Can I bring a curling iron or my own hair dryer on an MSC cruise?

Georgia_Peaches

Just got an e-mail from MSC as we are 15 days until embarkation.  The e-mail says that only the following electronic items will be permitted:

• electric shaver
  • computer
  • hair dryer (they provide in cabin)
  • charger

This prompted me to go to their website and look more closely at prohibited items.  They include (list not complete):

• clothes iron
  • coffee maker
  • hair iron
  • kettles
  • hot plates
  • candles

I've always brought a curling iron and my own hair dryer.  Are these items going to be confiscated if I bring them?  And if so, I could probably get by with the provided hair dryer but I hate the kind that you have to hold the button down while operating...not sure if that's the kind on MSC...but no curling iron?  Ladies, please chime in on suggestions for curling my hair...guess I could resort to the old fashioned pink sponge hair rollers...surely curling irons won't be confiscated.  Say it isn't so!

The hair dryer is the hold the button type. Personally, I've never liked using those either. I have always taken my hair straighteners on our cruises without issue or then being confiscated. Assuming these are very similar to a curling iron but with the opposite outcome, I'd say you should be fine 🙂 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tierun said:

My DW’s flat irons didn’t work onboard Seashore. The voltage wasn’t good enough for the heating element.

You can adjust the voltage on some hair irons. It’s a little “screw like” piece usually near the cord that you just turn to the appropriate voltage. 

31 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Huh. Good to know. Thank you. 

You may have a dual voltage iron. Just look at the iron and see if you see the option to change it. A lot of people don’t even know they have this option. Some of the newer irons automatically adjust. 

Retired hairstylist here, so it’s kind of my thing lol

• Like 3

We are going on our first MSC cruise on 1 SEP and were discussing this exact topic a few minutes ago.  Thanks for the info.  Going to chance taking a hair flat iron for the wife's hair.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, B21Raider said:

We are going on our first MSC cruise on 1 SEP and were discussing this exact topic a few minutes ago.  Thanks for the info.  Going to chance taking a hair flat iron for the wife's hair.  Fingers crossed!

Also our first MSC cruise.  Leaving soon and like you, I'm going to chance it with my own hair instruments.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, silkismooth said:

Ladies, please I’m gonna need your help. Going on a cruise 2/17-2/24 and I was wondering if I can bring my tiny small flat iron (hair straightener), cause I have short hair. Thank you for your help 😉

Yes, I have taken mine on 50 cruises across the lines, 10 of which were MSC. Never once have I had a problem with my hair straightener.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Yes, I have taken mine on 50 cruises across the lines, 10 of which were MSC. Never once have I had a problem with my hair straightener.

Thank you so much! I feel more relieved, this will be my first cruise with MSC, so it took me by surprise when I read that MSC Divina doesn’t allowed hair dryer( provided on your cabin ) and hair straightener!!! 

2 hours ago, silkismooth said:

Thank you so much! I feel more relieved, this will be my first cruise with MSC, so it took me by surprise when I read that MSC Divina doesn’t allowed hair dryer( provided on your cabin ) and hair straightener!!! 

Even though I do take my hair straightener, I do not take my hair dryer. It is 1800 watts and every time I would turn it on, it blew the circuit to the cabin and I would be sitting there until maintenance came to flip the breaker.  Their ships are not set up to handle that much wattage in a blow dryer. I just use the one in the drawer now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

35 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Even though I do take my hair straightener, I do not take my hair dryer. It is 1800 watts and every time I would turn it on, it blew the circuit to the cabin and I would be sitting there until maintenance came to flip the breaker.  Their ships are not set up to handle that much wattage in a blow dryer. I just use the one in the drawer now.

36 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I understand, I’m just gonna bring my tiny hair straightener and I’ll use their blow dryer. Once again, thank you so much 😊 

17 hours ago, silkismooth said:

Ladies, please I’m gonna need your help. Going on a cruise 2/17-2/24 and I was wondering if I can bring my tiny small flat iron (hair straightener), cause I have short hair. Thank you for your help 😉

We will be on that cruise also.   Along with our daughter and son in law.  His 1st cruise.  Looking forward to it.            We cruised in Nov,  different line, but they took my travel steamer, anyone know if MSC will allow?

18 hours ago, silkismooth said:

Yes. I had no problem at all with my hair appliances. 

4 hours ago, silkismooth said:

I understand, I’m just gonna bring my tiny hair straightener and I’ll use their blow dryer. Once again, thank you so much 😊 

Their hair dryer sucks. It’s the kind that you have to hold the button in while in use. Some hair dryers blow a fuse bc they are not adapted for the cruise outlets. My hair dresser told me about a button on the underside of many hair dryers that allows you to convert the watts to become compatible with the ship’s outlets. I was skeptical but when I looked at my dryer, low and behold, there it was!  I had no problems with my dryer after I hit the little button. 

6 hours ago, DQGal said:

We will be on that cruise also.   Along with our daughter and son in law.  His 1st cruise.  Looking forward to it.            We cruised in Nov,  different line, but they took my travel steamer, anyone know if MSC will allow?

No steamer allowed on MSC or Celebrity

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I wanted to ask did you take your hairdryer and hotbrush on the MSC cruise, and did you put them in your checked in luggage or your carry on luggae ? I am going on the Virtuosa in May 23 from Southampton, and wanted to know if you can take your hotbrush and hairdryer with you. ?

1 hour ago, Chimum64 said:

I wanted to ask did you take your hairdryer and hotbrush on the MSC cruise, and did you put them in your checked in luggage or your carry on luggae ? I am going on the Virtuosa in May 23 from Southampton, and wanted to know if you can take your hotbrush and hairdryer with you. ?

Yes you can take both no problem, doesn't matter if it's in carry on or checked luggage. We're also on again in May and I'll have my hot brush and straighteners with me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chimum64 said:

Thank you for your reply. Do you normally put your hot brush & straighteners in your checking in luggage ?

I think I've done both, they are usually the last thing I pack so it depends where I have room left😄

• Like 1