Princess Grill Afternoon tea - about the only disappointment!

WestonOne

40 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Couldn't agree with you more @Bell Boy  though I'm not so sure that the Vistas do a 'Tea Dance'. It's always been a disappointment for us that they've certainly not done one while we've sailed on either. Nothing like the occasion onboard the Flagship...

607588279_TeaDance2inQueensRoom.thumb.jpg.74295fb9123d87143453377ea6d09d52.jpg

In the meantime I did think that the tea offerings on our last Queen Victoria cruise, albeit in the Grills, was deemed satisfactory...

1214319728_GrillsTea2.thumb.jpg.45a3fa7ad75f373035ccb7b7c956c393.jpg

The rolls do appear somewhat more delicate than the offerings in the  Queens Rooms...

1018893561_HighTeaQueensRoom.thumb.jpg.02ef824668ec863d6053f3312e7f99a6.jpg

Having said all that Cunard would certainly have to up their game somewhat to match the style and quality offered by Oceania...

1438373659_TeatablestodieforSR.thumb.jpg.af1944a843928f66fcc9f1e766063c71.jpg

126127119_HighTeaselectionTrolleySR.thumb.jpg.1108bc1d85d7df8368371781a90de205.jpg

Well, I had never thought the Grills Lounge on QM2 particularly attractive, but seeing the garish pretentiousness of Oceania makes me see it in a new affectionate light.

• Haha 2

All of the Cunard ships have done afternoon tea dances - the golden rule seems to be that they are always on a sea day, and they don't make a decision until they are sure the next day will be slight seas, and a sea day, and only then put it in the daily schedule. Sometimes we have asked about whether there will be a tea dance when it gets towards the end of a voyage - and miraculously there is one scheduled the next day!

On our next cruise perhaps we will ask at an earlier phase of the voyage!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

All of the Cunard ships have done afternoon tea dances - the golden rule seems to be that they are always on a sea day, and they don't make a decision until they are sure the next day will be slight seas, and a sea day, and only then put it in the daily schedule. Sometimes we have asked about whether there will be a tea dance when it gets towards the end of a voyage - and miraculously there is one scheduled the next day!

We'll be on for 14 days expect several sea days.

On 8/21/2022 at 12:16 PM, LadyL1 said:

Next time you are on the ship if in the Grills, do try the “buns” as you will find these are mini brioche and absolutely  delicious. Gorgeous with cream cheese and smoked salmon, and many other fillings.😌

On our previous QE voyage, in 2019, when we were in Britannia we had those with the smoked salmon and cream cheese in the Queens Room. Yes, they were delicious.

But we are trying to cut down (at least a bit!) on carbs. When in the Grills I can't resist those cheese rolls at lunch. Nor can I resist the scones.  It is so hard to cut down on a Cunard ship. One time on the QM2 Osman, the MD of the QG, told me many people take lunch or tea but not both. Perish the thought, I said.  

3 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

On our previous QE voyage, in 2019, when we were in Britannia we had those with the smoked salmon and cream cheese in the Queens Room. Yes, they were delicious.

But we are trying to cut down (at least a bit!) on carbs. When in the Grills I can't resist those cheese rolls at lunch. Nor can I resist the scones.  It is so hard to cut down on a Cunard ship. One time on the QM2 Osman, the MD of the QG, told me many people take lunch or tea but not both. Perish the thought, I said.  

Unfortunately I am the Old Seefood Diet preparing for the voyage. So to enjoy every part of the Cunard CUISINE. When I See Food I think twice. 

Scale each morning is cooperating with some brick wall morning's to deal with.

15 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

On our last Queen Victoria cruise, 19 days with 12 sea days, there wasn't one 'Tea Dance'  in the Queens Room.

I'd love to see anyone's photos of one as they have certainly passed me by.

23 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

On our last Queen Victoria cruise, 19 days with 12 sea days, there wasn't one 'Tea Dance'  in the Queens Room.

Wish I could get the hang of posting photos on here, however, just to say we had a tea dance on June 5th itinerary (Q.Vic) ( including dozens of other itineraries pre pandemic)  The secret is, one needs to request one with the Entertainment Manager ( especially Neil Kelly who is always accommodating )  within the first few days of embarkation, same with requesting Sequence Dancing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

• Like 3

Just now, BigMac1953 said:

Not that I take afternoon tea very often, but in 25+ trips on a mixture of all three ships plus the QE2, I've never seen a Tea Dance.

Unfortunately we have had one on the QM2 each sailing since we have been on board from 2006 and on. Mix of different sailings from NE/CAN to Panama Canal and Caribbean etc...

It's a common occurrence around the middle to the last day of the sailing. Like the one I just posted. 

On 8/22/2022 at 11:43 AM, Solent Richard said:

Having said all that Cunard would certainly have to up their game somewhat to match the style and quality offered by Oceania.

This is going to be a surprise to most, but, the bottom photo showing the multi-shelved cart with tea goodies was the way tea goodies was served on the Carnival Pride.  Tea was served in a corner of a dining room and the Stewards wore white gloves.  Do not recall any music; but, lots of pleasant conversations.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is going to be a surprise to most, but, the bottom photo showing the multi-shelved cart with tea goodies was the way tea goodies was served on the Carnival Pride.  Tea was served in a corner of a dining room and the Stewards wore white gloves.  Do not recall any music; but, lots of pleasant conversations.  

Unfortunately we never saw the Sweets on cart and the sandwiches. Tea and trays of Sandwiches & Sweets are carried by the Waiters with White Gloves Serving. Maybe carts are used in other parts of the ship.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Thank you @BklynBoy8 but that was taken on Queen Mary 2, pictures of which I have already added to this thread.

My issue is that of all the times I have cruised on the Vistas, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria, I have never witnessed a tea dance: hence my earlier request for any photographs. 

22 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Wish I could get the hang of posting photos on here, however, just to say we had a tea dance on June 5th itinerary (Q.Vic) ( including dozens of other itineraries pre pandemic)  The secret is, one needs to request one with the Entertainment Manager ( especially Neil Kelly who is always accommodating )  within the first few days of embarkation, same with requesting Sequence Dancing.

Thanks for that @Bell Boy.  It would appear then that while on Queen Mary 2 one can expect to see a tea dance promoted in the daily programme but on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth it is rather ad hoc (requested)  as opposed to programmed. 

On 8/22/2022 at 5:35 PM, ballroom-cruisers said:

Again, in all my times cruising with Cunard I cannot recall the weather (sea state) postponing dancing in the Queens Room. Shows maybe but never dancing.

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Tea and trays of Sandwiches & Sweets are carried by the Waiters with White Gloves Serving.

That's the manner in which the sandwiches and sweets are usually served on most of the ships I have sailed.  HAL will sometimes provide a three or 4 layered small tray that is placed on the table.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That's the manner in which the sandwiches and sweets are usually served on most of the ships I have sailed.  HAL will sometimes provide a three or 4 layered small tray that is placed on the table.  

I agree with the tray presentations at each table of the different items being offered. Separate Finger Sandwiches and Sweets and Scones with accompaniments. Getting the triple decker to the table gives you what they want to share with you. But maybe you may not be keen with item(s). White Glove Service gives you a better choice of what you wish to consume and avoid waste of items not wanted. You also will get without to greety as much of the item. I like the QM2 system better.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 4:19 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

But maybe you may not be keen with item(s). White Glove Service gives you a better choice of what you wish to consume and avoid waste of items not wanted.

That's a good point!  With the tray type of service, there have been some items not consumed by me.  But, with White Glove Service, I sometimes feel a bit "greedy" if I want more than just one particular item that I really like.  (Particularly, some of the small sandwiches if Tea has become my "lunch".)

• Thanks 1

We’re currently on QV, and in QG….wish we had heeded the warnings about the Grill’s afternoon tea service.  It really has me baffled on how poor it is…we got the printed menu with Earl Grey and Orange Pekoe listed, plus a description of the sweets and savories.  Before being asked what tea we wanted, the waiter just simply poured tea that I had to ask what it was (a not-listed Traditional Afternoon British Tea), and seemed confused that I might want Earl Grey (and also had no idea what other teas they had).  We ordered specific savories and a couple sweets….what was delivered was a random assortment of mainly sweets because they said they were out of most of what we asked for.  Compared to other lines we’ve been on (Seabourn, Crystal, HAL) this was a surprising letdown.  We’ll stick to Queens Room going forward for tea.

BTW, in every other respect, especially the Queens Grill restaurant, we are delighted with the experience.  Expectations exceeded, and they were pretty high to start with!  This is the only baffling exception.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With breakfast,  lunch (a very light lunch) and dinner, then for afternoon tea,  a cup of tea and just one scone is more than enough and not every day.   So no complaints, turn up just as it's closing nice seat by window,  they always remember we like raspberry jam. 

Of all the meals to be underwhelming,  afternoon tea doesn't both me. Each scone means another 2 miles round deck.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johng75370 said:

We’re currently on QV, and in QG….wish we had heeded the warnings about the Grill’s afternoon tea service.  It really has me baffled on how poor it is…we got the printed menu with Earl Grey and Orange Pekoe listed, plus a description of the sweets and savories.  Before being asked what tea we wanted, the waiter just simply poured tea that I had to ask what it was (a not-listed Traditional Afternoon British Tea), and seemed confused that I might want Earl Grey (and also had no idea what other teas they had).  We ordered specific savories and a couple sweets….what was delivered was a random assortment of mainly sweets because they said they were out of most of what we asked for.  Compared to other lines we’ve been on (Seabourn, Crystal, HAL) this was a surprising letdown.  We’ll stick to Queens Room going forward for tea.

BTW, in every other respect, especially the Queens Grill restaurant, we are delighted with the experience.  Expectations exceeded, and they were pretty high to start with!  This is the only baffling exception.

We went for a cup of tea once so maybe my experience wasn't the norm but I asked, as usual, for Earl Grey and my husband asked for 'Breakfast Tea so we had no problem with our choices.

Forewarned from my fellow CC members, I asked what other teas were available. Silence. 'I'll go and find out'.

The young waiter came back with a scribbled list, which I photographed.  Not that I'm interested in timing my tea etc or straining the tea leaves but the whole palaver is nothing like the pre Covid routine.

Doesn't bother us in the slightest but I can imagine those to whom 'the tea ritual' is important, the lack of the original finesse would be disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I asked, as usual, for Earl Grey and my husband asked for 'Breakfast Tea so we had no problem with our choices.

To be clear, we had no problem getting the Earl Grey we asked for…it was just a surprise that they poured something random without asking; when we said we wanted “not that” it was no problem getting it.  

34 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

To be clear, we had no problem getting the Earl Grey we asked for…it was just a surprise that they poured something random without asking; when we said we wanted “not that” it was no problem getting it.  

I suppose we're used to specifying rather than waiting/accepting a pour but I'm glad your choice was available.

Still think the routine will disappoint anyone expecting something special.

20 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

we're used to specifying rather than waiting/accepting a pour

We are too, but typically by having a waiter first present themselves and asking what we'd like (as is in Queens Room).  If we ever do tea in Grills again we'll follow your lead and let them know ASAP without any introductions or typical etiquette.  

• Like 1