Gala Themed Formal Evenings - Men Suggested Dress & Accessories.....2022

BklynBoy8

On our upcoming sailing in September this years list of Gala Theme Days are (Masquerade, Roaring 20's, Black & White and Red & Gold). These are also on most of the Cunard Fleet. I know the Ladies of our Sailing are getting ready with their Finest with ideas and suggestions. But how about Us Men..

Besides our Sailing there will be cruises before and after ours. Can those Men that have experienced these sailings share what your ideas were of what you may have worn. Appreciate your Input.. It may helps other looking for ideas too.... Thank U!

For the formal/gala nights - 'black tie' is always correct.

Most of the time the 'theme' is observed in the Queens Room [e.g. a parade of masked passengers on Masquerade night]. 

'Roaring 20s' predates the 'zoot suit' - and a tux aligns perfectly with the theme.

Black tie is Black and White

The 'red & gold' [formally called 'Royal Cunard'] calls for red and or gold accents - pocket square, shirt studs, cummerbund.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I dread to reopen discussions on dress on theme nights, but my inclination is to wear formal, but not black and white, for twenties, masquerade  and red & gold on a trip in about two months time.   I had the clothes already, so  I did not buy anything specially.  

Note:  I am not thinking 'gangster' for the twenties.  To me, that would be out of keeping while I suppose within the theme.  Perhaps something more like this

The most iconic outfit was the navy blue blazer over white or ivory trousers and a captain’s cap. This was the upper-class or ivy league look from the Victorian era through at least the 1960s. Subtle changes over the decades reflect the cut of the trousers (narrow to wide) or the jacket (double breasted to single breasted). The dress shirt was usually white with a necktie or bowtie in red or blue patterns

Edited by WestonOne

As a Guy just leave the Themed evenings to the ladies, it's a Girls thing. 

I've had a wealth of experience with these Gala themed evening and some of the gentleman's outfits, particularly on the 20's evenings are ridiculous, eg Gangsters with their Moll's,   I even saw a Chimney sweep complete with soot on his face carrying  his brush .

It's all becoming a fancy dress parade ,  Guys, just stick with your usual sartorial elegance.   

• Like 2

The theme evenings are best as elegantly dressed gentlemen and ladies with a 'hint' of a nod to the theme.  The masked balls were always best when people followed the tradition of the Venetian style masks, and not over-stated fancy dress masks, with black tie for men, and elegant evening dress for ladies.  Similarly for the Cunard ball, it is nice when men are dressed in dinner suits, whether black with black tie, or black jacket with gold or red tie, and the ladies evening dresses with some red or gold to connect with the theme. People do like dressing up - and this can be seen on land such as the past weekend when the newspapers had plenty of photo coverage of the Races weekend at York racecourse, when 77,000 people attended the races, with huge numbers of men of all ages with smart suits, ties, and even gold chains, and the ladies dressed to the nines, with new very fancy dresses of all styles, and hats or fascinators of a huge range of designs, and the inevitable high heels. People love dressing up. Not that the Gala evening is likely to be anything like the dress style of going to the races, but it is clear that a lot of people enjoy the whole process of anticipating an evening in style, whatever that style might be in terms of clothes.  However the Gala ball is not a 'fancy dress' evening, and dressing like a gangster for the 20s evening is not to me elegant - in the 20s a century ago I am quite sure people did not go to a dance with a firearm to show they were in theme! They wanted to look smart to impress the ladies, and the ladies would have donned the most fashionable dresses of that time - so I guess the theme would be to try to emulate what people would have worn to an elegant dance evening and dinner a hundred years ago.

• Like 4

That is one reason I am considering the blazer style.   The dance evening and dinner on land did have a different formal style to on the water. Admittedly, the typical yacht was somewhat smaller than a cruise ship!

(By coincidence, on our last cruise the film "Some like it hot" was on the TV, and set in the 20s, of course.  The millionaires (real and fake) went for the blazer look.)

Of course, and it must be stressed again, the majority of men will not adapt their dress at all for the other themes: it will be the same as the black white gala.  That is fine.  This particular thread was asking about those who might want to do something.   Many will be happy with just a different colour tie or pocket handkerchief.  That is fine as well.

But I would agree that whatever style of dress and whatever the accessories, it should not stray into the 'fancy dress' zone, with the possible exception (just!) of the masquerade.

Edited by WestonOne
  • Like 2

Yes a nice blazer can work really well.  Of course those who are lucky to be able to drive to the terminal don't have to worry too much about what can fit in their cases, but people flying to join the ship do have to be aware of luggage weight limits, and that can impact decisions on which clothes to take on the voyage. So whilst it is nice to think about the Gala evenings and what to wear, we also need to be sympathetic to men having one tux outfit for all the Gala nights. Nevertheless the majority still seem to make the Gala evenings special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestonOne said:

Absolutely.   If you have to fly, or even drive a long way, that will influence your options.  For a cruise where I flew, it would be the 'different tie or pocket handkerchief' for me!

Sorry not understanding.

How does flying, or driving, influence one’s options as to a different tie?

6 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Sorry not understanding.

How does flying, or driving, influence one’s options as to a different tie?

Three different ties rather than three different suits?

Personally, I've always thought of the Gala Nights as Formal Nights, so just wear black tie.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

I meant I would not be taking a separate blazer as part of my luggage, for example, because of the weight limits airlines impose.  So the only 'additional weight' I would allow for a costume would be an extra tie.

But scheduled airlines have luggage weight allowances based on ticket purchased, some more than others, plus the opportunity to pay for additional in hold luggage

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Schedule

27 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

But scheduled airlines have luggage weight allowances based on ticket purchased, some more than others, plus the opportunity to pay for additional in hold luggage

Yes, they do.  When visiting soon-to-be-inlaws in Mauritius some years back, we flew business and had a really good weight allowance so ended up taking some things they had asked for, including a lawnmower and a barbeque.  Doesn't everyone take a lawnmower on holiday?  🙂

It is all a personal choice, of course.  I would not pay extra to specifically carry more suits and costumes.  However, if for some reason I had a greater allowance or was obliged to pay for additional hold luggage for some other reason, then yes, I would probably use it to the full.

This is where the 'driving' bit comes in.  There is no weight allowance issue there.  But I would want to avoid taking so much luggage that a stopover or visibility while driving was inconvenient, then I would tend to take less luggage.  Others will balance the trade offs differently.

Edited by WestonOne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

Yes, they do.  When visiting soon-to-be-inlaws in Mauritius some years back, we flew business and had a really good weight allowance so ended up taking some things they had asked for, including a lawnmower and a barbeque.  Doesn't everyone take a lawnmower on holiday?  🙂

It is all a personal choice, of course.  I would not pay extra to specifically carry more suits and costumes.  However, if for some reason I had a greater allowance or was obliged to pay for additional hold luggage for some other reason, then yes, I would probably use it to the full.

This is where the 'driving' bit comes in.  There is no weight allowance issue there.  But I would want to avoid taking so much luggage that a stopover or visibility while driving was inconvenient, then I would tend to take less luggage.  Others will balance the trade offs differently.

There is obviously a great difference of cruise opinions here.  
We fly upgraded with it’s additional benefits, also happy pay for extra case/s as needed. With regard to driving, the car carries all we wish and the overnight Hotel (bell hop trolley) takes care of our luggage.  At the port, the driver and luggage attendant unpacks.

It’s our cruise and our choice, as to how we want it to be.  
Everyone is different. It’s the same as dress codes.

On QV last week for roaring 20's nite I saw a chap in white collarless shirt with rolled up sleeves and a flat cap. He was allowed in Brittania dining room suspect inspired by peaky blinders perhaps but not sure what his aim was 🤔🤔 most men wore black tie and lots of ladies in flapper dresses and beads. 

Edited by 2BACRUISER
Typos

Yep, a tux suit, formal white shirt (with cuff links) and black bow tie (learn to tie a proper one) and black socks & polished shoes are all you need for any & every formal night. Oh, suspenders (UK: braces) are better than a belt.

Without adding much extra weight to the suitcase, you might consider a selection of ties to match the theme and maybe a red handkerchief for the red & gold night, for example.

Keep it straight forward, guys, with simple accessories: the ladies'll love ya. 

I always find it a pain getting all the garb on for the first formal night; a glass of wine helps, though. But after that, it's a breeze (keep it all on one hanger).

• Like 4

On 8/22/2022 at 1:24 PM, 2BACRUISER said:

On QV last week for roaring 20's nite I saw a chap in white collarless shirt with rolled up sleeves and a flat cap. He was allowed in Brittania dining room suspect inspired by peaky blinders perhaps but not sure what his aim was 🤔🤔 most men wore black tie and lots of ladies in flapper dresses and beads. 

Same cruise, for Roaring Twenties themed Gala Night I don’t think I have seen before so many dressed in their twenties outfits.
And not just outfits but accessories too, both ladies and men. 
Men wore the gangster hat, white silk scarf to go with their tuxedo, ladies wore the retro headband, pearls, satin gloves while carrying a black and white cigarette holder.
The ladies really looked the part with their flapper dress and accessories.

A quick look on interweb and Amazon sell as a pack 1920s accessories for ladies and men.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 6:32 AM, WestonOne said:

I meant I would not be taking a separate blazer as part of my luggage, for example, because of the weight limits airlines impose.  So the only 'additional weight' I would allow for a costume would be an extra tie.

No weight limits on what you wear on the plane. Simply wear the blazer or suit dress shirt and one of the ties. Problem solved and most likely you will get an upgrade on the plane for looking like you do not belong in third class any longer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

No weight limits on what you wear on the plane. Simply wear the blazer or suit dress shirt and one of the ties. Problem solved and most likely you will get an upgrade on the plane for looking like you do not belong in third class any longer.

That’s speculating the person actually owns the items.

We drove to the terminal for our last Cunard cruise, and I noticed on the printed out Cunard luggage tags that they state a bag weight limit.  So even though I was not worried about airlines monitoring my luggage weight, I had to weigh my bag anyway!  I think the main thing is that one can bring more than one suitcase per person if one is driving, as long as each bag weighs under the Cunard accepted weight limit.  I have not yet graduated to trying to pack more than one bag, but I am very careful about purchasing lighter-weight evening gowns as I cruise often!  Husband had ONE tuxedo and many bow ties/ties, and he also had a suit and a sports coat. 

9 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Then of course you have those used to buying their ticket who know what you wear has no bearing on whether you belong in First, Second or, as you put it, Third class.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:14 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

On our upcoming sailing in September this years list of Gala Theme Days are (Masquerade, Roaring 20's, Black & White and Red & Gold). These are also on most of the Cunard Fleet. I know the Ladies of our Sailing are getting ready with their Finest with ideas and suggestions. But how about Us Men..

Besides our Sailing there will be cruises before and after ours. Can those Men that have experienced these sailings share what your ideas were of what you may have worn. Appreciate your Input.. It may helps other looking for ideas too.... Thank U!

I am on Victoria at the moment and the Masquerade Ball last night might well have been an ordinary Gala occasion.

I will start a separate thread with what I hope might be useful info.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

That may have worked 50 years ago, but you do realize plane upgrades don't work like that anymore? Money talks. Fancy dress (American definition, not British) for no reason doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

That may have worked 50 years ago, but you do realize plane upgrades don't work like that anymore? Money talks. Fancy dress (American definition, not British) for no reason doesn't. 

Not only money talks, so does “Friends & Family”……Followed by VIP,  then retirees and current employees 

• Like 1