ready

@highplainsdrifter Do any of the staff onboard Venture, such as the Future Cruise Consultant, have any information about the Pursuit? Seabourn dropped it from the schedule for 2023 and into 2024, from reports I've seen posted here; in fact it doesn't show up on the Seabourn booking website as one of the ships in the fleet. Yet the page about Pursuit on the Seabourn site is unchanged, still announcing her anticipated debut in early 2023 with summer Greenland and Northwest Passage cruises which we know have been re-assigned to Venture. Is this another Covid-related delay in construction of the ship? Is there some bigger delay brought on by financial issues at Carnival? Does anyone know when Pursuit is now scheduled to debut?