Breath Breath Breath

ScottC4746

I must remember to breath.  Logged into X's website and I have 25 days to go.  Actually 23.

Two days before staying at LAX airport at the Sheraton.

Next day fly in the pointy end on Delta on a 6 AM flight and spend the night at the Marriott Waterfront Hotel with dinner at Pier 66

Next day board our cruise with an 11:30 board time.  Do I dare arrive at the port at 10:30 anticipating earlier boarding?

• Like 1

It's interesting...this boarding time thing.  After we got all our on-line check in stuff done, we were assigned a 10:30 arrival time.  A couple days later, was checking on the luggage tag availability and now it says 11:30.  I'll be there at 10:30

Actually, arrive anytime you wish before the latest time assigned most recently on the app.

There can only be two (2) outcomes: 1) you board at whatever time you arrive OR 2) you will be asked to return at the assigned time (whichever it is the pier shows).

Get in a quick walk all while taking a deep breath in anticipation of board, if the latter happens...

bon voyage

• Like 3

Perhaps things have changed since we last cruised ( before Covid ).

A few years ago , while sitting in the waiting area ( not to be confused with the " weighting " area--- the OVC ), the people sitting beside us told me:

" When they start boarding , just head to the escalator --- nobody checks, and you will be on board ".

It worked every time .

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

A few years ago , while sitting in the waiting area ( not to be confused with the " weighting " area--- the OVC ), the people sitting beside us told me:

" When they start boarding , just head to the escalator --- nobody checks, and you will be on board ".

It worked every time .

Things have changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

It worked every time .

I have cruised 5 times this year, and never once had a problem with the boarding time - we just showed up - always when the boarding time begins - and we get right in.  Once, but only once, there were pseudo lines with boarding time signs - we just got into the first line.  No one has ever asked or checked.  3 were American ports, 2 were European ports.  We just show up, get checked in, et voila.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lexmiller said:

I have cruised 5 times this year, and never once had a problem with the boarding time - we just showed up - always when the boarding time begins - and we get right in.  Once, but only once, there were pseudo lines with boarding time signs - we just got into the first line.  No one has ever asked or checked.  3 were American ports, 2 were European ports.  We just show up, get checked in, et voila.  

It would be helpful to know what category of cabin you were in and if you have any status.  Were you in a suite?  What's your status on Celebrity?  Were they checking ID?

Yesterday we arrived at 11:25 with an 11:00 checkin time.   As a Suite Guest all was quick but we did have to wait 5 minutes as the gate person opened the sitting area for the 11:00 general (all non-suite) guests that were already checked in.      At least on our cruise(Summit)  they were boarding Suites around 11:15 and all other 11:00 about 11:30

1 hour ago, jwlane said:

You realize they didn't assign boarding times back then, right?

I believe you are correct---

FYI--I can't remember what I shot in golf two days ago, but just know I'm still upset.

Can you imagine missing a 4 ft , downhill putt, that broke to the left ?

Perhaps what they did do was board passengers based on their status , or stateroom type ?

Whatever-- we took the advice of the gentleman that knew the " system " and got on as soon as they started boarding passengers. Never had a problem.

7 X cruises in the past 12 months and Assigned Boarding Times (after the high rollers got called) was never checked. I think they were just trying to discourage a mob of people showing up at the same time? (super spreader?)

Well in didn't work as far as I could tell.

These on US and overseas departures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

It would be helpful to know what category of cabin you were in and if you have any status.  Were you in a suite?  What's your status on Celebrity?  Were they checking ID?

We are Elite Plus - not in a suite so far this year for those cruises.  Trust me - the assigned boarding times meant NOTHING - never checked, status is irrelevant.

10 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

We are Elite Plus - not in a suite so far this year for those cruises.  Trust me - the assigned boarding times meant NOTHING - never checked, status is irrelevant.

If the assigned times mean nothing, then how will I ever be FIRST in line?

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I know you're kidding, but we have very often been the second in line!  We usually get there early (10:30), can't wait to get on board.  Retreat class, yes, they have their own waiting area, etc, but everyone else, you just show up.

18 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

I know you're kidding, but we have very often been the second in line!  We usually get there early (10:30), can't wait to get on board.  Retreat class, yes, they have their own waiting area, etc, but everyone else, you just show up.

Well I’ll just get there at 10.29 then!  I just know X is going to email me right now to say I have early check in.  🙃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

As long as I'm not there you will have a chance.

Or, you can book a suite and beat me by 6 minutes and $5000.

• Haha 2

If we are in suites I want to be on board to have lunch in Luminae. Luminae normally closes about 1:30. If not in a suite, it is more about what time is check out at the hotel. I will say my easiest check in was when I got to the port without my wallet. Luck was on my side as the cruise was out of Seattle. I drove home and got my wallet. Check in at Seattle about 2pm is great. What lines.