English Food ...........

groryjm

I just received an email from Celebrity with a link to the Southampton port guide and could not believe the description of English food . I know Xs IT is not great but do they ever check what they publish? 

What food should I try in Southampton?

For a quintessential English dining experience, look for menus with the following items: Bakewell pudding, a dessert with a pastry base that has an almond filling and is topped with jam and icing; spotted dick, another dessert pudding featuring currants and raisins; Cornish pastry, a savory pastry filled with meat and vegetables; Lancashire hotpot, a stew made with lamb and potatoes; fish and chips, with battered, deep-fried fish served alongside fries; and curry, since England is known for its Indian and Bangladeshi food, particularly chicken tikka masala. 

When you’re in England, don’t miss the chance to savor the country’s iconic traditional breakfast of bacon, sausage, fried eggs, baked beans, mushrooms, black pudding, a roasted tomato, and toast.

Afternoon tea is also a popular way to get a taste of England. A traditional English tea usually has scones with jam, butter, clotted cream, and tea. A couple of the best places to get tea during your Southampton cruise port of call are at Grand Café, which offers two different types of afternoon tea, and Elsie’s Tea Room, which has a vintage feel.

It at least it gave me a bit of a laugh. Since when has a pasty been a pastry? I doubt you’ll find spotted dick on any restaurant menu outside a private London club or public school like Eton or Harrow.

I'd be surprised if youl'll find a Bakewell pudding, rather than a tart, outside of Derbyshire and as for Lancashire Hotpot, not exactly local, may be in Liverpool, but this is supposed to be a guide of what to eat in Southampton🤣

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/ports/southampton

Edited by groryjm
  • Haha 3

Hahaha thanks for that, gave me a laugh too. 

If visiting Southampton pop down Greggs and get yourself a sausage roll cos you may struggle finding a Cornish Pastry...or at the very least you'll get some funny looks!

PS to anyone visiting England for the first time, rest assured, food and restaurants have come on a long way since the 1970s! 

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Can this be done before or after we debark? Shouldn’t this be ‘disembark?’

England and America are two great countries separated by a common language!

It's a new rule. No barking allowed. 🚫🐕

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

Can this be done before or after we debark? Shouldn’t this be ‘disembark?’

"Debark" please, and avoid the double prefix.  "Disembark" always makes me feel like I should walk backwards while leaving! 😉

7 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

"Debark" please, and avoid the double prefix.  "Disembark" always makes me feel like I should walk backwards while leaving! 😉

I'll stick with 'disembark'; 'debark' makes me feel as thogh I ought to be at the spa getting some kind of aggressive skin exfoliation treatment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, groryjm said:

I doubt you’ll find spotted dick on any restaurant menu outside a private London club or public school like Eton or Harrow.

Actually, spotted dick was a dessert choice several years ago at the Duke of Wellington in Southampton for a group from our Roll Call that had arranged a private, pre-cruise dinner. No idea whether that was part of the regular menu.  In any event, you can imagine that we Americans, who’d never heard of it, had a good chuckle about the name. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Actually, spotted dick was a dessert choice several years ago at the Duke of Wellington in Southampton for a group from our Roll Call that had arranged a private, pre-cruise dinner. No idea whether that was part of the regular menu.  In any event, you can imagine that we Americans, who’d never heard of it, had a good chuckle about the name. 😊

Sadly not on their menu now. 

dukemenufront-combined.pdf

17 minutes ago, canderson said:

My favorites are still the basic ploughman's lunch (Branston's is essential) and a good carvery on a Sunday.

Love both of these 😋 you got me wanting a nice roast beef dinner with all the trimmings, and obviously followed by an apple crumble & custard 🐷😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osborne66 said:

Image result for photo of spotted dick pudding

1 hour ago, groryjm said:

Havent seen one of those since the 1990s . Do they sell them in the US?

Certainly not in most of our grocery stores (if any).  🙂 Amazon shows them as "unavailable," but does offer this, from the UK:

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQaksJ9NmxcgLRI2xT2-ha3SrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1660228953

38 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Certainly not in most of our grocery stores (if any).  🙂 Amazon shows them as "unavailable," but does offer this, from the UK:

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQaksJ9NmxcgLRI2xT2-ha3SrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1660228953

My source in the US is located in Pennsylvania. I order from them online.

2 hours ago, groryjm said:

Havent seen one of those since the 1990s . Do they sell them in the US?

We have a specialty store around here that often has it.  Of course, it's been a little trickier over the last couple of years.

18 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

My favorite English food has to be Sunday Roast. Here's a photo from June 19th Sunday Roast ( Pork in the foreground, beef in the background) at Black Dog Pub in London. This was a post cruise stay after 31 days on the Carnival Pride. Yum Yum!

https://theblackdogvauxhall.com/

PXL_20220619_172012326_2.jpg

A Sunday roast in a dish? It should be on a plate with the added challenge of not spilling any gravy!

My favorite place to eat in Southampton (pre Covid) was The Standing Order.

It seems to have survived the pandemic and we will be in Southampton pre-cruise on September 18th. so I plan to try it unless someone with Recent Experience can tell me it has changed?