Mask or no mask?

remydiva

I'm not asking for opinions on whether masks are helpful or not.

I only want to know what fellow RECENT cruisers have experienced on board.

1. Do all staff and wait staff wear masks ALL, some or none of  the time?

2. Do passengers HAVE to wear masks IN public places like the theatres or just when passing through public places?

I ask because a friend on another cruise line who cruised in May, found that masks were worn at the start of the cruise but things got laxer as the cruise went on.

I will do what I am comfortable with regardless of replies; I was just curious what others had witnessed.

TIA

We were on the Emerald Princess 7/20-8/1. Staff were all masked in places like bars, restaurants, dining rooms, front desk etc, but not for performances or interactions at a distance. For example, the  entertainment staff didn't usually have masks on.

At embarkation we were handed a letter saying that due to cases on recent sailings, masks were required unless actively eating or drinking or in your own stateroom. Having said that, there was NO enforcement. As you can imagine, no one is wearing masks in the dining rooms or bars and lounges because everyone is actively eating and drinking. People were pretty good about wearing them on elevators and tenders. In shows and on buses it was much more sporadic and declined as the cruise progressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last cruise all staff masked but some had them under there noses at times. I would say 60% masked while walking through public spaces. More masked bin elevators. We masked at most times but unmasked when seated for a meal, seated at a bar and while seated at a slot machine. We may never again go into a public restroom without a mask ever again

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Was recommended for pass not mandated.     
95% didn’t wear a mask anywhere last week on discovery.  
no letters.  
packed elevators   No masks.     
packed theaters. No masks.   
back since Sunday. No covid. 
Tons of people serving themself at buffet 

performers no masks.  
speakers in the theater.  No masks. 
piazza.     No masks worn by entertainers. 
my pic with Capt Stringer. No mask 

pic with CD Marcus no mask.    

no covid today.  

D3145531-5D93-47C0-A7B5-5CC896577CB8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Majestic for a 14-day cruise to Alaska in June.  Although masks were mandatory in places (signs posted and per announcements by staff), cruisers choose to do what they wanted and we didn't see any enforcement of the rule.  During our cruise, buffet food was served by the staff.  However, we did see a couple of people grabbing at food when no one was around.  Just stating the facts --- no judgement. 

We will be on the Discovery on Sunday so we will see what takes place then.  The following week we will be on Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas and looking forward to seeing how things are operating on their line.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We were on the Majestic for a 14-day cruise to Alaska in June.  Although masks were mandatory in places (signs posted and per announcements by staff), cruisers choose to do what they wanted and we didn't see any enforcement of the rule.  During our cruise, buffet food was served by the staff.  However, we did see a couple of people grabbing at food when no one was around.  Just stating the facts --- no judgement. 

We will be on the Discovery on Sunday so we will see what takes place then.  The following week we will be on Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas and looking forward to seeing how things are operating on their line.

Read post 7.  That will tell you what happens on discovery.   

17 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Read post 7.  That will tell you what happens on discovery.   

Possibly, but each cruise is different and ours might be different from yours --- or it might not.  I like to see things for myself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Possibly, but each cruise is different and ours might be different from yours --- or it might not.  I like to see things for myself.

Just stating the facts of a cruise 5 days ago.   No judgment expected.  Lol 

• Like 1

I really feel for the crew on these ships. Imagine having to wear a mask, that is probably not even an N95 that may protect you a little, and have to work 10 to 12 hours a day 7 days a week under those conditions. At least, as a passenger, I can choose not to wear a mask if I wish. I actually wonder how the cruise lines get anyone to work for them. Most are third country nationals who have little to no other choice if their families want to eat. 😒

• Like 2

OP asked for recent experiences, here’s ours, currently on Ruby.

Staff are masked, most wearing the mask nominally correctly, a few mustache diapers, the definite minority.

Pax are masked about 40% a variety of surgical, cloth and N95 alternatives.  The vast majority of folks slip one on in elevators.  We wear ours when moving around the ship.

We’ve avoided crowded venues though the boarding hall at San Francisco was probably the largest crowd we’ve been a part of in two years.

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

OP asked for recent experiences, here’s ours, currently on Ruby.

Staff are masked, most wearing the mask nominally correctly, a few mustache diapers, the definite minority.

Pax are masked about 40% a variety of surgical, cloth and N95 alternatives.  The vast majority of folks slip one on in elevators.  We wear ours when moving around the ship.

We’ve avoided crowded venues though the boarding hall at San Francisco was probably the largest crowd we’ve been a part of in two years.

2 couples of friends disembarked Ruby on Monday.

So far one of each of the couples tested Pos.  Tuesday & Wed.

The other 2 are still Neg.

The 2 that are so far are Neg., were stricter maskers than their other halves.

Said they wore masks in elevators, etc.

Were getting on Ruby end of next week.

We packed plenty of N95's for duration of cruise.  I like a new one each day.

And we avoid crowded venues and eat mostly on deck or in our cabin.

Its not for everyone..... but its worked for us.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

I really feel for the crew on these ships. Imagine having to wear a mask, that is probably not even an N95 that may protect you a little, and have to work 10 to 12 hours a day 7 days a week under those conditions. At least, as a passenger, I can choose not to wear a mask if I wish. I actually wonder how the cruise lines get anyone to work for them. Most are third country nationals who have little to no other choice if their families want to eat. 😒

Pre-Covid -  I was employed where I was required to wear a mask and a full bunny suit and oftentimes an scba and all kinds of protective gear in multiple layers.  I worked 12 hour days and a lot of required overtime.  It was hot and uncomfortable but it was required and I did it because I wanted to keep my job.  You are a passenger and you have the choice.  They are employees and their employer mandates something else, just like employers all over the world.  If they are sick and in bed they are of no value to Princess and the folks that are spreading it get to enjoy the rest of their vacation and then go home and complain that the ships are understaffed.  Wearing masks and protective equipment is not abnormal and never has been.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peagreenid said:

Pre-Covid -  I was employed where I was required to wear a mask and a full bunny suit and oftentimes an scba and all kinds of protective gear in multiple layers.  I worked 12 hour days and a lot of required overtime.  It was hot and uncomfortable but it was required and I did it because I wanted to keep my job.  You are a passenger and you have the choice.  They are employees and their employer mandates something else, just like employers all over the world.  If they are sick and in bed they are of no value to Princess and the folks that are spreading it get to enjoy the rest of their vacation and then go home and complain that the ships are understaffed.  Wearing masks and protective equipment is not abnormal and never has been.  

Well stated.  Thanks

Just off Grand Princess Alaska Northbound, August 3 thru 7. Crew was almost always wearing masks. Occasionally someone might have a mask below the nose, but not often. 

Passengers compliance walking around the indoor hallways was pretty high, say 70% maybe. But once people were seated in a venue, more people took masks off. Particularly if the venue wasn't too crowded. 

I didn't notice any difference in compliance late in the week. 

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Thanks 1

We are cruising Sunday on the Discovery RT Seattle. I think I will wear a mask in port. Maybe in the Main theater and while tendering into Skagway. Probably the only times. We got our PCR tests yesterday and we are both Negative! I want to keep it that way 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this post we sail in 53 day to Hawaii. Will bring plenty of masks but do plan to personally wear on elevators and getting on and off the ship in large crowds but that's a personal choice due to health issues. Will keep following your thread for up to date comments on first hand knowledge.

1 hour ago, LovetheSea said:

We are cruising Sunday on the Discovery RT Seattle. I think I will wear a mask in port. Maybe in the Main theater and while tendering into Skagway. Probably the only times. We got our PCR tests yesterday and we are both Negative! I want to keep it that way 🙂

No masks worn at all.  Home 6 days. No covid.    

enjoy your cruise. Discovery is an amazing ship. And the crew is awesome.  
Capt  stringer and cd Marcus are amazing.   Make sure to utilize the naturalist talks.  And be sure to turn your tv on while going down the Arm Mike gives great commentary.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1