Late flight into anchorage, where to get food?

Mountaineer0313

We land at about 8:30 on a Monday night in anchorage. We’re staying at Comfort Inn Ships Creek just for one night before getting the 6:45 train the next morning to Seward. I anticipate we’ll be starving after traveling all day. Where is a good, quick place to get a bite to eat near our hotel that will still be open. Also, different question, are taxis readily available outside the airport that late to take us to our hotel?

1 hour ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

Def plan for morning eats.  I found it very hard to find anything open early morning. 
wventuslly found snow city cafe which was awesome but seemed like the whole city was there all trying to get in. 

We won't need anything the next morning. We have to be at the train station by 6 am, so coffee from the hotel will be all I can handle at that hour. We get a full service breakfast on the train.

Why not pack something and eat on the plane before you land?   Once you arrive, get your bags, get a ride to the hotel, it is going to be late.  With the time change, you are going to be exhausted.  I imagine the best thing is just get your room and go to bed, especially if you have to be up early to get your train.

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

All of this info is easily available on the internet.  Go into Google maps and then click on the restaurants near your hotel.  Google is your friend.

DON

I imagine many questions on here can be answered on google. So why have a forum in the first place?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Why not pack something and eat on the plane before you land?   Once you arrive, get your bags, get a ride to the hotel, it is going to be late.  With the time change, you are going to be exhausted.  I imagine the best thing is just get your room and go to bed, especially if you have to be up early to get your train.

ehhh, I'm the kind of person who doesn't even eat leftovers lol. I like just cooked food. Buying something at the Dallas airport and eating it near the end of our 6 hour flight doesn't sound like a great dinner to me. Just looking for something quick and easy once we get our bags.

9 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

ehhh, I'm the kind of person who doesn't even eat leftovers lol. I like just cooked food. Buying something at the Dallas airport and eating it near the end of our 6 hour flight doesn't sound like a great dinner to me. Just looking for something quick and easy once we get our bags.

OK, I understand that.

I was just down near that hotel on my June cruise (we went to look at the creek and the salmon views).  There are no restaurants nearby.  You'll need to go at least a few blocks away.  The 49th State Brewing Company is fairly close and is very well-regarded.  But they don't take reservations and they can have a long wait.  You can easily walk to it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

OK, I understand that.

I was just down near that hotel on my June cruise (we went to look at the creek and the salmon views).  There are no restaurants nearby.  You'll need to go at least a few blocks away.  The 49th State Brewing Company is fairly close and is very well-regarded.  But they don't take reservations and they can have a long wait.  You can easily walk to it.

Thank you! A beer before bed might be just what we need to get a good nights sleep anyway. A 4 hour time difference is going to majorly screw with our schedule lol.

4 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Thank you! A beer before bed might be just what we need to get a good nights sleep anyway. A 4 hour time difference is going to majorly screw with our schedule lol.

Westward flights lead to rested time to recover -

Eastward flights (red-eyes) lead to restless hectic slumber -

Heartily recommend that 49th State Brewing place - disregard the waiting times lines -

you are not dining at prime time and beer is always available - eat at a table or at the bar

In the rushed morning - fortunately you are real close to the Depot right across the tracks

before boarding you can grab a quick snack a cup of coffee and then have that full Gold

Star breakfast on board - recommend the first earliest seating - you will want to see the

impressive scenery but not while eating.

You should have no trouble finding the taxis from the airport to Comfort Inn - Ships Creek -

It maybe a walk (about a block) from the baggage claim to the taxi stand - best have

wheels on your luggage to easily tote about.

You have this well planned - relax and enjoy 

Google Map for reference - zooom in for more or less detail

Comfort Inn Ships Creek centered in image to the left is the Anchorage

Depot and bottom left is the 49th State Brew place

Google Maps

Edited by don't-use-real-name
add map
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Westward flights lead to rested time to recover -

Eastward flights (red-eyes) lead to restless hectic slumber -

Heartily recommend that 49th State Brewing place - disregard the waiting times lines -

you are not dining at prime time and beer is always available - eat at a table or at the bar

In the rushed morning - fortunately you are real close to the Depot right across the tracks

before boarding you can grab a quick snack a cup of coffee and then have that full Gold

Star breakfast on board - recommend the first earliest seating - you will want to see the

impressive scenery but not while eating.

You should have no trouble finding the taxis from the airport to Comfort Inn - Ships Creek -

It maybe a walk (about a block) from the baggage claim to the taxi stand - best have

wheels on your luggage to easily tote about.

You have this well planned - relax and enjoy 

Google Map for reference - zooom in for more or less detail

Comfort Inn Ships Creek centered in image to the left is the Anchorage

Depot and bottom left is the 49th State Brew place

Google Maps

Good to know that we can choose our eating time. I definitely want to take advantage of having the domed car on our way there. Looks like right now sunrise is about 6:30 am, so will be plenty light by the time we're taking off. Last time we were in Alaska, it was great. I am not a morning person, but because Alaska is 4 hours behind our regular time zone, we just went to bed early and got up early. It was when we got back home that we were all screwed up. I don't think we slept right for a month.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Anchorage  and our second time eating at Humpys. While we enjoy it, 49th Street gets good reviews and is closer to your hotel.

Regardless,  I highly recommend taking transportation and not walking that late.

I think you will like breakfast on the train the next morning, we had a very nice lunch   
while riding it 2 weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

We just stayed at Comfort Inn Ships Creek last week - they have an airport shuttle which is not advertised well as we took an uber to the hotel and found out later. The shuttle will also take you to the railroad in the morning, which granted is only a few minute walk from the hotel, but it was raining when we would've needed to walk, so it was nice not have to lug our suitcases in the rain.

Walking to 49th St Brewing as many suggested would definitely be my recommendation, while it is an uphill walk, it will only take 10 minutes and is perfectly lit/safe. The main floor/bar is open seating, so as long as you're not picky about where you sit, we didn't have any trouble getting in!