All bar menus and more aboard the Ruby Princess August 2022 (except Vines)

masterty

I found some time on my recent sailing to Alaska. So I downloaded all the menus listed for the trip on my laptop. Vines was not listed. When I went to Vines and acquired why Vines had no menu. I even tried the barcode in Vines and it also didn't work. I was told that it was being worked on. It needed updating as the popular wines were sold out and others were replacing them. They would update it once it finalized. That never happened before I got off, so Vines is missing. I included the MDR menus from a single day since they list wines available on plus and premier package. I hope this helps some figure out what wines and or liquor is available at each bar. Of course it is only a sampling since either your favorite wine or vodka may or may not be available when you sail.  Note: All of these menus are found using the barcodes found in each area. The barcodes use the Ocean Concierge data found at (shipname.princess.com). Since I was on the Ruby I used  ruby.princess.com when once connected to the ships WiFi. No internet purchase necessary. My DW and I also used Ocean Concierge on our phones and like the Patter much better than using the Medallion app. The sideways, up and down of the Journey view on the Medallion app is goofy and we often missed items. We prefer using our phones over paper but found ourselves not bothering with the Medallion app unless required and stuck with the Ocean Concierge found at ruby.princess.com for daily activities. 

Ruby Princess Menus 2022.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, uspearls said:

This is gold, thanks!  And I never knew about the URL once onboard and connected to WiFi....

Next time your on the ship just put (shipname.princess.com) and you will access the pre-medallion electronic app Ocean Concierge. The newest features will forward you to the Medallion App but location, menus and more as well as your daily planner (aka Princess Patter) is an easy scroll vertically down a timeline. 

Screenshot_20220803-222715_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1203116efdcdd062431dc22674387b0f.jpg

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

I was able to open the original link, thank you.

Did the MDR have the new wine list?

47 minutes ago, masterty said:

There is a wine list included 08/2022

Yes, the attachment has what appears to be the full wine list.  A quick look-see and some comparisons to 2021 prices indicate they shot them up around 50%.  OUCH!!!  Huge increase for certain.  

But then, you could also say the prices had not been touched since 2019.  Now that I see a complete listing, I see what some folks were saying about the hit to wine drinkers when Premier came in.  With the huge price increase, so much of the wine is in the Premier category (if it does come by glass at all). 

I figure BYOW has to be an even better deal now. 

• Like 1

I am working up a new wine analysis spreadsheet using these August prices.  Very few have zero price change since last year.  

Does anyone know if they are offering the wine packages - like 10 or 12 bottles for $X and then you select any wine from the menu up to $Y/btl (used to be around $30-something and a gold for about $40-$45???).  Wondering if they are still offering these on the longer voyages? 

I have never got one, but it is another comparison in my spreadsheet I used to do since the package does lower the average bottle cost.  If they DO offer it now, the price would have to be a lot higher to cover these big wine prices.

Thanks for this! I'm not a huge wine drinker, but do enjoy a glass of Pinot Grigio with dinner - looks as if I only have one choice of that under Plus package. Even Attems (which was one of the limited choices available prior to the package addition) is no longer included....

I'm curious - looking at Crown Grill wine choices, there seems very few listed by glass, and those that are listed are over the $12 covered by Plus. So, if dining at Crown Grill, I assume you could request a wine covered by the package, albeit from another bar?

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I am working up a new wine analysis spreadsheet using these August prices.  Very few have zero price change since last year.  

Does anyone know if they are offering the wine packages - like 10 or 12 bottles for $X and then you select any wine from the menu up to $Y/btl (used to be around $30-something and a gold for about $40-$45???).  Wondering if they are still offering these on the longer voyages? 

I have never got one, but it is another comparison in my spreadsheet I used to do since the package does lower the average bottle cost.  If they DO offer it now, the price would have to be a lot higher to cover these big wine prices.

Last time I purchased the wine package was on a 2019 Alaska sailing. It wasn't advertised and we were told by several people that the package had been discontinued. We were fortunate to have an outstanding head waiter (Irina) who went above and beyond in getting the package for us and it was worth every penny! I haven't heard anyone mention it recently, but whether that's because it has been discontinued or because no one knows about it, I'm not sure!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Last time I purchased the wine package was on a 2019 Alaska sailing. It wasn't advertised and we were told by several people that the package had been discontinued. We were fortunate to have an outstanding head waiter (Irina) who went above and beyond in getting the package for us and it was worth every penny! I haven't heard anyone mention it recently, but whether that's because it has been discontinued or because no one knows about it, I'm not sure!

I agree - have not seen a peep about it.  Not even a note that someone asked on board a ship.  Likely no advertising boards for it like they used to.  I only thought of it from looking at my wine spreadsheet. 

18 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I agree - have not seen a peep about it.  Not even a note that someone asked on board a ship.  Likely no advertising boards for it like they used to.  I only thought of it from looking at my wine spreadsheet. 

Here's a sneak preview of my wine spreadsheet.  I will make a separate post.  Included are all the bottle prices I could find with TOTAL WINE (my go-to in FLL).  I used a sales tax rate on the wine of 7% which is the rate in FLL.  

I will have some more observations, but I am thinking some of the really high-end stuff they still had in stock and didn't boost it up too much??  I suppose they would like to move some of it.  I mean, really, who needs/wants to buy a Chateau Petrus on a ship for over $6,000 with gratuities???  Where is any meal going to match the level of the wine - LOL?  Anyway, I digress.  It really doesn't take a spreadsheet to realize most of the wine pricing is sky-high for what you get and can save a bundle with BYOW. 

You will see my comparison of Princess Wine + 18% versus BYOW + sales tax + $20 corkage.  No comparison.  

I will be looking into trying to get other missing price points.  One other useful thing is if one is going to buy bottle(s) on board, at least you can figure out which ones are closer to retail and which ones are a total ripoff.

Princess Wine List - 2022-Summer.xlsx

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Steelers36Thats really impressive.  Thank you for doing this. I saw those Sunny With A Chance Of Flowers wines (rise and Sauvignon blanc) on the Plus package by the glass menu. I happened to be in Pacific Grove all this past week and after seeing they were from Monterey county I picked up a bottle of the rose. The store I was in didn’t have the Sauvignon blanc. I looked the winery up on line and read that these wines are only 9% alcohol, with Zero residual sugars and only 85 calories in a 5 ounce glass. Ok I’m intrigued.  

I paid $9.99 and am back at home drinking a glass of it as we speak. I would describe it as not offensive. There is really nothing to it in terms of flavor or finish or mouth feel or really anything. But it is not offensive so one can drink it. If I paid $53 (I think that’s how much Princess is charging for a bottle over the spread sheet) I would however be very offended. 

I have been on two wine tasting trips so far with a visit to Paso Robles region coming soon.  Retirement is sooo much fun!  I’m stocking up on some lovely wines quite reasonably priced even with corkage considered. I’m also getting some of my treasured Alsatian Whites to bring on board. I’m with you….. BYOW is going to be the way to go for me. 

I think those who drink reds will have an easier time of it finding suitable wines by the glass. 

Excellent spreadsheet, I was not convinced that BYOW would work. Do you drink Beer or spirits on a cruise? If so how would you factor those in? i.e. I get plus package, drink beer and occasional cocktail. I am also OK with house red Cabernet and DW with house Chardonay.

• Like 1