Drink package- is it worth having?

Ehg

I tried to search for this information on the P&O boards but got 8 “pages” in and only found one post about it and the comments were quite old. 
We’re sailing on Iona in February next year, it’s our first P&O cruise since the drinks package was introduced. I remember there was some discussion on here at that time about it not being the greatest deal or even worth getting at all. The thread I found seemed to back that up with people saying they refuse to serve doubles (even of espresso!), charging full price (with a discount) for drinks over the maximum limit etc. 

The last comments on the thread were from April I think and there was speculation that P&O might make some improvements to the package. 
So my question is to those who have cruised recently and can tell me if it’s a good deal?

Thank you 😊 

10 minutes ago, Ehg said:

I tried to search for this information on the P&O boards but got 8 “pages” in and only found one post about it and the comments were quite old. 
We’re sailing on Iona in February next year, it’s our first P&O cruise since the drinks package was introduced. I remember there was some discussion on here at that time about it not being the greatest deal or even worth getting at all. The thread I found seemed to back that up with people saying they refuse to serve doubles (even of espresso!), charging full price (with a discount) for drinks over the maximum limit etc. 

The last comments on the thread were from April I think and there was speculation that P&O might make some improvements to the package. 
So my question is to those who have cruised recently and can tell me if it’s a good deal?

Thank you 😊 

In my opinion it isn't a good deal, we would never drink nearly enough and don't want to try. I have read that some of the cocktails have had their price cut to bring them below the £6.95 limit so they qualify for the package. Basically you need to do the sums and decide whether it works for you,

• Like 2

God knows, I like a glass of wine or two, but I would not consider the P&O package good value.

Plus, the fact that you have to pay the full amount if you want a drink above the maximum allowed price, is iniquitous.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ehg said:

Thank you 😊 

Personally, my view is to wait until your are onboard.  Check out the prices, do a rough calculation of what you may drink taking into account sea days vs port days, and days where you just don't want a drink.  if you will benefit buy onboard on the 1st/2nd day.  On our Iona June cruise, it was just not worth it.  All the cocktails we drink were over the £6.95 maximum price, and the discount on the bottles of champagne wasn't worth it.

We have had the package before, and was great.  We are back onboard Iona in November, and will run through as above, although the better half has already stated she will not be drinking alcohol every day.

• Like 2

Just now, wowzz said:

God knows, I like a glass of wine or two, but I would not consider the P&O package good value.

Plus, the fact that you have to pay the full amount if you want a drink above the maximum allowed price, is iniquitous.

Don't forget the 20% discount for drinks over £6.95.

• Like 1

If its included in the fare and OBC covers the uograde to premium drinks it is well worth it.

Otherwise I doubt it is good value for money on P&O due to restriction on drinks that are included and the fact drinks are reasonably priced.

On US ships it works because they will happily charge you $10 plus 20% tip for a small bottle of lager if you don't buy the package.  At $12 for one drink, $59 for a drinks package looks a bargain.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ehg said:

Thank you 😊 

We have been on lots of 14 night cruises and have never spent anything like £1000 on drink. Not for us, but some folk seem to get their monies worth sometimes it seems staggering around the ship isn't due to the sea conditions🤣

• Haha 3

Nope. We never have the package. I don’t drink alcohol much so I won’t buy them

Below is what we spent on Britannia in April. I have two young kids and hubby who likes beer. We do drink quite a bit of water though and we did have one random day that we didn’t drink much. 
had I have bought the package at £80per day for our cabin that would have been £880. Yet we only spent £370ish. 
I would have had to force ourselves to drink more for it to be worth it. 

Britannia

18/4

Oxford gold

£4.75

Tropicana

£3.45

Tropicana

£3.45

Lemonade

£2.25

Good old boy

£4.75

Tanglefoot

£4.75

Brew dog

£4.75

19/4

Coffee

£2.50

Red Berry coolers

£3.25

Candy floss wine

£6.50

Pepsi

£2.25

Fruit salad

£6.95

Pepsi

£2.25

Tiger beer

£4.50

20/4

Tea

£2.20

Peronni

£5.20

Lemonade

£2.25

Lemonade

£2.25

Peronni

£5.20

Peronni

£5.20

Peronni

£5.20

Pepsi

£2.25

Fruit salad

£6.95

Peroni

£5.20

Pepsi

£2.25

Mango mule

£3.45

Mango mule

£3.45

Mango mule

£3.45

21/4

Pepsi

£2.25

Pepsi

£2.25

22/4

Pepsi

£2.25

Pepsi

£2.25

Jolly ollie ipa

£4.95

Pepsi

£2.25

Lemonade

£2.25

Daiquiri

£6.95

Ghost ship

£4.75

Okeles

£4.95

Doom bar

£4.75

Pepsi

£2.25

23/4/22

Lemonade

£2.47

Pepsi

£2.47

Peroni

£5.72

Pepsi

£2.47

Peroni

£5.72

Pepsi

£2.47

Pepsi

£2.47

Peroni

£5.72

Corona

£4.50

Wine

£7.00

24/4

Lemonade

£2.47

Pepsi

£2.48

Pepsi

£2.48

Peroni

£5.72

Peroni

£5.72

Pepsi

£2.48

Peroni

£5.72

Blue lagoon

£7.10

Peroni

£5.72

Coke

£3.15

Coke

£3.15

Coke

£3.05

Room service

£12.60

25/4

Coke

£3.15

Coke

£3.15

Lemonade

£2.25

Lemonade

£2.25

Mocktail

£3.45

26/4

Coke

£3.46

Lemonade

£2.47

Peroni

£5.72

Lemonade

£2.47

Peroni

£5.72

Peroni

£5.72

Peroni

£5.72

Coke

£3.05

Coke

£3.05

27/4

Tea

£2.25

Corona

£4.50

Peroni

£5.20

Summer love

£6.45

Coke

£3.05

Peroni

£5.20

Coke

£3.05

Summer love

£6.45

Summer love

£6.45

28/4

Tea

£2.20

Coke

£3.05

Tiger beer

£4.50

Tiger beer

£4.50

Tiger beer

£4.50

Total drink

£368.78

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Nope. We never have the package. I don’t drink alcohol much so I won’t buy them

Below is what we spent on Britannia in April. I have two young kids and hubby who likes beer. We do drink quite a bit of water though and we did have one random day that we didn’t drink much. 
had I have bought the package at £80per day for our cabin that would have been £880. Yet we only spent £370ish. 
I would have had to force ourselves to drink more for it to be worth it. 

Britannia

18/4

Oxford gold

£4.75

Tropicana

£3.45

Tropicana

£3.45

Lemonade

£2.25

Good old boy

£4.75

Tanglefoot

£4.75

Brew dog

£4.75

19/4

Coffee

£2.50

Red Berry coolers

£3.25

Candy floss wine

£6.50

Pepsi

£2.25

Fruit salad

£6.95

Pepsi

£2.25

Tiger beer

£4.50

20/4

Tea

£2.20

Peronni

£5.20

Lemonade

£2.25

Lemonade

£2.25

Peronni

£5.20

Peronni

£5.20

Peronni

£5.20

Pepsi

£2.25

Fruit salad

£6.95

Peroni

£5.20

Pepsi

£2.25

Mango mule

£3.45

Mango mule

£3.45

Mango mule

£3.45

21/4

Pepsi

£2.25

Pepsi

£2.25

22/4

Pepsi

£2.25

Pepsi

£2.25

Jolly ollie ipa

£4.95

Pepsi

£2.25

Lemonade

£2.25

Daiquiri

£6.95

Ghost ship

£4.75

Okeles

£4.95

Doom bar

£4.75

Pepsi

£2.25

23/4/22

Lemonade

£2.47

Pepsi

£2.47

Peroni

£5.72

Pepsi

£2.47

Peroni

£5.72

Pepsi

£2.47

Pepsi

£2.47

Peroni

£5.72

Corona

£4.50

Wine

£7.00

24/4

Lemonade

£2.47

Pepsi

£2.48

Pepsi

£2.48

Peroni

£5.72

Peroni

£5.72

Pepsi

£2.48

Peroni

£5.72

Blue lagoon

£7.10

Peroni

£5.72

Coke

£3.15

Coke

£3.15

Coke

£3.05

Room service

£12.60

25/4

Coke

£3.15

Coke

£3.15

Lemonade

£2.25

Lemonade

£2.25

Mocktail

£3.45

26/4

Coke

£3.46

Lemonade

£2.47

Peroni

£5.72

Lemonade

£2.47

Peroni

£5.72

Peroni

£5.72

Peroni

£5.72

Coke

£3.05

Coke

£3.05

27/4

Tea

£2.25

Corona

£4.50

Peroni

£5.20

Summer love

£6.45

Coke

£3.05

Peroni

£5.20

Coke

£3.05

Summer love

£6.45

Summer love

£6.45

28/4

Tea

£2.20

Coke

£3.05

Tiger beer

£4.50

Tiger beer

£4.50

Tiger beer

£4.50

Total drink

£368.78

Don't you just love a neat spread sheet, especially with highlighted cells !

Bravo Vamps.

• Like 5

Each to their own, but personally not in the slightest: for us it: is just not a good enough selection and - based on many friends’ comments on recent cruises with us who had bought the package -  the quality is not excellent. A lot of folk we got to know who had the package said they wouldn’t buy it again. Some said they would, most said they wouldn’t. 

On our cruise the other week, our drinks bill was way under half what it would have cost had we had the “ultimate” (really?) drinks package - and we each had several cocktails nightly, good coffees and teas when we wanted, soft drinks, bottles of wine and bubbly every now and then, bought drinks for others we had met and had the full range of the bar.

And of course on port days, we would not be drinking as much anyhow if we got off ship…..so would be paying for most of a day with less chance of using the “benefits”.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 3

Thank you all. The suggestion of waiting till we board is good advice although I’m sure I heard it’s cheaper to buy in advance? If I’m wrong about that then I’ll be delighted….😬

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ehg said:

Thank you all. The suggestion of waiting till we board is good advice although I’m sure I heard it’s cheaper to buy in advance? If I’m wrong about that then I’ll be delighted….😬

No price difference in advance or onboard.  In advance you will get your Peninsular club discount off the full price.  Onboard you can use your OBC, and after that your Peninsular club discount kicks in for the balance..

• Thanks 1

It’s a very personal decision, for me it’s not about the value, I can see how easy it is for all drinks throughout a day to equal more than £40 a day.  However, on P&O I would never buy the drinks package. 

With a limit of £6.95 per drink, and further restrictions it just isn’t something that would work for us. 
when it comes to soft drinks I prefer the bottle, canned, varieties rather than the fountain drinks.  With my Gin I prefer a fever tree tonic. In the Glass house I like a Peller Ice Cuvee, or a Whispering Angel/Miraval Rose, none of which is included in the package. 

So you have to think about what your usual drinks orders are to decide if it is worth it for you. 

• Like 2

I might buy it on our Arvia cruise Sep 23 when I'll have £920 OBC. This will depend on whether they will honour their Email stating my wife can purchase the non alcohol package because she doesn't drink (medication). If I buy on the second day it will be approx. £780, so it is their money.

• Like 2

It is just too expensive for me at £40 per day. On my last Iona cruise I had £200 OBC and the drinks bill was about £160. I am hoping to go on a 7 night cruise on Marella next month. Standard package included and the superior package is £60 per week. For that you get almost everything except bottles of wine. There are 10 different gins including Fever Tree tonics, also 13 different whiskies. Spirit measures are 40ml too. Lavazza Coffee as well. P&O have a better beer selection though, especially bottles.

• Like 1

We too enjoy a beer/wine or two however we could not justify £80 a day however it does set some a challenge to max it out! on the other hand we do take a bottle of gin on board for cabin pre dinner drinks and balcony relax time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

It’s a very personal decision, for me it’s not about the value, I can see how easy it is for all drinks throughout a day to equal more than £40 a day.  However, on P&O I would never buy the drinks package. 

With a limit of £6.95 per drink, and further restrictions it just isn’t something that would work for us. 
when it comes to soft drinks I prefer the bottle, canned, varieties rather than the fountain drinks.  With my Gin I prefer a fever tree tonic. In the Glass house I like a Peller Ice Cuvee, or a Whispering Angel/Miraval Rose, none of which is included in the package. 

So you have to think about what your usual drinks orders are to decide if it is worth it for you. 

It seems we have similar drink taste! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

A Bombay gin and Fever tree tonic is £6.80, surely that is included ?

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

A Bombay gin and Fever tree tonic is £6.80, surely that is included ?

Nope, it’s not.  Fever Tree comes under premium bottled. So you can buy it with a 20% discount, but not have it included. 

covered in the terms and conditions.

What is Included
• The Ultimate drinks package is £39.95 per person, per day and includes an incredible array of beers, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs and wines by the glass retailing up to £6.95 per serving as listed on our menus, subject to availability. Spirits will be served in single measures only with a draught soda or long life juice mixer.
• The package includes bottled water (500ml only), draught soft drinks, long life juices, primo Costa coffees, teas, hot chocolates, non- alcoholic cocktails.
• In addition, the Ultimate drinks package provides a 20% discount on the following excluded items: any drinks retailing above £6.95, all bottles of wine, large bottles of water, canned or bottled premium soft drinks or juices and smoothies.
• Loyalty discount will be applied when purchasing the Ultimate drinks package.

6 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Nope, it’s not.  Fever Tree comes under premium bottled. So you can buy it with a 20% discount, but not have it included. 

covered in the terms and conditions.

What is Included
• The Ultimate drinks package is £39.95 per person, per day and includes an incredible array of beers, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs and wines by the glass retailing up to £6.95 per serving as listed on our menus, subject to availability. Spirits will be served in single measures only with a draught soda or long life juice mixer.
• The package includes bottled water (500ml only), draught soft drinks, long life juices, primo Costa coffees, teas, hot chocolates, non- alcoholic cocktails.
• In addition, the Ultimate drinks package provides a 20% discount on the following excluded items: any drinks retailing above £6.95, all bottles of wine, large bottles of water, canned or bottled premium soft drinks or juices and smoothies.
• Loyalty discount will be applied when purchasing the Ultimate drinks package.

Thanks. That will be a deal breaker, I don't want fountain tonic in my G&T. Pay as you go will be the way for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Thanks. That will be a deal breaker, I don't want fountain tonic in my G&T. Pay as you go will be the way for me.

People often miss the terms and conditions 😏 when I was last on Britannia I saw they were using Schweppes/Britvic small cans of tonic, within the package, so might be some leeway at some bars.  
No exception for Fever Tree though. 

9 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

People often miss the terms and conditions 😏 when I was last on Britannia I saw they were using Schweppes/Britvic small cans of tonic, within the package, so might be some leeway at some bars.  
No exception for Fever Tree though. 

Since Fever Tree came on the scene I won't drink anything else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Don't you just love a neat spread sheet, especially with highlighted cells !

Bravo Vamps.

hahaha it’s cos I took all my other expenses out so now it’s all yellow. As I track the extra restaurants and shuttles etc. slightly obsessed with spreadsheets.