After September 6, departing no more pre-cruise Covid testing on WS Cruises except Canada, NZ, Australia and Greece.

Strenz

Oh no!

We board in Barcelona on the Sept 7th

We get to our 1st Greek island 4 days later.

Do we still need a test to board in Barcelona??

Or does this only apply to those BOARDING in a Greek port?

Or do we test on the ship before going ashore in Greece?

I must be missing something.

From the article, it sounds like the exceptions are where countries still require pre-cruise testing. I'm surprised about Greece, since they're generally quite open.

The exception to this new testing procedure is that Windstar must follow the local rules and regulations of all the countries it visits and currently Canada, Greece, Australia and New Zealand (subject to change) still require COVID-19 pre-testing prior to boarding any ship in their respective waters.

1 hour ago, milepig said:

From the article, it sounds like the exceptions are where countries still require pre-cruise testing. I'm surprised about Greece, since they're generally quite open.

The exception to this new testing procedure is that Windstar must follow the local rules and regulations of all the countries it visits and currently Canada, Greece, Australia and New Zealand (subject to change) still require COVID-19 pre-testing prior to boarding any ship in their respective waters.

As I read it, it's not just "boarding" in Canada, it's also arriving at a port in Canada during the cruise.  I'd like to be wrong on that, but that's the way I read it.  Also, there seems to be something called ArriveCAN that has to be submitted before you get to Canada.

3 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

As I read it, it's not just "boarding" in Canada, it's also arriving at a port in Canada during the cruise.  I'd like to be wrong on that, but that's the way I read it.  Also, there seems to be something called ArriveCAN that has to be submitted before you get to Canada.

Yes, we were in Canada in July and had to register with ArriveCAN in order to enter the country.

We're sailing out of Montreal on Windstar on October 12.

Flying from SFO, the timing is going to be very tricky.  I see where we can be tested by Windstar at the pier for $69. It's nerve-wracking, I am so stressed about this.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:54 AM, marinaro44 said:

I thought the same thing so I checked the embassy website and discovered NO, we do not need a test for Greece 

• Entry Restrictions to Greece Relaxed: As of May 1, 2022, travelers entering Greece are no longer required to display a certificate of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19, or evidence of a negative test result from SARS-CoV-2 infection.

(Gr.usembassy.gov)

So now we better call Windstar to be sure they will not require a test when the countries we are visiting do not.  Don't want a snafu at the dock.

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There's a difference between the rules for travelers entering Greece (e.g. by airplane) and cruise ship passengers.  We have been treated like pariahs throughout the pandemic.

I definitely agree about the double standard throughout the pandemic.  I just wish there would be some official source stating that this is the case.  

The Princess website (Aug 15th) states that passengers embarking in Greece must have a Covid test.
If we get tested before flying to board in Barcelona, it will be 6 days before we reach our first Greek island.  

On 8/19/2022 at 12:03 PM, debbie311 said:

Yes, we were in Canada in July and had to register with ArriveCAN in order to enter the country.

We're sailing out of Montreal on Windstar on October 12.

Flying from SFO, the timing is going to be very tricky.  I see where we can be tested by Windstar at the pier for $69. It's nerve-wracking, I am so stressed about this.

It is confusing.   If I read it correctly, we only need one of the two tests.  Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

It is OFFICIAL on today's Windstar website, but "subject to change"

"For cruises departing on or after September 6, Windstar will no longer require a pre-cruise COVID-19 test for embarking guests (unless required by one of the countries on the itinerary). Currently these countries require a pre-cruise test: Canada, Greece*, Australia, and New Zealand (subject to change).

* Please note that Greece requirements are currently different for cruising versus other entry requirements.

Until then, guests must arrive at the pier with a negative COVID-19 test result in hand. Windstar also accepts medically observed telemedicine tests."

My partner and I just got off the Star Breeze in Vancouver on the 19th and tested positive for covid.  We were far from the only ones.  Crewmembers had it on the previous voyage and were taken out of quarantine for our trip, only to have new ones get sick and go into isolation.  You could tell by the number of room service tables that were placed outside of cabins which were effected.  Two weeks ago I would have been doing a happy dance when I heard this news.  Finding a test pre-cruise was extremely difficult in Utah where I live.  Your takeaway should be PREPARE TO CATCH COVID on your cruise.  Bring any cough, cold, fever reducing medicine that you think you will need.  We are healthy and fit and quadruple vaxxed and thought we were immune from getting "bad" covid, but we were wrong.  It's really miserable.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ggraphix said:

My partner and I just got off the Star Breeze in Vancouver on the 19th and tested positive for covid.  We were far from the only ones.  Crewmembers had it on the previous voyage and were taken out of quarantine for our trip, only to have new ones get sick and go into isolation.  You could tell by the number of room service tables that were placed outside of cabins which were effected.  Two weeks ago I would have been doing a happy dance when I heard this news.  Finding a test pre-cruise was extremely difficult in Utah where I live.  Your takeaway should be PREPARE TO CATCH COVID on your cruise.  Bring any cough, cold, fever reducing medicine that you think you will need.  We are healthy and fit and quadruple vaxxed and thought we were immune from getting "bad" covid, but we were wrong.  It's really miserable.  

Thank you for posting this. I suspect your experience is happening A LOT and we're not hearing about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, avalong said:

Thank you for posting this. I suspect your experience is happening A LOT and we're not hearing about it.

Not just on cruise ships.  Our town seems to be in "don't ask, don't' tell" mode

This variant is super transmissible and appeared 2 years after our vaccines were created.
Double vaxxed, double boosted here too, but with this BA5, I have no illusions.

Just got off the phone with Windstar to pay the balance of our December Wind Surf cruise and asked about boarding the Legend in Barcelona (Sept 7th).  The representative said that we do NOT have to have a test to board in Barcelona, but if Greece still requires one 5 days later when we reach the 1st Greek island, they will test onboard.  I realize that's not a quotable, written "official" policy, but interesting anyway.  

8 hours ago, ggraphix said:

Sorry to hear about that ggraphix.  I am boarding the Breeze in a few weeks.  Can you tell me if the crew wore masks inside and if any passengers were wearing masks?   Just curious, did you and your wife wear masks inside?  Just trying to gauge what to expect when we board in a few weeks.  Feel better and sorry that you are dealing with covid.  

Yes, the crew, with the exception of the singers were masked up.  I would guess 1/3 of the guests came to the talks and entertainment masked, but close to none wore them in the dining rooms.  We masked at the port talks, but foolishly not on desk or in other public areas.  

Edited by ggraphix

12 hours ago, ggraphix said:

Yes, the crew, with the exception of the singers were masked up.  I would guess 1/3 of the guests came to the talks and entertainment masked, but close to none wore them in the dining rooms.  We masked at the port talks, but foolishly not on desk or in other public areas.  

Thank you for your honesty.  I'll be packing the N95's and masking onboard I guess.   Thank you!

19 hours ago, ggraphix said:

Other than getting to the table doesn’t everyone take of masks during dinner? You’re eating!

14 hours ago, milepig said:

Other than getting to the table doesn’t everyone take of masks during dinner? You’re eating!

It has been conclusively shown that food on a fork will effectively block any virus movement or transmission.  Same with the flow of wine from a glass towards lips and tongue.

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was an 11 day cruise.  I had a negative PCR test the day before boarding and masked on the airplane and on the train to seward.  Soon after we got on the Breeze, we learned through the grapevine that crewmembers had had covid, were recovering, etc.  I remember sitting close to someone on a tender on day 3 that was coughing and unmasked.  Since I tested positive on day 12, it is very unlikely that I cought covid before the trip.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ggraphix said:

I remember sitting close to someone on a tender on day 3 that was coughing and unmasked.

Same thing for me in May but it was 2 hours on a bus excursion.

"Constantly coughing" unmasked guy "took tylenol" to fool the temperature check and "didn't need a test to fly to his next destination."  3 days later I was positive!  This was NCL.  Of course, nothing can be proven but yeah I'm pretty sure in my case.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ggraphix said:

It was an 11 day cruise.  I had a negative PCR test the day before boarding and masked on the airplane and on the train to seward.  Soon after we got on the Breeze, we learned through the grapevine that crewmembers had had covid, were recovering, etc.  I remember sitting close to someone on a tender on day 3 that was coughing and unmasked.  Since I tested positive on day 12, it is very unlikely that I cought covid before the trip.

When you mentioned that you tested positive on Day 12 of 11 day cruise, do you mean that you discovered that you were positive after you left the ship?  So did you inform Windstar Cruise line of this or they didn't care since you are already off their ship.  I am very concerned since I will be boarding Star Breeze in San Diego for 13 days trip down to Papeete on Sept. 19th and if any crew members tested positive and still on board that might be a major problem.  Do you think the cruise line obligated to inform boarding passengers regarding any person tested positive and still remain on board?  And to compound the problem, as of Sept. 6 according to Windstar Website, new boarding passengers are no longer required to present Negative PCR test any longer.