Princess Grill Afternoon tea - about the only disappointment!

WestonOne

I really enjoyed everything about the Queen's Grill of my last trip except for this one disappointing area, which is of course actually held in the Princess Grill.
My expectations for the tea were set by a PDF(attached)  that I knew was out of date, but I thought the choice and style would be comparable.  It was not helped by a old Gary Bembridge video where he had been given a set of three "egg-timers", one for white teas, one green and one black.   So I was hoping for a good range of teas, well presented.

Instead, there was only whatever was in the pot, plus a choice of either "The Earl" or "Assam Orange Pekoe".   And, as I explained elsewhere, the waiter did not know what Orange Pekoe was.  While I am sure all the teabag options were available, there was no list and the waiter did not seem to know the full set.  It would have been a guessing game to work out what the options were.

The actual food was pleasant enough, but there were no sandwiches, for example.  While I had been led to think I could choose what I had from an extensive menu, in essence there was a choice of perhaps eight items on a fixed afternoon selection and I could choose not to have some of them, exactly as if I had the standard selection and just left some of them.

The other thing I missed was any sort of live background music.   Not piped, but perhaps a harpist or pianist.

HOWEVER:
The next day I wandered through the Queen's Room while the afternoon tea was being served there, and the pianist was playing and the waiters were going about, offering the cakes and sandwiches.   I then wandered up to the Lido and all the ranges of teas were visible in the racks, and all the sandwich choices laid out.

IN SUMMARY:
I think both the Lido and the Queen's Room did a substantially better job with the Afternoon Tea than the Princess Grill.  There, you did get away from the hassle of trying to find a table, but that was about the only thing it beat the other locations on.  My recommendation would be to go to one of those other locations.

CunardTwiningsRitualsMenu.pdf

Edited by WestonOne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the odd occasion I travel Grills I no longer take the Grills Afternoon tea on the vista class ships.    Many years ago in the early days of Q.Victoria, afternoon tea was always offered in the 'Grills lounge' with an overflow of a couple of extra tables set up in the restaurant, however, it was always a miserable affair with no live or piped music , just the same as pre dinner cocktails  (I can never understand why some people sit in that lounge night after night rather than getting out and about and enjoying the atmosphere in the Commodore club, Champagne Bar or Chart room)

WestonOne, you are absolutely correct, the Queens Room do a much better job,  with comfortable seating and 'low tables',  the atmosphere is elegant with either classical live music or the occasional Tea Dance.

There is life outside the Grills  😉 

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having previously enjoyed the Queen’s Room Afternoon Tea on QV and QE, this year I’ve experienced the Grills version on QM2 (in the Grills Lounge) and QE (in the Princess Grill restaurant). I’d agree, @WestonOne, that I found the Grills version the poorer option in comparison.

In the case of the QM2, I found the lounge really quite cheerless and bland; in the QE’s case the restaurant setting lacked atmosphere and really didn’t encourage one to linger.

I missed the drama of the trays, the procession, and the lower tables, oddly. I don’t know if the Grills version of Tea features different food items, but the ‘sandwich’ selection I experienced in both cases were all variants of rolls or croissant/brioche bread - I found myself missing the crustless white rectangles! Possibly a case of fancification a step too far for me.

I can’t comment on the wider tea selection, but I’m pretty sure I had Earl Grey on QE. But I don’t recall a huge list mentioned on the menu; I think Earl Grey was the only option other than standard (whatever that was!).

I’m looking forward to trying the QM2 Queen’s Room service in October and seeing if that hits the spot!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jonem2001 said:

Having previously enjoyed the Queen’s Room Afternoon Tea on QV and QE, this year I’ve experienced the Grills version on QM2 (in the Grills Lounge) and QE (in the Princess Grill restaurant). I’d agree, @WestonOne, that I found the Grills version the poorer option in comparison.

In the case of the QM2, I found the lounge really quite cheerless and bland; in the QE’s case the restaurant setting lacked atmosphere and really didn’t encourage one to linger.

I missed the drama of the trays, the procession, and the lower tables, oddly. I don’t know if the Grills version of Tea features different food items, but the ‘sandwich’ selection I experienced in both cases were all variants of rolls or croissant/brioche bread - I found myself missing the crustless white rectangles! Possibly a case of fancification a step too far for me.

I can’t comment on the wider tea selection, but I’m pretty sure I had Earl Grey on QE. But I don’t recall a huge list mentioned on the menu; I think Earl Grey was the only option other than standard (whatever that was!).

I’m looking forward to trying the QM2 Queen’s Room service in October and seeing if that hits the spot!

Yes we felt the same when we were in the Grills. The selection of Afternoon Tea cakes and scones, including the 'logo' on top of scones and some cakes was lovely, but the atmosphere was missing compared to the Queen's Room. As you say, no procession, no feeling of space, no music, but just fairly quiet lacklustre 'grey; boredom in the Grills afternoon tea - which is a shame. Also we always loved the Afternoon Tea dances, when they were organised, which can't happen in the Grills of course. We were disappointed that there was not even one Afternoon Tea Dance on our last voyage to the Med on QM2 though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

How would you normally request gluten free options?

Buffet:  You don't.  You just hope that they are marked GF or wait til someone comes along and ask (then hope they know what you are talking about and give you an honest answer).

MDR: Talk to the maitre D and prearrange GF meals.  Good workable system, or see readily marked GF items on the menus.

High tea:  You can ask, but then you may never see the server again.  Lucky you if he comes back with something within 30 minutes.  Tea time is very problematic.  Thus, my question.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Not all passengers like 'the show'. We like the tranquility of afternoon tea on deck 11. 

It is nice to have the option of the quiet version with the special teas and cakes, or the more lively version including the music - and on those occasions when it is also a tea dance, then we love to dance in between the tasting of a cake or sandwich.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 2:12 PM, 1980dory said:

I'm wondering what gluten free options are available on the QM2 at high tea.

Secondarily, how does one request the gluten free options (if available)?

On QV this week gluten free options at afternoon tea in the Lido were on a separate counter clearly labelled. I would expect other ships to follow same. 

Edited by 2BACRUISER
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 2:12 PM, 1980dory said:

I'm wondering what gluten free options are available on the QM2 at high tea.

Secondarily, how does one request the gluten free options (if available)?

Gluten Free options ( in the Queens Room)  are no problem for Cunard Line who have been in the business for 180 years or more . They have a wealth of experience of catering for those with special dietary needs . 

One just needs to confirm your requirements ( eg Afternoon Tea)  a few hours before, however, it's always courtesy to advise the duty MD of the dates you intended to take the Afternoon tea, rather than not turning up after an advance order of the Gluten free options . You'll be surprise at the amount of unnecessary waste . 

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

On our recent Alaska cruise on the QE we were disappointed with afternoon tea in both the Grills and the Queens Room.

The tea in the PG restaurant was quiet, which on our cruise was a blessing. There was no harpist on the ship, unlike all our previous voyages on the QE, and the string trio never played once in the Queens Room tea. There was a pianist on some days, which was very nice, and a noisy saxophonist on  one day and a guitar, apparently amplified, on another.  The service and the food was mostly as good as usual, except some of the finger sandwiches were stale.

In the PG, loose tea was poured through a strainer, which was tasty.  We didn't want sandwiches which were made with buns. I considered going to the Lido to get a few cucumber finger sandwiches (hopefully not the stale variety) and bring that to the PG. But I never did.

We have another QE cruise booked for next summer and hope things improve. We love that ship so won't be deterred by the downgrading of the tea experience.  We can always have tea in our stateroom or on our balcony.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

In the PG, loose tea was poured through a strainer, which was tasty.  We didn't want sandwiches which were made with buns. I considered going to the Lido to get a few cucumber finger sandwiches (hopefully not the stale variety) and bring that to the PG. But I never did.

Next time you are on the ship if in the Grills, do try the “buns” as you will find these are mini brioche and absolutely  delicious. Gorgeous with cream cheese and smoked salmon, and many other fillings.😌

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

What ! in a Mug . 😉

Excuse my ‘misuse’ of the term ‘deck11’. As the PG restaurant is on deck 11, I used that instead of the restaurant.

There is a world of difference between the bustle of an out door deck, mug of tea, as you so rightly indicated, and the tranquility of an indoor cup of tea.

I enjoy both.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

Next time you are on the ship if in the Grills, do try the “buns” as you will find these are mini brioche and absolutely  delicious. Gorgeous with cream cheese and smoked salmon, and many other fillings.😌

They certainly weren't broche on my last QM2 trip, but something rather harder and, because of their size, more or less impossible to eat without taking them apart. Any isn't brioche a sweetish dough? Why would I want that with a savoury filling? 

• Like 1

I agree that tea in the Grills Lounge on QM2 was pretty disappointing, partly because the room is miserable, as well as the rather lacklustre food, though the cakes were nice. The teas I have most enjoyed have been in the PG restaurants on the Vistas: a nice large table, with chairs that fit under, so you are not worried about spilling things by knocking the table with your knees, elegant stands on which your choice of food is placed, and a choice of teas. I don't want music or spectacle, particularly when I get a window view of the sea from my table.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Any isn't brioche a sweetish dough? Why would I want that with a savoury filling? 

It's an enriched, very soft dough and very usual to find in savoury meals nowadays - brioche burger buns etc.

47 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

It's an enriched, very soft dough and very usual to find in savoury meals nowadays - brioche burger buns etc.

And certainly not what I was served with tea last month. Also, I often have them for breakfast when on board, and they definitely taste sweeter than ordinary rolls. I wouldn't like them with smoked salmon at all.

Edited by exlondoner

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

And certainly not what I was served with tea last month. Also, I often have them for breakfast when on board, and they definitely taste sweeter than ordinary rolls. I wouldn't like them with smoked salmon at all.

So exlondoner, I take it that the offerings in the Queens Room are different than in the Grill Lounge. More upscale than the Queens Room in style and idea. (Sorry mixed opinions on particular taste).

Was it maybe different because July 1st sailing which my DW and I have done many was more a party cruise than a TA and like our NE/CAN voyage.

I would think they want passengers to feel the feeling of Queen the way it should be offered. The way we experienced it in the past. We will be anyway trying our the Grill Lounge or PG Restaurant and also the Queens Room as we have traditionally in the past. We do have options.

I do enjoy the traditional offerings in Qx Rm.... 

• Like 1

I haven't had tea in the QR since the QE2 went out of service, I rather think. Now I rather wish I had on our Med. cruise on QM2, given that I don't much like the Grills Lounge as a room, and the meal itself was lacklustre. Anyway I can't compare the two. All I can do is compare the Grills Tea on the different ships, and I much preferred that on QE in April.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 1:52 PM, Bell Boy said:

On the odd occasion I travel Grills I no longer take the Grills Afternoon tea on the vista class ships.    Many years ago in the early days of Q.Victoria, afternoon tea was always offered in the 'Grills lounge' with an overflow of a couple of extra tables set up in the restaurant, however, it was always a miserable affair with no live or piped music , just the same as pre dinner cocktails  (I can never understand why some people sit in that lounge night after night rather than getting out and about and enjoying the atmosphere in the Commodore club, Champagne Bar or Chart room)

WestonOne, you are absolutely correct, the Queens Room do a much better job,  with comfortable seating and 'low tables',  the atmosphere is elegant with either classical live music or the occasional Tea Dance.

There is life outside the Grills  😉 

Couldn't agree with you more @Bell Boy  though I'm not so sure that the Vistas do a 'Tea Dance'. It's always been a disappointment for us that they've certainly not done one while we've sailed on either. Nothing like the occasion onboard the Flagship...

607588279_TeaDance2inQueensRoom.thumb.jpg.74295fb9123d87143453377ea6d09d52.jpg

In the meantime I did think that the tea offerings on our last Queen Victoria cruise, albeit in the Grills, was deemed satisfactory...

1214319728_GrillsTea2.thumb.jpg.45a3fa7ad75f373035ccb7b7c956c393.jpg

The rolls do appear somewhat more delicate than the offerings in the  Queens Rooms...

1018893561_HighTeaQueensRoom.thumb.jpg.02ef824668ec863d6053f3312e7f99a6.jpg

Having said all that Cunard would certainly have to up their game somewhat to match the style and quality offered by Oceania...

1438373659_TeatablestodieforSR.thumb.jpg.af1944a843928f66fcc9f1e766063c71.jpg

126127119_HighTeaselectionTrolleySR.thumb.jpg.1108bc1d85d7df8368371781a90de205.jpg

• Like 3