another arrivecan question

davidwar

I put in my information (passport, vaccine info, etc.) into the app and got a receipt barcode.  I added my wife's info later as an additional traveler.  Is my receipt good for her also or does she need her own individual receipt?

1 hour ago, davidwar said:

No it only says me.  Do I have to start all over?

I am guessing so, because you didn't include your wife at the start. I did this a month or so ago, and put my wife on the record immediately. The receipt I got had two QR codes, and clearly stated it was covering both my wife and I. If when you added your wife, it didn't send you any receipt or QR code for her, I would be concerned.

You could sign into your account and see if they is a way to print an updated (including your wife) receipt.

3 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Since I don't have a smartphone, can I use the HAL computer to complete my ArriveCan and can I just pay for 1 day of wifi???

HAL doesn't do WiFi plans by the day, last I heard. They will probably require you to show your ArriveCan receipt when you board. You don't need a smart phone, you can do it before you depart on your home computer and print it...the rule says to complete it within a few days of boarding the ship that takes you to a Canadian port. We just did a Copenhagen to Boston cruise with two Canadian ports. I set up our ArriveCan file a few days before we flew to Copenhagen, then did our final  ArriveCan info  16 days before we actually touched Canadian soil, 2 days before we boarded our ship.

14 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Since I don't have a smartphone, can I use the HAL computer to complete my ArriveCan and can I just pay for 1 day of wifi???

Yes - if HAL let you onboard, they're breaking the rules! If you're flying to Vancouver less than 3 days before embarkation, just do it at home and print it. If you're having a long local pre-cruise stay, then there are tons of public WiFi options - if you literally don't have a single device that can access the internet with you and need a computer, check with your hotel.

And do double-check that your cruise actually needs ArriveCAN - if you are e.g. taking a one-way northbound with no Canadian ports you don't need to complete it.

5 hours ago, martincath said:

Yes - if HAL let you onboard, they're breaking the rules! If you're flying to Vancouver less than 3 days before embarkation, just do it at home and print it. If you're having a long local pre-cruise stay, then there are tons of public WiFi options - if you literally don't have a single device that can access the internet with you and need a computer, check with your hotel.

And do double-check that your cruise actually needs ArriveCAN - if you are e.g. taking a one-way northbound with no Canadian ports you don't need to complete it.

Huh? If you are doing a one way, how can it not touch a Canadian port? One ways have to either start or end in Vancouver. At least for Alaska  or Canada to/from Hawaii.  And New England roundtrips or one ways have to touch Canada. 

22 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Huh? If you are doing a one way, how can it not touch a Canadian port? One ways have to either start or end in Vancouver. At least for Alaska  or Canada to/from Hawaii.  And New England roundtrips or one ways have to touch Canada. 

Cruises which leave Canada without returning are exempt from ArriveCAN - I suppose I could have been clearer by specifying no Canadian ports of call after leaving Vancouver. Given we're on the Alaska board and poster I replied to referenced HAL, I assumed that specifying a one-way northbound would be sufficient to make it clear the ship would leave Vancouver on this end...

21 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I should have explained my situation a little better.  I'll need to complete the ArriveCan 3 days before getting off the ship then flying back to Canada. So, I'll need to use a HAL computer.  I don't want to buy a wifi package as I 'disconnect' from everything and everyone back home when I'm away on vacation.  So, I just need wifi for a little bit to complete this stupid requirement.

7 hours ago, martincath said:

Cruises which leave Canada without returning are exempt from ArriveCAN - I suppose I could have been clearer by specifying no Canadian ports of call after leaving Vancouver. Given we're on the Alaska board and poster I replied to referenced HAL, I assumed that specifying a one-way northbound would be sufficient to make it clear the ship would leave Vancouver on this end...

But you would need ArriveCan to get to the ship right? Unless you were a Canadian?

10 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I should have explained my situation a little better.  I'll need to complete the ArriveCan 3 days before getting off the ship then flying back to Canada. So, I'll need to use a HAL computer.  I don't want to buy a wifi package as I 'disconnect' from everything and everyone back home when I'm away on vacation.  So, I just need wifi for a little bit to complete this stupid requirement.

More context! So it sounds like you are taking a one-way cruise, ending outside of Canada. Assuming that you have all of your required Traveler info already prepared, you'll need just long enough to add the specific Trip info about your flight home. I would suggest that you ensure before leaving home that you have practised used the web-based version to ensure you are familiar with it - and then you shouild be able to use a HAL onboard computer to 'pay by the minute' which should be very cheap as a Trip entry where you pull existing Traveler(s) from your profile takes less than two minutes.

Remember also that you do not have to complete it 3 full days before flying home - that just sets the beginning of the timeframe (no more than 72hrs before your flight is supposed to arrive) - and that if you do possess a device which could access the internet but you are just choosing not to use it, you could make use of free WiFi in any Ports of Call within that timeframe, your Disembarkation port, or even the airport before you check-in to fly home.

Worst case: there's a problem with HALs computers and you do not possess any device you can use and you cannot get to an internet cafe during the 72 hr period and you don't make any friends onboard who will lend you their laptop for a few minutes - you can also have someone else complete ArriveCAN for you back home. As long as they know your info, they can input the trip and generate your QR code (which ideally they would then email to you, but again if you have no device that can accept/display that email - NB: even an Amazon Kindle can be directly emailed a PDF, jpeg etc. and display it onscreen! - CBSA will be able to see it when your passport is scanned).

Note also that depending where you live relative to the airport you re-enter Canada at, if you are traveling without a device that you can check email on you also have the problem of delayed reporting if a random Covid test is required - those pop within as little as 15mins, and the default screening locations are labs near the airport. There are other locations - I believe some Shoppers Drugmart stores can be used so that's a decent bet across Ontario - but if you only check email after you get home it might cause you a lot of extra mileage compared to having e.g. found out while waiting for bags at YYZ and being able to hit up a lab near there before heading home to Farawayfromlabsville... of course if you're in a city or good-sized town with a few pharmacies, odds are good you'll be able to test after getting home.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

But you would need ArriveCan to get to the ship right? Unless you were a Canadian?

Being Canadian is irrelevant - ArriveCAN is forced upon us in every circumstance it's forced upon other nationalities. But yes, anyone who had to fly or drive or whatever across the Canadian border in the first place in order to be able to board a cruise would have needed to complete ArriveCAN at that border-crossing. Context again was for Sue - identified as an Ontario resident - so my answers were assuming that she was coming from home... since proven to be incorrect of course, my bad!

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ashland said:

We're an extended family...DH and myself and DS and his family. Can we all use the same ArriveCan  and QR Code? I have everyone's complete info.

Unless DS lives at your home, no single ArriveCAN any more - the multiple traveler rules were clarified, at some point in the past, to allow only spouse, dependents, and living-in-the-same-house-as-you adults. The horses mouth version is here, scroll down until you find the multiple traveler section but for your convenience I'll also Copy & Paste just the relevant bits below:

Families

As the primary traveller, you may provide travel information for yourself and for:

• your spouse or common law partner
  • your children (or children for whom you have legal guardianship), aged 18 years or younger
  • any other adult in your residence with the same travel destination in Canada

You can provide information for up to 8 travellers, including yourself, in a single submission. Use this when:

• you'll all stay together at the same address for the entire quarantine or isolation period, if required, and
  • you have their permission to collect and share this information

It's always worth checking the above link before any trip - the wording is constantly being refined and simplified, and a lot of the questions asked here would be answered definitively on that site, with the benefit of Official Government Info rather than opinions & interpretations by us Not Government People! Yes, ironically I'm advising you not to trust my own advice;-)

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 2:14 AM, Sue from Canada said:

Will you be in a port within 72 hours of arriving in Canada? Maybe you can connect to wi-fi that way? 

Another question - I think I may have input my departure date on my cruise incorrectly (one day early as I used the airline departure date).  I have my code already, so 1) do I need to change this as my arrival date in Canada is correct and 2) how can I fix this if I need to?

10 minutes ago, Sue from Canada said:

No.  Flight back to Canada from Fort Lauderdale is at 11:45am

You might be able to connect to wi-fi and do it at the airport if you get there in time.  Good luck

On 8/16/2022 at 5:04 AM, DaveOKC said:

Another question - I think I may have input my departure date on my cruise incorrectly (one day early as I used the airline departure date).  I have my code already, so 1) do I need to change this as my arrival date in Canada is correct and 2) how can I fix this if I need to?

You've made an incorrect entry on an official government data submission - so yes, get it changed!

Maybe enough other folks have made similar errors that they assume you have made an entirely innocent mistake and ignore it (the ship report will contain a raft of Date X Embarkation pax, and possibly just you with Date X-1, so it will stand out like the provertbial sore thumb) - but maybe you get contacted just in case you did somehow join the ship a day early, and then mixed with everyone on the prior cruise as well as the one you are on now which complicates any Covid exposure analysis... if they call or email, that means taking time out of your cruise to respond (quickly - you will get repeated follow-up contacts if you don't respond promptly to the first!)

A 'mea culpa' at that point, most likely no big whoop - but since it will take all of two minutes now to fix the problem that's definitely the better choice!

How to fix? Easy - ArriveCAN only holds one live trip, as soon as you make a new entry it will replace the current one with the correct date version, so you don't even have to directly delete the erroneous trip.

22 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

No.  Flight back to Canada from Fort Lauderdale is at 11:45am

Every terminal at FLL has free WiFi, and the data requirements for ArriveCAN are minimal so even if it's very busy you will easily get enough bandwidth to submit an entry. So if you are traveling with a phone/tablet/whatever, you should easily be able to find the two minutes to submit a Trip - and if you're entirely deviceless, the worst case 'have someone else do it for you' option is still in play.

OK folks - I deleted the old trip and today replaced it with the correct one.  The app kept most of the information required from the previous trip so I did not have to start completely over. Thanks for all the helpful replies - and I agree it was better to go ahead and replace it rather than worry about something red flagging the process at the pier.

A little confused about when to submit our Arrive Can info. We are cruising from Seward to Vancouver so at which point in the cruise do we need to submit the AirCan info, as I rerad it's 72 hours before arrival into Canada, which I assume means Canadian waters,

6 hours ago, gilliansp said:

A little confused about when to submit our Arrive Can info. We are cruising from Seward to Vancouver so at which point in the cruise do we need to submit the AirCan info, as I rerad it's 72 hours before arrival into Canada, which I assume means Canadian waters,

Its 72 hours before you board the ship that will take you to a Canadian port. In our case, as we sailed from Copenhagen to Boston with two stops in Canada, it was 16 days before we docked in Canada when we submitted the final info (we created our ArriveCan account about a week before that).