World Cruise segments

cruiser3775

I'm new to cruising, and thinking of a long cruise next northern hemisphere summer. I like the look of some of the world cruises,  but would like to only do a segment of maybe 30 days. Can I do that? Can I choose an embarkation port and a disembarkation port, and just buy that section of a very long cruise? 

Usually, yes.  I'd find a travel agent who's a cruise expert and work with them.  If you haven't cruised much, the advice and guidance you'll receive will really make a great difference to your enjoyment.  Be pro-active and 'vet' anyone you want to work with to be sure that they know what they're doing. 

Edited by jsn55
change an adjective

5 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I'm new to cruising, and thinking of a long cruise next northern hemisphere summer. I like the look of some of the world cruises,  but would like to only do a segment of maybe 30 days. Can I do that? Can I choose an embarkation port and a disembarkation port, and just buy that section of a very long cruise? 

Cruise lines often do sell segments of their world cruises, but the cruise line defines what the starting and ending points of the segments are. You don't get to set your own itinerary.

For example I'm booked on the Oceania Insignia world cruise starting in January 2024, which has 10 or 11 different segments that can be booked.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I'm looking at a 107 day world cruise. How do I find out what the segments are?

You'll find it on the cruise line's website. Their booking engines allow you to set criteria to identify the cruises you want to  consider.

For example, let's say the world cruise you're looking at starts January 1 and ends April 17 . Search on the cruise line's website for all cruises on that ship that start in the months of January, February, March and April. If any segments are available they will show up as cruises that you can book during those months.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Princess line. Coral Princess world cruise.  I'd like to book something in the middle segment, starting somewhere in Europe, ending in New York.

London to NYC is available. No other July embarcations ending in NYC came up in the search.

https://www.princess.com/search-cruise/details/?voyageCode=6313

• Like 1

Thank you so much, crystalspin.  That looks good, but it says "currently not available".  Can you get put on a waitlist with Princess, or with a cruise travel agent? I'm guessing that they sell the full trip first, then fill in with the people who only want segments next?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thank you so much, crystalspin.  That looks good, but it says "currently not available".  Can you get put on a waitlist with Princess, or with a cruise travel agent? I'm guessing that they sell the full trip first, then fill in with the people who only want segments next?

I did not see that it was Currently Not Available! Oops.

I would get myself assigned to whatever Princess calls their Personal Cruise Consultants (HAL) or Personal Vacation Planners (Carnival) -- an in-house contact to deal with. I am not familiar enough with Princess to help you there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

When reviewing longer cruises, which are often called World Cruise or Grand Voyages, you cannot pick any port on the itinerary to embark and another to disembark. However, most cruise lines also sell multiple pre-determined cruises within the longer cruise that are referred to as segments.

Based on your residence and request for a Northern Hemisphere summer cruise, I assume you are probably looking at the annual Princess World Cruise. We completed that cruise in 2015 on Sea Princess, but I believe they now use Coral Princess.

May I suggest going to the Princess website and selecting World Cruise and the months you are considering. It will provide you with a list of the available segments.

• Like 1

crystalspin and Heidi13 have offered excellent advice.  Having sailed on one segment of a world cruise, you may or may not be able to choose a specific stateroom to reserve.  On the segment that I experienced, I booked a specific category with the expectation of being assigned a stateroom in that category or higher.  I eventually was assigned a stateroom in the next cabin category higher which was satisfactory to me.  That assignment took place two weeks before I left home.  

• Like 1

That segment won't be full, but they may well have sold all they are prepared to at this time.  What they certainly do not want is to fill the ship for one segment and have to turn people away who want to book the full monty.

It's possible that more cabins on that segment may appear nearer the time.  Depends how well full-cruise bookings go, probably.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

You said you are new to cruising. How new? Any previous cruises? If not, why not try out a shorter cruise first to see if you actually like cruising. Lots of people love cruising 😍, but lots of other people hate it 🤬

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thank you so much, crystalspin.  That looks good, but it says "currently not available".  

I am seeing AFT Inside cabins available as a guarantee on Deck 10 or the one Aft Inside on Deck 9 (it shares a wall with the passenger laundry...). 

I think this cruise would be a fine first cruise! So many interesting ports, and no more than 2 consecutive seadays. Whatever you do, do not book a cruise under 7 days and think it will give you a "taste of cruising". (I personally would say not under 10, unless you are going to Alaska, say, and longer is better there too.)

Also coming from Australia, I would say get the most bang for your (airline) buck. Spend a few days London and NYC! 

ETA, ps: a guarantee means that you do not get to choose your exact cabin. You will get a cabin of that class OR HIGHER! If you got a deck 10 inside it would be between decks of other cabins (9 and 11), although there are blank crew areas on deck 9. They might give you a much better cabin when they stop holding rooms out for the full World Cruise. It's a gamble but lots of things are!

Good luck! Contact Princess and get a CVP (Cruise Vacation Planner) and let them work with you.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

I've done one 10 day cruise quite a few years ago. I'm booked on two cruises in November and February. I agree that I should wait to see how I enjoy at least the November one before I start booking any long cruises in 2023. The problem is that they seem to sell out quickly.

Now I understand how the world cruise segments work, I can start planning. Thank you all for the helpful advice.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 3:43 AM, cruiser3775 said:

'm new to cruising, and thinking of a long cruise next northern hemisphere summer. I like the look of some of the world cruises,  but would like to only do a segment of maybe 30 days. Can I do that? Can I choose an embarkation port and a disembarkation port, and just buy that section of a very long cruise? 

hello cruiser 3775, I see you are in Australia: so might be interesting to check out European (  actually UK based) cruise lines and think about boarding in Australia.  when we cruised back to UK from NZ a few years ago there were 400 plus Aussies on board coming over to Europe for the summer.  that was on P and O Arcadia which I think is scheduled for world cruises in January 2023 and 2024. Boarding in Fremantle on that cruise would have been about 30 days to the UK.  Fred Olsen is also offering world cruises at same time.   Hope you find what you want.