TV's On Yacht Class - Windstar Rep Told Us You Get Netflix and Hulu??

SeaDayLvr

Hi,

A Windstar representative told us that the new tv's on the yacht class ships now have netflix and hulu.  Does anyone know this to be true?  If so, do we just sign into our account for Netflix and Hulu on the tv?

We are doing a 13 day transpacific and I even wonder if Hulu and Netflix would work, as in my countries they are not allowed.  

The representative also said the DVD players in each room work, but the DVD's in the library have scratches and don't play well??

Just trying to figure out our entertainment for 13 sea days.

Thank you all!

1 hour ago, Pirokp2 said:

Hi,

A Windstar representative told us that the new tv's on the yacht class ships now have netflix and hulu.  Does anyone know this to be true?  If so, do we just sign into our account for Netflix and Hulu on the tv?

We are doing a 13 day transpacific and I even wonder if Hulu and Netflix would work, as in my countries they are not allowed.  

The representative also said the DVD players in each room work, but the DVD's in the library have scratches and don't play well??

Just trying to figure out our entertainment for 13 sea days.

Thank you all!

We just returned from 18 days on Star Pride. There were about 80+/- movies on demand on the TV. There was no DVD player in the room. I do not recall seeing any DVD's on the shelves or in cabinets in the Yacht Club either. I do not recall a library onboard.

There were several music channels available on the TV.

There were several satellite TV stations available, but I do not recall either Hulu or Netflix available on the TV.

Based on our experience, I would recommend loading up your Kindle (or preferred personal device) with as many books, journals, movies, etc. before you leave home. 

Rob

2 hours ago, ryndam said:

We just returned from 18 days on Star Pride. There were about 80+/- movies on demand on the TV. There was no DVD player in the room. I do not recall seeing any DVD's on the shelves or in cabinets in the Yacht Club either. I do not recall a library onboard.

There were several music channels available on the TV.

There were several satellite TV stations available, but I do not recall either Hulu or Netflix available on the TV.

Based on our experience, I would recommend loading up your Kindle (or preferred personal device) with as many books, journals, movies, etc. before you leave home. 

Rob

Thank you so much Rob, this helps a lot!!  I will load up the Kindle with a lot of books.  Thank you again!

Netflix and Hulu are streaming services over the internet, not satellite TV.  I cannot picture that they would:

A)  Include an internet service for all staterooms, even those without an internet package

B)  Have the satellite bandwidth to provide hi-def streaming to all guests.

Download some books to your tablet.  Maybe even get out of your cabin and meet and socialize with other guests.  If you start asking "what will we do" after you have already booked a crossing, perhaps you need to adjust your cruise selection criteria.

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Netflix and Hulu are streaming services over the internet, not satellite TV.  I cannot picture that they would:

A)  Include an internet service for all staterooms, even those without an internet package

B)  Have the satellite bandwidth to provide hi-def streaming to all guests.

Download some books to your tablet.  Maybe even get out of your cabin and meet and socialize with other guests.  If you start asking "what will we do" after you have already booked a crossing, perhaps you need to adjust your cruise selection criteria.

Yes, I know that Netflix and Hulu are streaming devices, I have them here at home.  

Thanks for advice to "get out of my cabin and socialize".  After 25+ cruises (mostly Azamara and Celebrity), and having done multiple transpacific and transatlantic cruises, I can tell you that I know how to do sea days quite well.   🙂

I am not asking myself "what will we do", I am only questioning what the Windstar Representative told me. Windstar does not have the entertainment like Azamara and Celebrity does.  That was why I was questioning the TV, and movies.  First time Windstar cruiser here.   

After-all, we might want the late night room service popcorn with a good old movie.  🙂

• Like 1

This may all have since changed, but in November on the Legend we were told that a number of changes were Covid-related.  The video collection was gone, as was the library, which IIRC was in the little room that is used for small meetings, demos and stuff. Also, interestingly, in the Yacht Club the playing cards were gone, but the jigsaw puzzles were still there, random!

I don't recall a DVD player in the room, were they ever there past renovation? It's not really something we use.  The TV options had been improved with more channels, and there were some streading videos, more than in the past and playable on demand. We buzzed through the few that looked interesting in a couple days. I assumed the movies were loaded onto a shipboard server and not streamed over the satellite. I guess I could watch Netflix on my laptop, but with the speed issues I'd think that would be an exercise in frustration.

Edited by milepig

2 hours ago, milepig said:

This may all have since changed, but in November on the Legend we were told that a number of changes were Covid-related.  The video collection was gone, as was the library, which IIRC was in the little room that is used for small meetings, demos and stuff. Also, interestingly, in the Yacht Club the playing cards were gone, but the jigsaw puzzles were still there, random!

I don't recall a DVD player in the room, were they ever there past renovation? It's not really something we use.  The TV options had been improved with more channels, and there were some streading videos, more than in the past and playable on demand. We buzzed through the few that looked interesting in a couple days. I assumed the movies were loaded onto a shipboard server and not streamed over the satellite. I guess I could watch Netflix on my laptop, but with the speed issues I'd think that would be an exercise in frustration.

Thank you so much for the information!  I am going to add playing cards to our packing list.  🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...