8/12/22 PRINCESS CRUISES REMOVES VACCINE REQUIREMENT FOR MOST VOYAGES, ELMINATES PRE-CRUISE TESTING FOR VACCINATED GUESTS

LACruiser88

Covid testing for 16+ day cruises is also inconsistent on the website. The update for august 15 frequently asked questions section is not the same as august 16 for cruises out of Europe. I leave from Copenhagen on September 11 on a 16 day cruise. I was hoping not to have the hassle of testing.

16 minutes ago, teacherplus said:

Covid testing for 16+ day cruises is also inconsistent on the website. The update for august 15 frequently asked questions section is not the same as august 16 for cruises out of Europe. I leave from Copenhagen on September 11 on a 16 day cruise. I was hoping not to have the hassle of testing.

Sorry, but the new protocols for Sep 6 are pretty clear about requiring a test for 16+ night cruises (same as if sold as 16 days).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, teacherplus said:

This is what I was referring to this update says no testing from Europe and when you look down on enhanced guidelines nothing is said  about a certain number of days

I see what you mean.  I think it was there, but I do not see any newer effective date.  They have changed the links at the top of home page and the page now linked to used to be a secondary link.  I notice they still mention the 16-night/day thing in the FAQ's for Europe.  No wonder folks have questions!

54 minutes ago, teacherplus said:

This is what I was referring to this update says no testing from Europe and when you look down on enhanced guidelines nothing is said  about a certain number of days

Yes, that’s what I said from the day they “simplified” the rules.  I see it in the general information and FAQ.  But, why not list it right here?  It would be so easy.

Enhanced Guidelines.. 

• Like 1

The info on the website really is in need of improvement both for presentation as well as to ensure the content is all correctly aligned with country requirements.

Further to what Steelers35 mentioned about the EU Healthy Gateways protocol for cruise ships, it appears that, in line with the info from the Greek gov’t that I previously posted on this thread, these guidelines do not call for testing of passengers going into Greece.  

If others are interested, you can find the EU protocols online: https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EUHG_Operational_guidelines_CoV_April2022.pdf?ver=2022-04-06-152525-527#page26. Section 8.1 talks about “Screening at Embarkation” and, as far as I can see, does not require testing for anyone who does not have COVID symptoms.  It’s a very long document so I have to admit I haven’t read all of it, but the sections I’ve looked at say nothing about needing to test to enter Greece.

The mystery of why Princess is requiring testing for those stopping in Greece continues…

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Celebrity is doing it too!

Sources found.  Celebrity Health protocols page:  https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

They begin new protocols one day before Princess on Sep 5.  Nothing special about Greece.  Just Canada (of course).   That is on the page I referenced.  So they can be confusing too, because a guest taking the main page at face value would think no issues. 

But, if you click and dive into details using the Country Travel Requirements link, you come to another page with it all broken down by region.  In this case, picking Europe, I see they do not have any departures or endings in Greece.  X only lists Ravenna, Civitavecchia and Barcelona in the Med region.

Here is the details page:  https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/italy-travel-requirements/updated

So, I also see that X just updated this info today.

And I do agree that they now state an in-person test is required if visiting Greece ports.

HOWEVER, unlike Princess, they indicate that a telehealth test is acceptable. 

Edited by Steelers36

12 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Source please.  Celebrity Health protocols page:  https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

I read it on a Celebrity thread but didn't go check out the source material. Here's a link to the thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2875566-celebrity-protocols-are-changing-again-starting-september-5/

As dog noted above, this is being discussed in Ports of Call forum, so I'm headed over there to see what people are finding.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

I read it on a Celebrity thread but didn't go check out the source material. Here's a link to the thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2875566-celebrity-protocols-are-changing-again-starting-september-5/

As dog noted above, this is being discussed in Ports of Call forum, so I'm headed over there to see what people are finding.

Yes, I should have fixed my first sentence as I found info on X that seems just new today.  As for NCL, well when I looked there, they only have a test if originating in Greece from what I see on their website.  Viking seems to hide their testing requirements unless you have a booking with them. 

32 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

And I do agree that they now state an in-person test is required if visiting Greece ports.

HOWEVER, unlike Princess, they indicate that a telehealth test is acceptable. 

I should have stated "supervised" - not "in person".

Looks like Princess is no longer a complete outlier.  Here is RCCL now (but note an online proctored test is okay): 

For All Sailings Departing on or after September 5, 2022 from Italy that visit Greece 

Guests 12 years of age and older must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen test taken within 48 hours before boarding day, or PCR test taken within 72 hours before boarding day, regardless of the duration of their cruise.

Guests younger than 12 do not have any testing requirements.

Required testing for all guests, regardless of vaccination status, must be completed by a healthcare professional such as your doctor or pharmacist. Telehealth tests are also accepted, but must be completed with a supervised video visit.

Tests must be arranged on your own and are at your own expense. 

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

It’s Steelers36 (Jerome Bettis) not Steelers35 (John Henry Johnson) though that wouldn’t be a bad reference either!

Oops….so sorry Steelers36!  I know that’s your handle but ended up with a typo nonetheless.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

Oops….so sorry Steelers36!  I know that’s your handle but ended up with a typo nonetheless.

NP at all.  I like at lot pf other numbers, but I am partial to The Bus for certain.  What a way to go out from a career!

6 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

I googled Covid protocols Greece Viking cruises.

Sorry I cannot paste the paragraph on here, don’t know why.

However, for those of us with a port visit to Greece—- if we are going on a Princess ship, then we could be denied boarding if we fail to follow what Princess has posted on their website.

There is a separate update for Greece on website now.

Requirements are changing all the time.

I see no need to pick apart, dissect, over analyze the requirements. 

I intend to follow requirements my cruiseline lists at the time of my cruise.

My expat friends in Italy tell me to get my Covid test in a pharmacy - and to prebook it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dog said:

No, I will contact her & try to get some pharmacy locations, as well in Rome.

My daughter lived in Athens for a year and still has friends there so I have asked her to see what she can find out.  She also said that pharmacies would be the place to go.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dog said:

I googled Covid protocols Greece Viking cruises.

Sorry I cannot paste the paragraph on here, don’t know why.

Perhaps this is what you had found - a PDF?  A portion is extracted and pasted below.  It is interesting that Viking specifically mentions that Greece is not publishing the cruise ship requirements on their website.  Perhaps this is why it has been confusing as folks looking have not been finding published requirements on Greece's website.

1.    Proof of negative COVID-19 test (laboratory-certified)
NOTE: The port authority in Greece requires pre-embarkation test results for travelers boarding a cruise ship, in accordance with EU cruise ship travel guidelines. The country of Greece does not list these requirements on their official travel site (listed below), as the pre-embarkation test requirement is separate from any requirements for entry to the country of Greece. Without proof of a laboratory-certified negative COVID-19 test, you may be unable to embark the ship and begin your journey.
-    PCR test taken within 72 hours before embarkation, or
-    Antigen test taken within 48 hours before embarkation.
-    Note: If you are on a pre-extension, you will be provided with the necessary tests to meet Greece’s testing requirement for cruise travelers before you board the ship.