Flight to Seattle canceled - can we board Eurodam in Juneau?

LoraJ

31 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I hate united.  They are truly the armpit of the airline industry. 

It’s been years since they egregiously “done me wrong”.  I have neither forgotten nor forgiven.

• Like 2

PCR tests done. Guest services called my parents on the ship for them to reach out to me to tell me to take the tests again and my dad said "They are doing that right now.". Everyone involved is aware of our situation and letting us board the ship. Hopefully they didn't cancel my spa pass. I am going to need that therapeutic pool when I get on board. 

Now I am going put on my PJ's and some Dateline while I stay on hold with baggage services to figure out my luggage debacle. The texting representatives were too vague about where to get the bags.

Thanks everyone for listening to my travel horror story, will keep you posted.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

@LoraJ, HAL should be aware of the luggage issue and arrange to have it delivered to the ship in Juneau. 
What airline are you flying tomorrow and where  are you staying in Juneau ?  If United is getting the luggage to Juneau tomorrow, your hotel should be able to assist you . If not , Hal should have the luggage delivered to the ship shortly after arrival. 
🙏🤞everything goes well.

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@LoraJ, HAL should be aware of the luggage issue and arrange to have it delivered to the ship in Juneau. 
What airline are you flying tomorrow and where  are you staying in Juneau ?  If United is getting the luggage to Juneau tomorrow, your hotel should be able to assist you . If not , Hal should have the luggage delivered to the ship shortly after arrival. 
🙏🤞everything goes well.

We are flying Alaska Airlines tomorrow. Can;t remember the name of the hotel, but it is downtown. United said someone at the Juneau airport will assist me. Fingers crossed.

Does anyone by chance  have Juneau restaurant recommendations? 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It’s been years since they egregiously “done me wrong”.  I have neither forgotten nor forgiven.

Same although I was forced to fly with them with them in March when my flight got canceled and amazingly I didn’t have any issues.  It’s a last resort for me to fly with them.

19 minutes ago, LoraJ said:

We are flying Alaska Airlines tomorrow. Can;t remember the name of the hotel, but it is downtown. United said someone at the Juneau airport will assist me. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for you that you and you luggage are reunited and have an uneventful flight tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am glad this ordeal is being set right for you.  Let’s hope there is more good news in the morning.   Your post prompted me to read the news reports, it seems a series of storms on the east coast caused massive cancellations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LoraJ said:

Hangar on the Wharf( it’s whee the port webcam is located) Twisted Fish - at base of tram stop, Taku fish store. 
Safe travels, Alaska airlines is a much better choice than United 🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Hangar on the Wharf( it’s whee the port webcam is located) Twisted Fish - at base of tram stop, Taku fish store. 
Safe travels, Alaska airlines is a much better choice than United 🤞

At least as of two weeks ago Twisted Fish had not reopened, only the fish store portion of Taku, not the restaurant.  They were not sure when it was going to reopen.

1 hour ago, LoraJ said:

Deckhand Dave's fish taco's.  But only if it's not raining - it's mostly outdoors.  We tried it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was quite good. 

• Thanks 1

For getting from the airport to downtown it's probably easiest to grab a taxi just outside the doors (be quick); about $30.  There is bus service, but limited.  We tried Uber, and it failed to locate a driver (and estimated a fare higher than the taxi metered fare turned out).  Mendenhall glacier is quite close to the airport; you can get there by city bus + walking or taxi.

• Thanks 2

I don't expect United will forward your luggage anywhere if you are flying on Alaska Airlines.

Expect to find your luggage at United baggage services EWR if you didn't reclaim.

Your only option boarding in Juneau would be to disembark in Victoria if the ship is a round trip Seattle voyage.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

8 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

I don't expect United will forward your luggage anywhere if you are flying on Alaska Airlines.

Expect to find your luggage at United baggage services EWR if you didn't reclaim.

Your only option boarding in Juneau would be to disembark in Victoria if the ship is a round trip Seattle voyage.

David

It depends.  When we went through this a few weeks ago we let American handle everything since they canceled the flight.  They made sure the luggage was transferred to the new airline.  Sis arrived home with all of her luggage, on time

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

It depends.  When we went through this a few weeks ago we let American handle everything since they canceled the flight.  They made sure the luggage was transferred to the new airline.  Sis arrived home with all of her luggage, on time

I would trust American.  United in something else and not in a good way.

Delta cancelled my Seattle flight a few hours before scheduled boarding. Scheduled through flight ease and never heard from them and no answer to emergency number or from HAL. No other flights out of San Diego. Ended up driving two hours to Ontario airport for Alaska flight. Had to book last minute so expensive and then pay for parking as well. Filed a claim with  HAL insurance. Still no answer from them, except a sorry it’s taking so long, and it’s now over two months.   So traveling is risky these days. I won’t be flying again for a while!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lstrong said:

Delta cancelled my Seattle flight a few hours before scheduled boarding. Scheduled through flight ease and never heard from them and no answer to emergency number or from HAL. No other flights out of San Diego. Ended up driving two hours to Ontario airport for Alaska flight. Had to book last minute so expensive and then pay for parking as well. Filed a claim with  HAL insurance. Still no answer from them, except a sorry it’s taking so long, and it’s now over two months.   So traveling is risky these days. I won’t be flying again for a while!

There is no excuse for them not having anyone to answer the emergency number.  I hope you hear something soon.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I would trust American.  United in something else and not in a good way.

These days United actually does better in general on operations than American. American has had the most issues with operation this summer of the major US airlines. A different story from 5 to 10 years ago when American was better and United worse.

Fairly massive problems due to weather at a number of east coast airports. 

Edited by ldtr

I so hope you have a smooth flight to Juneau! I always recommend flying Alaska Airlines for Alaska cruises because they have so many Alaska options. Tracy’s Crab Shack is the place everyone raves about in Juneau. We enjoy the Red Dog Saloon. The Hangar was fine. Happy cruising once you board!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I so hope you have a smooth flight to Juneau! I always recommend flying Alaska Airlines for Alaska cruises because they have so many Alaska options. Tracy’s Crab Shack is the place everyone raves about in Juneau. We enjoy the Red Dog Saloon. The Hangar was fine. Happy cruising once you board!

To be honest I found Tracy's crab shack near the tram to be disapointing. High prices, over crowded, and kind of mushy crab.

Might be different with Tracy's 2 which is more downtown.

Edited by ldtr

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Hope all ends well for you...I love Alaska Airlines!  The Hangar is our favorite restaurant in Juneau.  I even have a Hangar t shirt!

• Thanks 1

Alaska and American have been partner airlines (One World) for several years and are soon to merge.  Therefore, luggage from one can be expected to be transferred by the other under certain circumstances.

United does not have any alliance with either of the above airlines.

David

5 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Alaska and American have been partner airlines (One World) for several years and are soon to merge.  Therefore, luggage from one can be expected to be transferred by the other under certain circumstances.

United does not have any alliance with either of the above airlines.

David

Say what?  Merge?  Source please.  

My opinion based upon their announced merger of frequent flyer miles programs and more.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/airline-partners/american-airlines

Also, many of the prior American Airlines nonstop flights are now operated by Alaska.  American continues to utilize major hubs instead.  

In San Diego, Alaska has moved to adjacent check-in counters, shares gates, and luggage carousels with American.

Spirit & Frontier, JetBlue & ???.

That is how I see it.

David