Princess - Covid vaccinations

2 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Have just read elsewhere that Princess has now cancelled the need for Covid vaccination from 06 September - doesn't affect me or wife as we have had them anyway. 

Nah, not for cruising in Australia.

• Like 1

Just now, gogo65 said:

I just got an email from Celebrity who are also dropping their requirement (assume all of the RCI brands), again not for cruises to Aus/NZ/Canada

Correct. Carnival and Royal have also circulated their relaxed requirements over the past week. The transpacific cruises that arrive here later in the year also need to comply with the Australian protocols.

As our covid numbers continue to drop, we will likely follow the US lead, but hard to say when.

I wonder how many unvaccinated people are going to turn up at Australian cruise terminals just after the 6th September because they haven't actually read the rules applying to Australian cruising, they've just heard the announcement above.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Auscruisefam said:

I wonder if vaccinations will be dropped at all this season. Maybe January? I can’t see them being applied to the 23/24 season. 

If they do drop them I don't think it would be until March/April at least ie after the peak season is over.

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wonder how many unvaccinated people are going to turn up at Australian cruise terminals just after the 6th September because they haven't actually read the rules applying to Australian cruising, they've just heard the announcement above.

If they have already booked as unvaccinated, they should be all over it. If not yet booked, the T&C will open some eyes when booking. If they actually read the story instead of the headline, it would also spell it out for them.

So far though, many cruises since resumption have had people denied boarding, whether by being uninformed or thinking they could bluff their way on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If they do drop them I don't think it would be until March/April at least ie after the peak season is over.

I am thinking it could be before Christmas, subject to change if another variant takes hold.

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes - if you go to the Princess website with the eyes of a first time cruiser, eager to book your very first cruise - you will find that you can go right through the booking process without thought about any vaccine requirements ( there are plenty of dumb people 🙂 )  - it is only right down at the the bottom of the main website page, where there are numerous fine print links to many separate pages, and under the title BOOKED GUESTS , that you will find a small link to "Vaccine and testing requirements" . Hmm - says the first timer after making the booking and paying the deposit - "I wonder what this is all about?? 🙂 "

I am not sure where the acceptance of the vaccination requirements comes into play when booking direct. At least with our T/A, that is all clearly included in the booking info for the held cabin prior to committing a deposit. Pretty common knowledge that vaccination is required here, and that hasn't changed. Still, they live among us.

What is interesting now though, is that you can be unvaccinated and travel to cruise in the US, but can't do a cruise to nowhere out of Sydney. Well, sort of, as there is still the issue of travel insurance. Some cruise lines require unvaccinated to provide proof of medical insurance, and I don't believe you will get such an Australian policy without being vaccinated.

6 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I am not sure where the acceptance of the vaccination requirements comes into play when booking direct. At least with our T/A, that is all clearly included in the booking info for the held cabin prior to committing a deposit. Pretty common knowledge that vaccination is required here, and that hasn't changed. Still, they live among us.

What is interesting now though, is that you can be unvaccinated and travel to cruise in the US, but can't do a cruise to nowhere out of Sydney. Well, sort of, as there is still the issue of travel insurance. Some cruise lines require unvaccinated to provide proof of medical insurance, and I don't believe you will get such an Australian policy without being vaccinated.

Do they need general travel insurance or covid specific insurance? For our upcoming cruise I’m about to buy insurance but just general not for covid. I’m actually really confused by that why would I need covid specific insurance? Even if I get covid what is the insurance going to do? I don’t understand the point of it? 

1 minute ago, Auscruisefam said:

Do they need general travel insurance or covid specific insurance? For our upcoming cruise I’m about to buy insurance but just general not for covid. I’m actually really confused by that why would I need covid specific insurance? Even if I get covid what is the insurance going to do? I don’t understand the point of it? 

Sorry, I don't have an opinion on Travel Insurance, as it is like swimming in mud. Medically they will cover for covid, so no specific covid insurance is required as far as I can tell. The main $$$ risk is being treated on a ship or in an overseas hospital if you happen to be unlucky enough to get sick, as well as costs for rescheduling your travel around being in isolation - pretty much the same risks for any other medical emergency.

The last I checked though, they were only covering vaccinated travellers for covid. This may have changed, but I am not going back into PDS land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Yes - if you go to the Princess website with the eyes of a first time cruiser, eager to book your very first cruise - you will find that you can go right through the booking process without thought about any vaccine requirements ( there are plenty of dumb people 🙂 )  - it is only right down at the the bottom of the main website page, where there are numerous fine print links to many separate pages, and under the title BOOKED GUESTS , that you will find a small link to "Vaccine and testing requirements" . Hmm - says the first timer after making the booking and paying the deposit - "I wonder what this is all about?? 🙂 "

Except for the ribbon across the top.

Screenshot_20220824-093441_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, Auscruisefam said:

When I was researching travel insurance a few months ago, several companies specifically excluded claims related to COVID. As expected, this has changed as they have had to extend their policies to include COVID. Other insurers stated that they covered people for COVID, but in at least one case, it was only if it was on the trip, not COVID prior to the trip that prevented you from travelling. However, this latter case could result in a refund or future cruise credit from the cruise company.

I suggest you should read the pds of any policy you are thinking of. I don't know your ages, but most policies have an age limit. We use the complimentary insurance attached to our ANZ Platinum Visa card. It covers COVID but only applies to trips booked before the person's 81st birthday.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2