No more COVID-19 testing for most cruises??

pauly

Out of an abundance of caution, I will be following the latest CDC guidance.  Wholesale testing of people who are not sick and quarantining people who are not sick but test positive has become more covid theater - just like wiping down every reachable surface and servers wearing gloves even if they touch multiple surfaces and wear the same gloves an entire shift.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You are right, those changing a were vaccines not testing. 

My bad 

Testing just got dropped by Carnival...just received this in an e-mail I just got from them.....Royal I am sure will follow:

• Vaccinated guests must continue to provide evidence of their vaccination status prior to embarkation. Pre-cruise testing is no longer required, except for cruises to Canada, Bermuda, Greece and Australia (per local guidelines), and on voyages 16 nights or longer.
  • Unvaccinated guests are welcome to sail and are no longer required to apply for a vaccine exemption, except for cruises in Australia or on voyages 16 nights and longer.
  • Unvaccinated guests or those who do not provide proof of vaccination must present the results of a negative PCR or antigen test taken within three days of embarkation. 
Edited by bajathree

It sends you to a link with a handy dandy drop down box to select your port of departure. For me I still have to test out of Seattle because the Canadian Gov't still requires it. The letter was a great way to take the guessing out of all the changes. 

18 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Testing just got dropped by Carnival...just received this in an e-mail I just got from them.....Royal I am sure will follow:

• Vaccinated guests must continue to provide evidence of their vaccination status prior to embarkation. Pre-cruise testing is no longer required, except for cruises to Canada, Bermuda, Greece and Australia (per local guidelines), and on voyages 16 nights or longer.
  • Unvaccinated guests are welcome to sail and are no longer required to apply for a vaccine exemption, except for cruises in Australia or on voyages 16 nights and longer.
  • Unvaccinated guests or those who do not provide proof of vaccination must present the results of a negative PCR or antigen test taken within three days of embarkation. 

Princess also.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/princess-cruises-removes-vaccine-requirement-for-most-voyages-elminates-pre-cruise-testing-for-vaccinated-guests-301605197.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

I've been precluded from discussing "testing", last time I got in trouble.

But, we like the testing, keeps at least some people off "our" ships. A recent cruise we took had lots of Covid friendly folks present on day 4 and 5, nothing is perfect. Cruise and enjoy.

You can still test if you want. 🙂

• Like 2

We purchased the Covid proctored tests that are recommended on Royals web site. They were $99 for 3 tests. We leave next month out of Florida for our cruise.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to get a refund?   Yes, I believe the mfg site states NO refunds. I just clicked on the Link that Royal has provided. I didn’t go on my own searching for these tests.

Since Royal changed the rules, shouldn’t cruise passengers be given a refund?  I believe so.

Now, do I actually believe Royal will refund us, no. But it doesn’t hurt to ask here on the board. Maybe someone will be able to guide me ..

🛳🛳

Bobbi

P.S. We are both vaccinated & Booster shot. 

Edited by Markmom18

18 hours ago, pauly said:
YOUR HEALTHY SAILING UPDATE

Updated Protocols for Bermuda 2022 Sailings 

While requirements for sailing have changed for some destinations, most of Bermuda’s local regulations and requirements are still in place.

This means your vaccination and pre-cruise testing requirements remain unchanged.

The good news is we've removed boarding day testing, and any debark testing for sailings that end in the U.S.

Due to the fluidity of this situation, our protocols are subject to change, and we are committed to keeping you informed if they do.

Check out our Healthy Sail Center for our full sailing protocols

VIEW HEALTHY SAIL CENTER

Ok, I understand the testing requirements for entry into Bermuda, but what does this vague email actually  say? I have read it three times. The "Healthy Sail Center" still indicates that passengers on cruises 6 nights or more still need to be tested....?

It's not vague -- you're getting confused between BOARDING DAY testing and PRE-CRUISE TESTING.

The good news is we've removed boarding day testing, and any debark testing for sailings that end in the U.S.

Boarding-day testing was done at the terminal, by Royal, for all unvaccinated people.  It added an hour or two to the checking-in process.  

Same with debark testing -- unvaccinated cruisers had to get tested on board the day before debarkation.  

That's the testing that has been eliminated -- pre-cruise testing remains for cruises of six nights or more. 

Edited by brillohead

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

It's not vague -- you're getting confused between BOARDING DAY testing and PRE-CRUISE TESTING.

Boarding-day testing was done at the terminal, by Royal, for all unvaccinated people.  It added an hour or two to the checking-in process.  

Same with debark testing -- unvaccinated cruisers had to get tested on board the day before debarkation.  

That's the testing that has been eliminated -- pre-cruise testing remains for cruises of six nights or more. 

THANK YOU. After two pages of scrolling, I found the answer. Thank you !!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pauly said:

THANK YOU. After two pages of scrolling, I found the answer. Thank you !!

You're very welcome!

I missed it the first time, because they just called it "boarding day testing" which makes it sound like "the testing that everyone has to do to board" instead of "testing that is done on the day of boarding by a specific subset of the cruising population".  

When I read it the second time, it clicked in my brain.  I'm glad I was able to share my brain-click with you.

2 minutes ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

I have this feeling that there will be many people showing up for Royal Caribbean cruises without a pre-cruise test because of this poorly worded announcement.  Could make check-in a mess.  

How exactly is this unclear?  Reading comprehension seems to be an issue for some, but that's not Royals' responsibility.

While requirements for sailing have changed for some destinations, most of Bermuda’s local regulations and requirements are still in place.

This means your vaccination and pre-cruise testing requirements remain unchanged.

5 minutes ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

I have this feeling that there will be many people showing up for Royal Caribbean cruises without a pre-cruise test because of this poorly worded announcement.  Could make check-in a mess.  

Exactly.

2 minutes ago, BND said:

How exactly is this unclear?  Reading comprehension seems to be an issue for some, but that's not Royals' responsibility.

This sentence: The good news is we've removed boarding day testing

If you don't read the whole entire thing, seeing this sentence could make one think that they don't need a test to board.   

9 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Exactly.

This sentence: The good news is we've removed boarding day testing

If you don't read the whole entire thing, seeing this sentence could make one think that they don't need a test to board.   

You mean where it says "BOARDING DAY TESTING"?  How is that not clear?  Once again, reading comprehension is sorely lacking if someone thinks that means ALL TESTING.

It's also all the individual's fault if they only read that and misread it .

Edited by BND

17 minutes ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

Exactly! 

I found the requirements. Thank you everyone. Happy Cruising!

REQUIRED TESTING FOR GUESTS SAILING FROM U.S. HOME PORTS

For All Sailings from U.S. Home Ports with No Stops in Bermuda or Canada

If your cruise visits Bermuda or Canada, test protocols for your cruise are in the next section. 

Guests 2 to 11 years of age who are not fully vaccinated must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test taken within the 3 days before boarding day, regardless of the duration of their cruise. These guests will no longer be required to take a second test at the terminal.  

Fully vaccinated guests must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test taken within the 3 days before boarding day on sailings that are 6 nights or longer only. Testing is not required for fully vaccinated guests on shorter itineraries.

Required testing for all guests, regardless of vaccination status, must be completed using a PCR or antigen test that is supervised by a healthcare professional or a home test kit that is conducted under live video supervision.

Tests must be arranged on your own and are at your own expense. 

REQUIRED TESTING FOR GUESTS SAILING FROM U.S. HOMEPORTS WITH STOPS IN BERMUDA OR CANADA

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing

Before arriving on boarding day, you'll need to take a COVID-19 test on your own, at your own expense.

• Vaccinated guests must show a negative test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. NOTE: Kids age 11 and younger who have been vaccinated may follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.  
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before boarding day.
  • Unvaccinated kids' pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids' test at the terminal.

Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test.

For guests on a cruise that visits Bermuda, additional travel and testing requirements may apply to your sailing. Learn more.

Guests Under the Age of 2

Guests under the age of 2 have no testing requirements.

Longer Sailings

Sailings longer than 10 nights may have additional onboard testing requirements

14 minutes ago, BND said:

You mean where it says "BOARDING DAY TESTING"?  How is that not clear?  Once again, reading comprehension is sorely lacking if someone thinks that means ALL TESTING.

It's also all the individual's fault if they only read that and misread it .

Not everyone necessarily realized that the previous rules meant some people needed to test at the port.  If you didn't have kids or weren't unvaccinated yourself, you wouldn't realize that "boarding day testing" is different from "testing to board".

Some people haven't cruised in the last two years, so they haven't paid attention to the changes in the rules since the restart.

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

You're very welcome!

I missed it the first time, because they just called it "boarding day testing" which makes it sound like "the testing that everyone has to do to board" instead of "testing that is done on the day of boarding by a specific subset of the cruising population".  

When I read it the second time, it clicked in my brain.  I'm glad I was able to share my brain-click with you.

Ugh - oh .. ….  Sorry about my reimbursement for the proctored tests question yesterday.   I read your comments and “I got it” too!

I “assumed” and you know what that does … 😚😁

🛳🛳

Bobbi

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

Not everyone necessarily realized that the previous rules meant some people needed to test at the port.  If you didn't have kids or weren't unvaccinated yourself, you wouldn't realize that "boarding day testing" is different from "testing to board".

Some people haven't cruised in the last two years, so they haven't paid attention to the changes in the rules since the restart.

But, it clearly says testing is required for Bermuda.  Not RCI's fault if people don't read the entire notice.  It's very, very clear and easy to understand whether you have cruised or not over the last two years.  There are other rules and requirements that people seem to understand so why not these?  I'm guessing you thought it meant something it didn't.  You're just  reading something that isn't there.  

Edited by BND
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BND said:

But, it clearly says testing is required for Bermuda.  Not RCI's fault if people don't read the entire notice.  It's very, very clear and easy to understand whether you have cruised or not over the last two years.  There are other rules and requirements that people seem to understand so why not these?  I'm guessing you thought it meant something it didn't.  You're just  reading something that isn't there.  

Actually, I was the one who explained it to the OP so that they understood it, so evidently YOU are the one with the reading comprehension problem here.... but whatever. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1