Carnival Corporation Upgrading Global Fleet with Fuel- and Energy-Saving Technology

BlerkOne

15 minutes ago, silvercrikhix said:

Anybody still wondering why all the cutbacks?

Greenwashing the industry? Straws and tablecloths sure. But the most recent round of cutbacks - I don't think the two are related really.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Greenwashing the industry? Straws and tablecloths sure. But the most recent round of cutbacks - I don't think the two are related really.

There's a lot of pressure around the world to cut carbon emissions. Short of replacing ships, reducing fuel consumption is the next best step to take.

I also would not be surprised to see at least Seabourn jump on the hydrogen bandwagon, presuming Carnival keeps the brand. Viking and Explora (MSC) have already committed to hydrogen mewbuilds.

4 minutes ago, tidecat said:

There's a lot of pressure around the world to cut carbon emissions. Short of replacing ships, reducing fuel consumption is the next best step to take.

I also would not be surprised to see at least Seabourn jump on the hydrogen bandwagon, presuming Carnival keeps the brand. Viking and Explora (MSC) have already committed to hydrogen mewbuilds.

I wonder how viable a nuclear cruise ship would be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

That should make a lot of people happy! :classic_wink:

They can monitor the temperature and adjust it to the most efficient.  That doesn't necessarily mean the most comfortable, but it will save money.  May not make everyone happy 🥴

1 minute ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

They can monitor the temperature and adjust it to the most efficient.  That doesn't necessarily mean the most comfortable, but it will save money.  May not make everyone happy 🥴

Like the old saying goes, you can't make everyone happy all of the time. :classic_wink:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, silvercrikhix said:

Anybody still wondering why all the cutbacks?

"In addition to the environmental benefits, the program upon completion is expected to generate over $150 million in annual fuel cost savings."   

I'm not sure saving $150m a year in fuel costs is related to closing the pizza desk at 4AM.   Another useless expense, food waste, aka "taste and toss" is probably $100m a year.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

Hmmm....maybe a wind powered cruise ship?

I was impressed by this statistic from the Carnival report above "our absolute carbon emissions peaked in 2011 despite significant capacity growth over the past decade. "

There are bits and pieces of hardware around to contribute to a lower impact cruise ship.  It would seem the three /four day market out of say Miami might be best as you would be near places to charge.

Wind turbines (Flettner) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flettner_rotor - or plain sails i.e. Windstar

Batteries (i.e. Tesla Megapack)- maybe a big solar farm on Grand Bahama 

Hydrogen (made with solar/wind, not coal or LNG please)

Biofuels (these can tricky - input vs output efficiency- see corn Ethanol) 

Solar panels aboard on walls/roofs - summer hotel loads are vast however 

High efficiency AC units /heat pumps  

Given the ferocity of recent air conditioning complaints, Carnival the core brand may not be the best place now for a low emissions/eco ship.  But looking out ten years, newer passengers might be interested.  

Rcl bought fuel 6 months ahead and carnival didnt. ..I think this really hurt carnivals bottom line.

The new ships using LNG idk .. I hope it wouldnt run short and be more scarce to use. Natural gas is now forecast to be in short supply next winter.

Hoping for the best. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl bought fuel 6 months ahead and carnival didnt. ..I think this really hurt carnivals bottom line.

Carnival has never hedged fuel, yet it seems rumors about fuel surcharges mostly mention Royal?

The new ships using LNG idk .. I hope it wouldnt run short and be more scarce to use. Natural gas is now forecast to be in short supply next winter.

I don't know about a shortage in the US. Globally, sure.

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival has never hedged fuel, yet it seems rumors about fuel surcharges mostly mention Royal?

I don't know about a shortage in the US. Globally, sure.

Rumors? The only thing I've read is royal says they have no plans to do surcharges. They have come out strong and said no, wouldnt happen. Maybe that's what you read.

I'm watching jubilee for better prices. So watching LNG. I watch oil trade daily. Let's not go there, too crazy right now. I also want prima but prices are even more crazy. Dont need the extras like 2nd airfare free. After next march I'm free until late nov so if I saw a good price on carnival I'm there. Looking. Not finding any deals that match open dates. I'm good with last minute deals. 

Rcl hinting after aug 8th there will be more testing changes. I sure hope pre testing is gone. If it's just about being vaccinated boring. For sure more would book though if its removed. My TA says he has a list of people waiting to book. 

I'm ready to book, carnival no deals for us regular out of texas. Bring em on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Rumors? The only thing I've read is royal says they have no plans to do surcharges. They have come out strong and said no, wouldnt happen. Maybe that's what you read.

I'm watching jubilee for better prices. So watching LNG. I watch oil trade daily. Let's not go there, too crazy right now. I also want prima but prices are even more crazy. Dont need the extras like 2nd airfare free. After next march I'm free until late nov so if I saw a good price on carnival I'm there. Looking. Not finding any deals that match open dates. I'm good with last minute deals. 

Rcl hinting after aug 8th there will be more testing changes. I sure hope pre testing is gone. If it's just about being vaccinated boring. For sure more would book though if its removed. My TA says he has a list of people waiting to book. 

I'm ready to book, carnival no deals for us regular out of texas. Bring em on.

Had the same comment from cruise package site....drop the pre, and here we come. Open the gates and beat RCL....quit playing catch up...be aggressive. 

I welcome the changes. Less fuel use means more profit. Sure a few people will not like the changes, but the list is quite reasonable and has been used extensively on land already. 

• “Comprehensive upgrades to each ship's hotel HVAC systems, accounting for 25% of a ship's energy consumption, to improve hotel ventilation efficiency using sophisticated variable speed drives and on-demand systems throughout public areas, cabins and galleys. Additionally, indoor air quality is continuously monitored and maintained to the highest standards at sea, using an industry-leading air filtration and ultraviolet-C treatment throughout the ship.”

No complaints here. Hotels on land have been doing this for years. Disney pioneered this approach and have been using cooling on demand since the late 90’s. 

• “Technical systems upgrades on each ship using variable speed drives and on-demand automated control systems for engine room ventilation, main air conditioning chillers and cooling pumps, which together dramatically lower the energy needed to deliver cooling around the ship.”

Modern HVAC systems are much more efficient than older systems from even 10 years ago. 

• “State-of-the-art LED lighting systems installed throughout each ship to reduce both power consumption and heat load generation – creating a dual benefit from lower air conditioning demand.”

This is fantastic. LED’s last longer, use less energy, and generate less heat than incandescent or fluorescent lighting. Lighting using exclusively LEDs will also make cooling more efficient.

• “Remote monitoring and maintenance improvements that maximize benefits from the upgrade packages, including improved instrumentation and automated management systems, with nonstop ship-to-shore connectivity. Expanded remote monitoring and analysis of each ship's energy performance and technical status ensure peak efficiency and minimal down times.”

Remote monitoring is always useful for complex systems. 

• Like 1

I see the Royal denials and not even rumors with Carnival.

I'm watching the first of 4 gas wells being drilled about 1000 feet from one of our houses and got a call from a company that wants to put a pipeline across some land I own in Texas. Enjoying the increase in royalty payments, but nobody can predict future events or what impact they might have on prices. To hedge is to potentially throw away profits. It is why Carnival doesn't hedge.

I hope a more effective booster is released soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I see the Royal denials and not even rumors with Carnival.

I'm watching the first of 4 gas wells being drilled about 1000 feet from one of our houses and got a call from a company that wants to put a pipeline across some land I own in Texas. Enjoying the increase in royalty payments, but nobody can predict future events or what impact they might have on prices. To hedge is to potentially throw away profits. It is why Carnival doesn't hedge.

I hope a more effective booster is released soon.

Wow arent you the lucky one. I'm envious of your royalties. 

My TA posted this from the TA site which is why we think more protocols coming after Aug 14th. If rcl removes testing for 7 day cruises so will carnival. They are almost in tandem.

For those clients booked after August 14, 2022, please await the specific protocol details from us related to those sailings. 

As we begin to transition to a point where everyone, regardless of vaccination status, will be able to sail with us once again, we continue to work closely with our destination partners. Additional information will soon follow, however, until then, current vaccine guidance remains unchanged.