Pearl Harbor, Arizona and Missouri

gerig

I will arriving on 11/13/22 and checked  the cruise excursion is sold out.  I checked a lot of other tour companies but the times the tours start at 6:30, 7 and 7:30 am which is a problem since the ship is set to arrive in honolulu at 7 am.  

My plan is to try to go this on my own but need more information.  I know the site recreation.gov has tickets to pearl harbor but do they also sell tickets for the Missouri. The tickets are not available for 11/13/22 yet and I was wondering when they release them -30 days, 60 days?  

Any other suggestions for visiting these 2 historical sites would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

We took "The Bus" from outside the Honolulu cruise dock to Pearl Harbor several years ago, without signing up for anything in particular.  At least at that time, you could sign up for The Arizona Tour (no cost at that time) upon arrival.  They issue tickets on "first come/first serve."  Since we had about 2 or 3 hours to wait we toured the submarine first.  The Missouri is nearby, within walking if I recall.  We toured the air base instead, which I was not particularly impressed with.  Check out "The Bus" website to get an idea of scheduling.  My recollection is that we took one line each way to Pearl Harbor; and, the fare was very cheap.   http://www.thebus.org/

14 hours ago, Jeff in Torrance said:

We took "The Bus" from outside the Honolulu cruise dock to Pearl Harbor several years ago, without signing up for anything in particular.  At least at that time, you could sign up for The Arizona Tour (no cost at that time) upon arrival.  They issue tickets on "first come/first serve."  Since we had about 2 or 3 hours to wait we toured the submarine first.  The Missouri is nearby, within walking if I recall.  We toured the air base instead, which I was not particularly impressed with.  Check out "The Bus" website to get an idea of scheduling.  My recollection is that we took one line each way to Pearl Harbor; and, the fare was very cheap.   http://www.thebus.org/

The Missouri is not within walking distance,  and the Navy won't let you walk it if it were. There is a free shuttle from the main facilities to where the Missouri is, and the nearby Museum. A tour of the Missouri is very interesting. 

On 8/17/2022 at 9:04 AM, gerig said:

I will arriving on 11/13/22 and checked  the cruise excursion is sold out.  I checked a lot of other tour companies but the times the tours start at 6:30, 7 and 7:30 am which is a problem since the ship is set to arrive in honolulu at 7 am.  

My plan is to try to go this on my own but need more information.  I know the site recreation.gov has tickets to pearl harbor but do they also sell tickets for the Missouri. The tickets are not available for 11/13/22 yet and I was wondering when they release them -30 days, 60 days?  

Any other suggestions for visiting these 2 historical sites would be appreciated.

We got our tickets for Pearl Harbor on 9/3 for 10/28, they opened up that day. Looking to possibly take UBER there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kickbackcruisers said:

We got our tickets for Pearl Harbor on 9/3 for 10/28, they opened up that day. Looking to possibly take UBER there.

Uber is good and easy. Visiting the USS Arizona Memorial is still free, but if you buy tickets online, there is a $1 per ticket charge for handling fees.

For the OP, tickets are released "eight weeks" in advance. That is for Primary Booking and it is 56 days. Here is the explanation from Rec.gov:

"Primary Booking Window: Tickets are available 8 weeks (56 days) in advance at 3 pm HST on a rolling daily window. Example: On Monday, May 2, tickets will be available for Monday, June 27; on Tuesday, May 3, tickets will be available for Tuesday, June 28.  

Secondary Booking Window: Additional tickets are available one day in advance at 3 pm HST on a rolling daily window. Example: On May 3, additional tickets will be available for May 4; on May 4, additional tickets will be available for May 5."

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 12:09 PM, 93yearsyoung said:

Uber is good and easy. Visiting the USS Arizona Memorial is still free, but if you buy tickets online, there is a $1 per ticket charge for handling fees.

For the OP, tickets are released "eight weeks" in advance. That is for Primary Booking and it is 56 days. Here is the explanation from Rec.gov:

"Primary Booking Window: Tickets are available 8 weeks (56 days) in advance at 3 pm HST on a rolling daily window. Example: On Monday, May 2, tickets will be available for Monday, June 27; on Tuesday, May 3, tickets will be available for Tuesday, June 28.  

Secondary Booking Window: Additional tickets are available one day in advance at 3 pm HST on a rolling daily window. Example: On May 3, additional tickets will be available for May 4; on May 4, additional tickets will be available for May 5."

Question for you, we have been to Pearl a few times on tours but never noticed if there was an entry fee? We have done the Arizona and Mighty Mo but not the sub. Thinking of taking the bus to Pearl visiting the sub go through the museum again then grab the bus back to the dock area. Just looking at daytime things to do, think we are on the same cruise in Oct.

Thanks

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Question for you, we have been to Pearl a few times on tours but never noticed if there was an entry fee? We have done the Arizona and Mighty Mo but not the sub. Thinking of taking the bus to Pearl visiting the sub go through the museum again then grab the bus back to the dock area. Just looking at daytime things to do, think we are on the same cruise in Oct.

Thanks

There is no entry fee for Pearl Harbor. There are fees for certain activities...like tours of the Missouri,  and booking Arizona tickets in advance. IIRC, there is a fee to tour the sub.

• Like 1

I recall that there were packages for the tours, which (I think) gave some discount for visiting more than one venue, such as "submarine plus Missouri," versus purchasing individual tickets for the submarine and the Missouri.  The submarine is located near the entrance and ticketing, which the Missouri and Airfield are reached by bus (If I recall).

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 4:24 AM, latebloomer56 said:

Pearl Harbor is a mish mash. It is an active military base still, so getting onto Ford Island for the USS Oklahoma and USS Utah Memorials requires certain steps; the USS Missouri requires an admission fee, the USS Bowfin requires an admission fee; the USS Arizona Memorial is free, but currently requires reservations. I don't believe they are doing walk up right now. The sites below should help.

https://www.nps.gov/perl/index.htm

https://www.pearlharborhistoricsites.org/pearl-harbor/uss-bowfin-submarine

https://www.nps.gov/perl/ford-island-bus-tour.htm

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 4:24 AM, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks

If you are going to visit the platform of the Arizona you need a ticket, if online cost is $1.00. I don’t know anything about the sub, sorry. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

If I wanted to do it on my own and not use the NCL's post cruise excursion what could I do with luggage?

I believe there is a luggage storage option near the visitors center for something like $5 per bag-- I have never used it, just heard about it. I would call ahead though-- this could have changed over the shutdown the past few years. 

You also could rent a car and just use that as secure luggage storage and airport transportation. 

On 9/20/2022 at 12:36 PM, Tree_skier said:

If I wanted to do it on my own and not use the NCL's post cruise excursion what could I do with luggage?

This is NOT the official Pearl Harbor site, but it does give accurate information on luggage storage.

How much is baggage storage at Pearl Harbor? - Pearl Harbor

Here is the official site; note it is a .gov site.

Pearl Harbor National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

Edited by 93yearsyoung