Venture - Svalbard, Greenland, Iceland - Aug 7-21 As live as we can be!

Today is the first day we have seen some sun. We have had low clouds every day and heavy fog at times. We were told the last two weeks saw zero sun.

Expeditions have been what one would expect for Svalbard. We usually have 4-5 armed bear guides stationed around a perimeter.  Our first 2 days were limited due to fog. But we did have landings and a trot around. 20220811_081732.thumb.jpg.86e54e80cd66beb7a1ad9cfdfaee78d8.jpg Long hikes will not be in cards here.

We have heard of a few bear attacks in the last few days. It's real, and it happens.

Today we walked a bit over 2 miles around an abandoned marble mine.

20220811_081322.thumb.jpg.87ba916b9215af97bfe69b29f5a03cc1.jpg

Gun cases

20220811_081647.thumb.jpg.393cff6f17cf3e4d37ad2a1f33ae5da4.jpg

Air BNB...yes it really is.

20220811_090246.thumb.jpg.adb428ded04c8ed2429b4de184ade39f.jpg

20220811_091030.thumb.jpg.0f5b8ecdae0f85f65a8d6ec96f9c063c.jpg

20220811_081456.thumb.jpg.e03b1d208efbb5c6fee3be86fc3b018f.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, worcestergal said:

Thanks so much for your updates!  Much appreciated. 
Just wondering…who are the CD and HD?  And, have you found the zodiac excursions too tame?  
Personally, I will not miss TK!

Captian Alexander Golubev

HD Stephan Drevlak

CD Sarah Bomber

Aa mentioned earlier, this is not an intense hiking trip. The first 2 days of excursions were nice, interesting, but not wowzas, and will cover them later. They were a nice warm up. It's not Antarctica. With clouds lifting we are getting some stunning scenery.

The trip in the pack ice was well worth the cost of admission.

Expedition Staff is outstanding.  The line up is heavy hitters who all came to play. I think 26 in total. Will also do a post on them. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Exactly! 

But for the fashion police there are 2 formal nights and people fluff up a bit. But the more casual folks are not out of place. It's a great well traveled crowd. No ones first rodeo.

A friendly reminder, sure you are busy haveing a great time however you did respond to my request for full pictures of the Veranda Suites including but, not limited to where in suite meals are served.

Just didn't want this to slip your mid with so much great happenins on board.

Thanks again,

6 minutes ago, Travels with Lisa said:

It appears the sushi is commentary - is that correct?  

Thanks so much for your updates!

All food on Seabourn is complimentary.  All of it--all the time.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

This is fantastic - thank you! We are on board in February and I am so excited to see photos and hear how it is! 

What is the entertainment like, apart from the expedition team? Any live musicians in the evenings? Thank you! 

Edited by mcshane

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thank you for all the menus much appreciated. 

Its my understanding that the sub costs extra, is that correct?  Sounds really cool.

I would love to know the pricing - I haven’t been able to find any details online. 

@highplanesdriftersGreat pics.  Thanks so much.  Quick question.  Can you ask shorex dept (if you get a chance)  if you can use onboard credit for the sub?  I know there are no subs in Norway but I am looking at a S. America voyage and would like to use my OBC.  My TA emailed, twice, to Seabourn and has not heard back.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thank you for all the menus much appreciated. 

Its my understanding that the sub costs extra, is that correct?  Sounds really cool.

Pre-launch pricing was $499, which was quietly increased to $999 a couple of months ago.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mcshane said:

I would love to know the pricing - I haven’t been able to find any details online. 

I can tell you that the sub pricing for our upcoming Antarctica cruise is $995 per person for what is said to be a 40 minute ride.  There is no discounting for the sub excursions.

Hank

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I can tell you that the sub pricing for our upcoming Antarctica cruise is $995 per person for what is said to be a 40 minute ride.  There is no discounting for the sub excursions.  The excursion duration is specified as 0.75 hours.

Hank

Sorry but I did a typo.  The actual cost is $999.00.

4 hours ago, rallydave said:

A friendly reminder, sure you are busy haveing a great time however you did respond to my request for full pictures of the Veranda Suites including but, not limited to where in suite meals are served.

Just didn't want this to slip your mid with so much great happenins on board.

Thanks again,

It's coming. Hope to get some suite tours while at sea.

1 hour ago, mcshane said:

This is fantastic - thank you! We are on board in February and I am so excited to see photos and hear how it is! 

What is the entertainment like, apart from the expedition team? Any live musicians in the evenings? Thank you! 

Lovely music during cocktail hours in most venues. Attached 'Today at a glance' to give you an idea of everything else.  The lectures have been next level.  I've even stayed awake through some of them. 😀

20220812_215742.thumb.jpg.c9f680568638fe3e0570b25d67b08682.jpg

20220812_215734.thumb.jpg.bc3158c400d5da015e4a84670eb7c972.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cruisr said:

@highplanesdriftersGreat pics.  Thanks so much.  Quick question.  Can you ask shorex dept (if you get a chance)  if you can use onboard credit for the sub?  I know there are no subs in Norway but I am looking at a S. America voyage and would like to use my OBC.  My TA emailed, twice, to Seabourn and has not heard back.

To the best of my knowledge,  YES.

9 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

But there is a built in champagne chiller on board.

Seriously?  Regardless of the price, the experience would be worth it, I think.  Several years ago, I had booked a small submersible that traveled to the depths along the Cayman Wall.  Jamaica got badly hit by a hurricane, the sub was destroyed, and the company never replaced it.  This is one of a very few regrets that I have in my travels.