Unsolicited Call From RCI/Celebrity About Assistance for Next Cruise?

cluso

A couple days ago, I received a phone call/message from RCI/Celebrity 305-539-6000 asking if I needed assistance with dining or shore excursions on our October TA. I couldn't answer the phone, so "Lisa" left a message with a call back number of 800-556-8209.  We did the final payment earlier and had set up our dining.

I never needed to call them, we are Elite, so pretty much have things figured out.

I was surprised because reading the boards, it seemed like they were shorthanded on personnel to answer inbound calls.

Hope I didn't miss the Upgrade Fairy.  Don't know if they do that anymore.  We had one upgrade call in 2009 for our 2-week Australia/New Zealand cruise.  Paid $500 total to move up from a regular veranda cabin to a Celebrity Suite on the Millie (before they added the small balconies to the Celebrity Suites).

Anyhow, I am assuming the Move Up program cancels out the Upgrade Fairy, but still perplexed about the call.

Anybody else have unsolicited calls recently?

3 hours ago, mom says said:

If you are currently booked in a suite, it's probably the shoreside concierge.

No, just a regular veranda cabin.  I was kind of

thinking this might be a spam call.

21 hours ago, cluso said:

I was surprised because reading the boards, it seemed like they were shorthanded on personnel to answer inbound calls.

Different Departments. Makes sense they are trying to sell Shore Excursions and dining packages with ships still not full.

Shorthanded for Inbound calls is because most cruise lines today use contracted workers (working mostly from home) to be their gate keepers to cut down on the workload of the Real staff.

These people have a limited amount of company information to work with.

When you ask questions they Can't answer they Sometimes connect you to a Real Staffer who can.

I had a similar unsolicited call yesterday.  Before the pandemic I had a guy, Sean, called a Celebrity Vacation Planner that I dealt with directly.  I was able to email or call him whenever I needed anything with my direct bookings through him and he could deal with it, without me having to call the main line.  It was really helpful to email him to get things done with no hassle and no wait on hold.  Last year I tried to contact him with no response (no bounce back from emails and when I called, I forget, but it said the extension was invalid or something), so I figured out he likely was not there anymore.  I'm not sure how I ended up connected with him in the first place.

Yesterday I received a call from a new Celebrity Vacation Planner and she said she is my replacement for Sean, as he is no longer with Celebrity.  She seemed nice enough and after our call she sent me an email with her contact information (she had my email address and I did not provide it to her).  I understand it is the same thing, for any direct Celebrity bookings that I make through her (or if I book on board), she can do everything for me instead of me calling the main line.  The problem is, I don't think she can help with any of my existing direct bookings, but I will ask the first time I need anything on any of them.

Marketing..Sales ...call

We Often receive a call from person who says they are our cruise planner  followed by e mail with their office hrs offering to help with dining etc. They really cant do anything special.

We prefer to deal with whoever answers the phone when we call at our convenience.

15 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

I had a similar unsolicited call yesterday.  Before the pandemic I had a guy, Sean, called a Celebrity Vacation Planner that I dealt with directly.  I was able to email or call him whenever I needed anything with my direct bookings through him and he could deal with it, without me having to call the main line.  It was really helpful to email him to get things done with no hassle and no wait on hold.  Last year I tried to contact him with no response (no bounce back from emails and when I called, I forget, but it said the extension was invalid or something), so I figured out he likely was not there anymore.  I'm not sure how I ended up connected with him in the first place.

Yesterday I received a call from a new Celebrity Vacation Planner and she said she is my replacement for Sean, as he is no longer with Celebrity.  She seemed nice enough and after our call she sent me an email with her contact information (she had my email address and I did not provide it to her).  I understand it is the same thing, for any direct Celebrity bookings that I make through her (or if I book on board), she can do everything for me instead of me calling the main line.  The problem is, I don't think she can help with any of my existing direct bookings, but I will ask the first time I need anything on any of them.

THIS ^^^^. I learned by accident that I always want to book cruises through a CVP (instead of on the website), as they are immensely helpful and can be reached via email or you can schedule a call. No hold times, and you actually get personal service. My first CVP, Steven, was amazing but got promoted away from the department. I now have Eva (Yvette) and she has been whip-quick on everything I have asked of her. CVPs can't handle existing bookings made made direct on the website, but from now on, it's straight to them for me.