New Sail Safe Covid Polices Effective 9/2/22

hernando52

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

Where are you seeing that Europe is way more confusing?? Based on what I'm reading all covid protocols in the EU have been dropped except for Spain (and Luxenberg but that country is land locked so we probably don't need to include it). 

Spain was the main one I was thinking of as I was just reading about their testing rules.  :)  

9 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Spain was the main one I was thinking of as I was just reading about their testing rules.  🙂

I think Spain is the only EU country remaining with ANY covid protocols (Canada and Bermuda the only NA countries)

The world has opened up. No pretesting, no vaccines, no quarantines!!

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-without-any-travel-restrictions-or-entry-requirements/

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think Spain is the only EU country remaining with ANY covid protocols (Canada and Bermuda the only NA countries)

The world has opened up. No pretesting, no vaccines, no quarantines!!

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-without-any-travel-restrictions-or-entry-requirements/

Athens still requires covid tests pre boarding.

The only change for this port seems to be antigen can now be taken 3 days prior rather than 2 days.

• Thanks 1

I expected the pre-testing to be removed so no surprise there.  I was hoping NCL would hold firm (at least for a while) on not allowing unvaccinated adults on-board.  Unfortunately they are removing that requirement as well.  I guess I'll have to re-evaluate my thoughts on taking a cruise before the end of the year.:classic_sad:

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

I expected the pre-testing to be removed so no surprise there.  I was hoping NCL would hold firm (at least for a while) on not allowing unvaccinated adults on-board.  Unfortunately they are removing that requirement as well.  I guess I'll have to re-evaluate my thoughts on taking a cruise before the end of the year.:classic_sad:

This is a disappointment to me as well, though I'm far too close to my sail date to seriously consider cancelling. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Another xx pages of verbiage! 

Make it simple. Kept it simple.

1. Cruise out of US:

No test required unless you will visit port(s):

a.

b.

2. Cruise out of Countries requiring test:

a.

b.

We are not lawyers and can NOT read between the lines.

KISS! 💋 

This is how I feel... My French Polynesia cruise is coming up in a couple months and I just want to know what my requirements are. 

41 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

Looks like vaccines and testing are still required for adults on the Canada/New England cruise. 

Yes, but those of us cruising from a US port that stops in Canada need to keep a close eye on Canada's requirements.  I'll be checking NCL's SailSafe page but also double-checking Canada's official requirements.  Things are changing rapidly.

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

I have now seen enough anecdotal evidence to convince me that being vaccinated (which I am, and double boosted) does not prevent catching or transmitting COVID.  But I do understand your thinking, as I was there myself until recently.

• Like 7

This is great news but don't go thinking it means there's no Covid on the ships.

We just got off the Encore yesterday, everyone tested negative before the cruise, my son developed a cough on day 5, son and daughter tested positive yesterday (30 minutes after leaving the ship) and I tested positive this morning.

(It is what it is, and we still had a great cruise)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MarkNH said:

This is great news but don't go thinking it means there's no Covid on the ships.

Oh.For.sure. There is covid onboard the ships and there will likely be MORE covid on the ships with reduced protocols. That's the reality.

If you are truly afraid of catching covid, best to select a vacation with less population density. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, MarkNH said:

Or in your stores or at children's schools or at the bus stop or even at your doctor's office during your routine checkup.  Covid is not going anywhere, that we can all agree on.  The problem is when you ask anyone what that sentence means.  :) 

• Like 5

Just read this update earlier in the day.  So far so confused.  For Greek departures.  They have been more particular than other european ports for some time, both in terms of actually requiring a test anyway, but also the type of test.  Must be administered by a third person etc, supervised self tests not accepted.  They recently changed the timing prior to the cruise, and have again, so that you can get either type of test 72 hours before.  Which is madness when you think of it.  Why bother when you can test negative, and then in the intervening 3 days pick up covid and take it right onto the ship!!  

It's the type of test that there are no details.  The requirement for it to be administered by a third person has gone, but what in its place?  A supervised test in person, online, or what.  Or just any old test you can buy from the chemist and do for yourself.    These were being accepted for travel to the UK a while ago, but were obviously open to fraudulently using someone else's if yours turned out to be positive.  

Apparently this is from 3rd September.  We sail on 10th and have a third party test booked, but could do without the hassle of having to go to a clinic for this if we can avoid it.  But in the absence of any other detail, perhaps I should leave it where it is.  For the moment anyway.  No doubt this question will be asked and norwegian may find out more comprehensive information.  

1 hour ago, MichiganBound said:

I guess I'll have to re-evaluate my thoughts on taking a cruise before the end of the year.:classic_sad:

Further to the above, I had been looking a cruise in 2022 that could work for me and ensure all adults on-board are vaccinated😀.  The October 10 Jewel cruise departs Vancouver and ends up in Los Angeles 9 days later.  As I understand it, a cruise originating in Canada only allows vaccinated adults on-board...at least according to current rules.    So I could fly into Vancouver a few days ahead of time and board a cruise that meets my preferences.  Also, I love the Jewel-class vessels.  Big bonus, the cruise has a number of sea days which I also love.  Maybe I can cruise on NCL before the end of 2022 afterall!

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Oh.For.sure. There is covid onboard the ships and there will likely be MORE covid on the ships with reduced protocols. That's the reality.

If you are truly afraid of catching covid, best to select a vacation with less population density. 

The only reason I fear getting covid is if it would ruin my travel plans, so catching covid onboard is no more of a concern to me as catching any of the other things I could get. I'd rather not get it, but if I do then so be it.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

If you are in a foreign country a few days pre cruise it means finding a place, taking time out of your day, if insurance would cover it in US it may not abroad, and it is time specific

3 hours ago, oteixeira said:

For a lot of people it actually effects them physically due to the stress and anxiety the test places on the entire vacation plan.  Imagine you paid to take your family of 4 on a cruise and had to fly to the destination, stay in a hotel, etc.  Now you paid all that out of pocket, get to the port and have to take a test before you know it is OK to continue, even though none of you have any outward signs of sickness at all.   The head of that family has a lot on their mind leading up to and going through this.  

If people are truly sick and have symptoms the old stand by form at the port should stop them from boarding, no need to add a test (do you have a fever, do you have a cough, etc).  I know people will argue that folks lie on that form, but that is not the fault of the line, that is the fault of people.

Thank you both for responding. I appreciate it. I don't understand, but I am glad to have insight into why others are upset about the testing. Personally, test, or not, I don't care. I know I'll be getting into the testing queue in less than three weeks for a Bermuda trip. If I/we test positive, a quick call to travel insurance and on to booking a new adventure! I suppose I'm a bit more carefree than your average person though. 

Again, my gratitude to you for responding!

We cruise in October and I am feeling... defeated? Like I am leading my newly vaccinated toddler and senior parents directly into a cramped germ warehouse? I don't know.  We chose cruising over flying *because* they had enhanced safety protocols. If I could mandate that everyone with vacation-ruining communicable diseases be allowed FCC/refunds and be forced to stay home, heck yes I would do that!  Flu? Stay home! Norovirus? Stay home! Covid? Stay home!

It's especially frustrating because ships are still reporting staffing issues. NCL kids clubs are still fully closed for under 5s. Ships aren't ready to welcome more people back.

Our TA reported they haven't received official notice of the change, so no word on potential cancellation FCC or refunds based on the policy change.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, zjc said:

I’m very confused, if I leave from Seattle and the cruise calls in Canada do we need to test?

Canada requires testing, so you do have to test. Up to 2 days out for antigen, up to 72 hours out for PCR.

NOTE the specific wording, so it doesn't trip you up. 2 DAYS, so midnight cut off for antigen. And 72 HOURS, which cuts off at the exact 72 hour mark, so you want to make sure that something like a 2 hour delay at boarding won't cut you off.

Also, you must fill out vaccination proof and info on the ArriveCAN app prior to docking at a Canadian port.

Edited by Snowrose

23 minutes ago, funfetti said:

We cruise in October and I am feeling... defeated? Like I am leading my newly vaccinated toddler and senior parents directly into a cramped germ warehouse? I don't know.  We chose cruising over flying *because* they had enhanced safety protocols. If I could mandate that everyone with vacation-ruining communicable diseases be allowed FCC/refunds and be forced to stay home, heck yes I would do that!  Flu? Stay home! Norovirus? Stay home! Covid? Stay home!

It's especially frustrating because ships are still reporting staffing issues. NCL kids clubs are still fully closed for under 5s. Ships aren't ready to welcome more people back.

Our TA reported they haven't received official notice of the change, so no word on potential cancellation FCC or refunds based on the policy change.

With any of these diseases there is a day or more that you're symptom-free and will test negative, so it's impossible for everyone to actually know in advance that they are sick. You will always run this risk then, no matter what the policy is.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, funfetti said:

Well, I hope NCL will provide a FCC for you. In an ever-evolving global health crisis, one should never make plans based on the requirements of the day. I'm sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way. If no FCC, then I do hope you, your kid, and parents enjoy yourselves on the cruise!

Just take some personal safety precautions and hopefully you'll have an amazing time with no sniffles, or worse. Good luck...

1 hour ago, funfetti said:

I’d be surprised if NCL offer any refunds or FCC for this change.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Snowrose said:

Canada requires testing, so you do have to test. Up to 2 days out for antigen, up to 72 hours out for PCR.

NOTE the specific wording, so it doesn't trip you up. 2 DAYS, so midnight cut off for antigen. And 72 HOURS, which cuts off at the exact 72 hour mark, so you want to make sure that something like a 2 hour delay at boarding won't cut you off.

Also, you must fill out vaccination proof and info on the ArriveCAN app prior to docking at a Canadian port.

Canada goes further than just testing, it does NOT allow unvaccinated guests (over 12 years old). 

These new rules will confuse a heck of a lot of people, now hoping to be able to cruise (when unvaccinated). They will arrive at the terminal for their Alaska cruise, finding out that they are not allowed to board, since they are not vaccinated and the Canadian rule still applies. 

While you can get tested last minute or complete your ArriveCan, there is no last-minute way to get vaccinated. 

I see the drama already unfolding... 

Below a screenshot of the Canadian rules:

image.png.e65d94db8bc69078ebaef3f736da05a8.png

• Like 1