Allowed wine

janroatan

They recommend carrying it on with you.  You can then go ahead and pay for corkage if you wish to have it poured in the dining rooms.

If not, I would still carry it on if at all possible.

The reason for this is because any luggage that shows bottles when scanned will then probably be searched, and can delay your suitcase being delivered to your room.

(found this out by experience)

22 minutes ago, janroatan said:

Know 1 bottle of wine allowed per person.Can it be in regular luggage checked in with porter

or does it have to be in carryon bag as you check in?

It does say in their terms and conditions of the passenger contract that no alcohol is allowed in your checked in luggage.  Do not put it in your checked bags.  They say if found, it will be discarded.  They many times will delay your luggage to your cabin, and have you go to the naughty room to claim it. Also,

you will be charged the corkage fee of $20 per bottle.  IF you’re lucky and it’s not discarded.  Not worth it. JMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

It does say in their terms and conditions of the passenger contract that no alcohol is allowed in your checked in luggage

Never seen that in the t&c's

The majority of ports use security staff that are independent of Princess. They couldn't care less if you have three bottles of wine in your checked  luggage. 

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The majority of ports use security staff that are independent of Princess. They couldn't care less if you have three bottles of wine in your checked  luggage. 

It’s in the passage of contract.  They didn’t update the corkage fee to $20 on it, but we know they increased it this year.

Anyway, I have heard of guests who made the mistake of putting alcohol.  Yes, the security is the ones who scan the luggage and they are checking for contraband also.  That’s what PCL security told us. 

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the Ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any contraband or alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the Ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

I might add that the European ports seem to be different than the US ports.  They are independent from PCL, as far as I know.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

True but the port security is checking the carry-on.  Princess scans every bag going onto the ship and will find bottles.

If I were to leave a bottle in a checked bag for some reason, I would tape a note on it explaining I realize this is unusual and am prepared to pay a corkage fee and that it is wine and not alcohol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

True but the port security is checking the carry-on.  Princess scans every bag going onto the ship and will find bottles.

If I were to leave a bottle in a checked bag for some reason, I would tape a note on it explaining I realize this is unusual and am prepared to pay a corkage fee and that it is wine and not alcohol.

A few years ago, I had a bottle in my suitcase once out of FLL, and they delivered my bag to the room, with a nice note that it was not allowed and it was discarded.  Sad 😞 

I’m sure I know who drank it! 😬

Never did that again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skynight said:

Bottom Line. Best to carry on, no issues.

With Princess Plus I don't need to worry, thank goodness. 

For P&O,  two or three wine boxes will go in the suitcases/carry on !

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

In most embarkation ports, I have found the opposite to be the case.  They are far more stringent about searching for alcohol of any type at embarkation.  At port calls, where it is Princess security who is scanning bags and having people go through magnetometers (very old technology ones at that,) things are far more lax.  People routinely bring back beer, wine, and liquor from port calls in their carry-on bags (e.g. backpacks) and they routinely go through without question.  If you buy alcohol on-shore and then declare it when you go back on the ship, they would, obviously, have to issue you a receipt for it and return it to the on the day before disembarkation.

And if anyone thinks this is not for the purpose of selling alcohol onboard for revenue purposes, on our last cruise, there were announcements both in the Patter and the morning show, encouraging duty-free liquor sales on the day before disembarkation, because it could be taken to your state room (with the gentle hint that it could be consumed there.)  I'm pretty sure the alcohol restriction is not entirely for passenger safety, otherwise why would they sell drink packages allowing for 15 drinks per day?

Several weeks ago in San Francisco one of our traveling members boarding the Ruby had a special wine suitcase that held 10 bottles of very expensive wines.  She had it go on with her regular luggage and it was all delivered to her room without questions?  

No corkage fee was charged either which she was willing to pay but was never asked to pay.  Every night in the dining room the wait staff commented on the high quality of the wines she would bring to the table.  I was totally shocked it happened but it did.

Maybe some ports or ships are more lack than others?

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Several weeks ago in San Francisco one of our traveling members boarding the Ruby had a special wine suitcase that held 10 bottles of very expensive wines.  She had it go on with her regular luggage and it was all delivered to her room without questions?  

No corkage fee was charged either which she was willing to pay but was never asked to pay.  Every night in the dining room the wait staff commented on the high quality of the wines she would bring to the table.  I was totally shocked it happened but it did.

Maybe some ports or ships are more lack than others?

I have found that at times my waiter doesn't charge me for every new bottle I bring.

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

In most embarkation ports, I have found the opposite to be the case.  They are far more stringent about searching for alcohol of any type at embarkation.  At port calls, where it is Princess security who is scanning bags and having people go through magnetometers (very old technology ones at that,) things are far more lax.  People routinely bring back beer, wine, and liquor from port calls in their carry-on bags (e.g. backpacks) and they routinely go through without question. 

Yes, I have found that a small amount of wine brought back to the ship doesn't get any reaction from security.  Often there isn't someone nearby at an alcohol table either.  I really do think they are more looking for alcohol than wine and they would also know the corkage fee is chargeable when taken to a DR.  I just go along and if I get charged corkage I know it is expected and if I don't, it's an unexpected delight.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Often there isn't someone nearby at an alcohol table either.

Wow!  Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing an alcohol table on our Alaskan cruise a few weeks ago.  But then alcohol in Alaska was only about half the price of what it is in BC, but for us Californians that is still a high price to pay for booze.

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

"it is wine and not alcohol. "

What is it then?