Live From the Summit, 8/7 to 8/31, from an Aqua passenger viewpoint

Ken the cruiser

17 hours ago, gerelmx said:

yes you are correct the form must be filed before boarding the cruise, we do it on august 17 after we tested negative at the BSI bus terminal in Reykjavik,  we put boarding port Reykjavik and boarding date and time august 19 at 11:30AM.

Celebrity screwup because they don’t avise passengers about this requirement. How X will know/control that all passengers fill the form?  X must ask for the QR code at boarding and denied the boarding to those  passengers without it.

Hope there no be problems when we arrive to Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

OK, so not necessarily the three days before entering Canada, as you are not yet there and have been cruising for more than three days.  So three days before boarding?  We board in Boston, then sea day, then Portland, then Bar Harbor -and then Halifax on the fourth day.  I'm hoping we will receive some email clarification soon, but have not as of yet. 

4 hours ago, bunzini said:

OK, so not necessarily the three days before entering Canada, as you are not yet there and have been cruising for more than three days.  So three days before boarding?  We board in Boston, then sea day, then Portland, then Bar Harbor -and then Halifax on the fourth day.  I'm hoping we will receive some email clarification soon, but have not as of yet. 

For cruise/water arrival you must submit the form/ArriveCan app max 72h before sailing AND you can register your first port if call from day 1-30. 
When you choose Boat/Marine arrival you have the arrival time 1-30days onwards. 
So fill it out BEFORE you walk the gangway to your ship. Then you are all good to sail. 
You will fill in your stateroom number. And answer some health questions. When everything is filled out, you will receive your barcode for arrival/sign of proof for arriveCan. 

As for arrival on air, you only have 72h timeframe. 

We then stuck around for Deal or No Deal. On the first round, the guest participant walked away with $10, and the folks in the audience that bought cards didn’t seem to do much better.

E2FEF782-2B75-425C-9168-F840D9A1C638.thumb.jpeg.0a590d81813d6b6d50aa2ac1f159e674.jpeg

B08E6C4D-72AF-4629-9C65-13699C5FE042.thumb.jpeg.435f1d38dd895625c104a8099653eb08.jpeg

However, the second participant won $350!

FEACED6C-C271-4049-8EF1-DD53B84F3AF2.thumb.jpeg.e6e750f04c4e984ac563b8a16a309487.jpeg

The third participant, unfortunately, who was spinning for a free cruise, wasn’t as fortunate.

11B213AE-033E-422D-A4B2-3B38290FAE26.thumb.jpeg.63f65cbc6ad0d8a94d5a0e6eb7617609.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

I have a laundry question for those in the know. We periodically see a crew member bringing 5-10 pieces of clothing on hangers to someone’s cabin. When we asked our cabin steward how can we have our cleaned clothes put on hangers instead of just folded and shoved into a bag, he said we had to pay extra for that.

So we looked at a laundry slip to see where that “hanger” option was and the only thing we could think of was that these various sightings of clothes on hangers had been dry cleaned, or they were being delivered to someone who had booked a suite. I have to say, though, when we have booked Sky Suites in the past, it was usually hit and miss whether our clothes came back on hangers or not. 

Now, if this helps, we’re Elite+ and get 2 free bags of laundry on each leg and are in an Aqua cabin. So, are these probably just clothes that have been dry cleaned or destined for suite guests, or is there some secret handshake we’re unaware of to get our laundered shirts and pants delivered on hangers? 😁

F388E04E-9A3A-4FF4-A088-3E3FDE7A6E85.thumb.jpeg.aff2fd5f6e5e13c9f6d330bb843ab9b9.jpeg

• Like 1

If you pay by item, instead of a stuff the bag or loyalty bag, you’ll get the laundry ironed and back on hangers.  We were very fortunate on the Apex TA last fall; I put the items we wanted laundered (maybe 3 pair of cotton blend capris for me, a couple of cotton tops, a pair of DH’s lightweight pants and a couple of cotton shirts); not even close to a bag.  I knew this was all, wrote loyalty on the bag with a note asking that they be pressed and on hangers, assuming we’d pay for 5he pressing/hanging.  Back early the second day (not next), pressed and hanging.  No charge ever on our account.  Perhaps because we were at no more than 40% capacity (1200 pax and 1100 crew)?

I certainly won’t expect that this fall.  

Just now, bama4cruisin said:

If you pay by item, instead of a stuff the bag or loyalty bag, you’ll get the laundry ironed and back on hangers.  We were very fortunate on the Apex TA last fall; I put the items we wanted laundered (maybe 3 pair of cotton blend capris for me, a couple of cotton tops, a pair of DH’s lightweight pants and a couple of cotton shirts); not even close to a bag.  I knew this was all, wrote loyalty on the bag with a note asking that they be pressed and on hangers, assuming we’d pay for 5he pressing/hanging.  Back early the second day (not next), pressed and hanging.  No charge ever on our account.  Perhaps because we were at no more than 40% capacity (1200 pax and 1100 crew)?

I certainly won’t expect that this fall.  

That makes sense. Thanks! If we were actually paying the retail “per piece” laundry price for our clothes, we would probably expect that they would come back on hangers. 

• Like 1

We are Zenith level Captain's Club members.  For years our laundry has been returned on hangers.  We book Aqua class, Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites.

Since the resumption of cruises after the global suspension we have only been in Sky Suites, and on the three ships we have lately cruised (Millennium, Solstice and Eclipse) all laundry has been again turned on hangers.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We are Zenith level Captain's Club members.  For years our laundry has been returned on hangers.  We book Aqua class, Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites.

Since the resumption of cruises after the global suspension we have only been in Sky Suites, and on the three ships we have lately cruised (Millennium, Solstice and Eclipse) all laundry has been again turned on hangers.

That's about the best remaining Zenith perk.  Full complementary laundry, not bag service.

• Like 3

Just now, Northern Aurora said:

Good to know! This sounds like something to look forward to when we make Zenith. We just have a little over 1700 points to go! 😂

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

That's about the best remaining Zenith perk.  Full complementary laundry, not bag service.

The laundry on hangers perk was a complete surprise to me (they even ironed my PJ bottoms and brought them back over hangers).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I have a laundry question for those in the know. We periodically see a crew member bringing 5-10 pieces of clothing on hangers to someone’s cabin. When we asked our cabin steward how can we have our cleaned clothes put on hangers instead of just folded and shoved into a bag, he said we had to pay extra for that.

So we looked at a laundry slip to see where that “hanger” option was and the only thing we could think of was that these various sightings of clothes on hangers had been dry cleaned, or they were being delivered to someone who had booked a suite. I have to say, though, when we have booked Sky Suites in the past, it was usually hit and miss whether our clothes came back on hangers or not. 

Now, if this helps, we’re Elite+ and get 2 free bags of laundry on each leg and are in an Aqua cabin. So, are these probably just clothes that have been dry cleaned or destined for suite guests, or is there some secret handshake we’re unaware of to get our laundered shirts and pants delivered on hangers? 😁

F388E04E-9A3A-4FF4-A088-3E3FDE7A6E85.thumb.jpeg.aff2fd5f6e5e13c9f6d330bb843ab9b9.jpeg

Any thing that is Dry Clean or Press will come back with hangers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just went to another interesting lecture by Orly Orlyson covering the Explorers Club whose members go back to before Teddy Roosevelt. I apologize, but much of his lecture included video clips. 

F5C3EAB0-EF87-4290-9B65-037EA2C22FC7.thumb.jpeg.cfd71b06609a232996c869fea2548ea8.jpeg

F0FB69AD-E912-4B19-ACC8-A8EDB6BE4BAA.thumb.jpeg.e30adf84b3481f40e33dad1edd2cb582.jpeg

1C671E0A-7BC5-45D6-851A-C14C12DB878C.thumb.jpeg.d38a996a776edf1914b63982c25c2b09.jpeg

Wow so lucky to have these lectures.

I wish all cruise lines would do more of these.

Just now, Oceansaway17 said:

Wow so lucky to have these lectures.

I wish all cruise lines would do more of these.

We have found that with at least Celebrity and Princess, the longer the cruise the more potential for multiple  lectures. But in most cases a cruise usually has to be at least 11-12 days in length and not a B2B. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We have found that with at least Celebrity and Princess, the longer the cruise the more potential for multiple  lectures. But in most cases a cruise usually has to be at least 11-12 days in length and not a B2B. 

Yes but at least some 7 day cruises have them in Alaska.

I think on sea days if not in warmer climates, having lots of lectures and trivia allow for stimulation to the mind and learning.

And I bet a lot of folks would love more but they have to pay the folks who come on board unless the cruise staff puts these together.

• Like 1

We were on the first leg of the cruise and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Also have loved following along with your adventures on the first and now the second part of your B2B. It's fun since I can really relate to all your posts, having been on the August 7th cruise. We will be back on the Summit on October 3 for a B2B in Aqua Class. We've eaten in Blu on previous Summit cruises so we're familiar with the restaurant. I have a question about timing dinner so that the restaurant is not totally packed. We were able to socially distance in the Cosmopolitan by eating very early. I know that opportunity will be limited in Blu but just thought I'd ask your impression. Thanks! Mary Ann

23 minutes ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

We were on the first leg of the cruise and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Also have loved following along with your adventures on the first and now the second part of your B2B. It's fun since I can really relate to all your posts, having been on the August 7th cruise. We will be back on the Summit on October 3 for a B2B in Aqua Class. We've eaten in Blu on previous Summit cruises so we're familiar with the restaurant. I have a question about timing dinner so that the restaurant is not totally packed. We were able to socially distance in the Cosmopolitan by eating very early. I know that opportunity will be limited in Blu but just thought I'd ask your impression. Thanks! Mary Ann

On the last leg after the first night when it was packed early on, it was pretty calm between 5-6 pm for the rest of the cruise. But after about 6:30, the tables started to definitely fill up.

Now on this cruise there seems to be a more “early eating” demographic, or at least that’s the way it seemed, as Blu was pretty full by the time we left at 6:30. BTW we get there at 5 pm sharp when the doors open. However, for the last couple of nights, there have been plenty of tables available between 5-6 pm.

But if you come early, scope out the (non window) table that works best for you and then tell the Blu hostess your preference, that seemed to work pretty good for us on both legs. But like I said, we’re there every night at 5 pm. If you come at 6 or later, all bets are off if you want to eat at the same “socially distanced” table every night. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yes but at least some 7 day cruises have them in Alaska.

I think on sea days if not in warmer climates, having lots of lectures and trivia allow for stimulation to the mind and learning.

And I bet a lot of folks would love more but they have to pay the folks who come on board unless the cruise staff puts these together.

That’s true, as they usually have a naturalist giving lectures on the Alaska cruises, which are also usually a little more expensive than your run of the mill 7 day cruises like those in the Caribbean or Mediterranean which attract a more younger crowd, especially in the summer and on spring break.

I know when we were on a 21 day B3B last month on the Regal Princess with around 3000 passengers onboard on each leg, there were maybe 20-30 people in the main theater, at most, at the one lecture they had on each sea day. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

On the last leg after the first night when it was packed early on, it was pretty calm between 5-6 pm for the rest of the cruise. But after about 6:30, the tables started to definitely fill up.

Now on this cruise there seems to be a more “early eating” demographic, or at least that’s the way it seemed, as Blu was pretty full by the time we left at 6:30. BTW we get there at 5 pm sharp when the doors open. However, for the last couple of nights, there have been plenty of tables available between 5-6 pm.

But if you come early, scope out the (non window) table that works best for you and then tell the Blu hostess your preference, that seemed to work pretty good for us on both legs. But like I said, we’re there every night at 5 pm. If you come at 6 or later, all bets are off if you want to eat at the same “socially distanced” table every night. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your detailed response. We ate each night at 5 also in order to ensure a socially distanced table. The hostess in Cosmopolitan was  great about accommodating us. We prefer to eat later but decided to change our habits to reduce our chances of testing covid positive. In July I tested positive after an 8 day Equinox cruise so I was nervous about this one. We were very careful, wearing masks much of the time. We will follow your suggestions and do our best to stay healthy. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. I'll enjoy following along the remainder of your trip. Stay safe!