Cruise with Confidence??

sazoca

With all the recent changes,  especially what's changed on the Healthy at Sea page,  if one was to get covid a day or 2 before their sailing,  would Celebrity still allow them a cancelation/refund?

Let's say having booked that cruise in 2021, nearly a year ago,  under the Cruise with Confidence policy.  I realize travel insurance could come into play,  but curious as to Celebrity's direct response. Thanks in advance. 

19 hours ago, 39august said:

It's that Nov. 30 date that is most important, I think.  Thanks for posting, Jelayne. I thought I knew the date, but you have confirmed it. 

And my upcoming cruise is December 3.  Ugh!  Wish they had extended it just a bit longer.

To be clear we are not talking about Cruise with Confidence when talking about canceling due to testing positive for covid.   It's the covid19 policy that @jelayne posted.  Why do you think the cruise lines are trying to get testing eliminated, so they don't have to provide these refunds.

You need a travel insurance policy that covers covid as any other illness.  I think there will be quite a few people who learn the insurance lesson the hard way.  

Self insuring is an option.   For cancellation I depend on my Chase Sapphire Reserve coverage on average trips.   For medical I carry an annual GeoBlue policy.  For more distant sailings to SA/Europe I will have Medjet for evac if hospitalized.

22 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Self insuring is an option.   For cancellation I depend on my Chase Sapphire Reserve coverage on average trips.   For medical I carry an annual GeoBlue policy.  For more distant sailings to SA/Europe I will have Medjet for evac if hospitalized.

For some it is. I worked 30+ years for an insurance company and believe me they make a lot of money from people buying insurance they don't really need, or more than they need. People need to evaluate if it's right for them and not just purchase blindly. 

It really is about evaluating your risk tolerance.  The problem is I believe most people think that it won't happen to them or someone else will take care of it.   With covid the cruise line has been accepting all the risk.  They tried to minimize their risk with their covid protocols.   Now that those protocols are all but gone they are not going to assume that risk anymore.

I think many people are going to be surprised when they find they are covid positive a few days before the sailing and call Celebrity for a refund and they are told to contact their insurance company as they are in the 100% penalty period.   Of course most of those people will then just travel anyway.

Does someone know what Celebrity means when they say "you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Celebrity"?  In other words, do you have to have a proctored test result come back positive or can it be one you do on your own?  And what's the correct way to present this to Celebrity?  

No experience but I would think it have to be the results of a proctored test.  
If it was a DYI test there wouldn’t  be any way for Celebrity to know that it was your test vs  you just changed your mind and want a refund. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

It really is about evaluating your risk tolerance.  The problem is I believe most people think that it won't happen to them or someone else will take care of it.   With covid the cruise line has been accepting all the risk.  They tried to minimize their risk with their covid protocols.   Now that those protocols are all but gone they are not going to assume that risk anymore.

I think many people are going to be surprised when they find they are covid positive a few days before the sailing and call Celebrity for a refund and they are told to contact their insurance company as they are in the 100% penalty period.   Of course most of those people will then just travel anyway.

Unless I’m really feeling bad, with no required testing now I will not even know if I’m positive or not as I will not be testing. Haven’t for 2 1/2 years now as I’ve felt fine . Only tested for my 3/26 cruise. 

36 minutes ago, jelayne said:

No experience but I would think it have to be the results of a proctored test.  
If it was a DYI test there wouldn’t  be any way for Celebrity to know that it was your test vs  you just changed your mind and want a refund. 

I would assume you'd need a proctored result also, but wonder what would be the preferred way of letting Celebrity know?  Seems like you can wait literally hours to speak with someone if you call these days but not sure if there's really any other option to let them know.  Just wondering since we will be testing within a couple of hours of getting on a plane to fly to Italy and don't want to be scrambling to figure out what to do if, for some reason, one of us pops up positive.  

Always have travel insurance.

Last year a relative was taken unwell while abroad. Seriously unwell & thankfully had ticked travel insurance through his health insurance provider. He was in hospital in Europe for 6 weeks & brought back to U.K. by air ambulance. Another 6 weeks in hospital in U.K. 

Earlier This year said relative deteriorated to such a degree that we as family cancelled our land holiday in Europe. We are still trying to recoup that from travel insurers but hopefully we will. 

So lesson learned. I’d rather overpay a few hundred £££ for travel insurance than lose several thousand £££ by not taking it out.