NOVO

Catz24031

1 hour ago, Catz24031 said:

Has Novo been eradicated now on ships as all posts seem to be about catching COVID on board.

Just curious.

I am assuming you mean norovirus. If so you will never eradicate that and is a common occurrence where large groups congregate i.e. hospitals, schools and cruise ships to name a fewl As long as you have people with filthy habits of not washing their hands properly after visiting the toilet, or even at all, and mauling foods like the buffet it will rear its ugly head on a regular basis.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am assuming you mean norovirus. If so you will never eradicate that and is a common occurrence where large groups congregate i.e. hospitals, schools and cruise ships to name a fewl As long as you have people with filthy habits of not washing their hands properly after visiting the toilet, or even at all, and mauling foods like the buffet it will rear its ugly head on a regular basis.

It’s still around, at least on land, my brother’s business had to deep clean a health facility only a few weeks ago, the only way to get rid the virus which can survive on surfaces for up to 12 days. He often said to me that a cruise ship needs deep cleaning after an outbreak, no way can they eradicate and let passengers back on ship for a new cruise the same day. Oh and alcohol based hand sanitisers don’t work on Norovirus, only thorough hand washing with soap is effective. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

+1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

It’s still around, at least on land, my brother’s business had to deep clean a health facility only a few weeks ago, the only way to get rid the virus which can survive on surfaces for up to 12 days. He often said to me that a cruise ship needs deep cleaning after an outbreak, no way can they eradicate and let passengers back on ship for a new cruise the same day. Oh and alcohol based hand sanitisers don’t work on Norovirus, only thorough hand washing with soap is effective. 

I agree the alcohol sanitisers do not work, but the foams do.  I am pretty sure they are bleach based.

11 hours ago, tring said:

I agree the alcohol sanitisers do not work, but the foams do.  I am pretty sure they are bleach based.

Boots do one: https://www.boots.com/boots-anti-viral-hand-foam-50ml-10278907 however, it appears to be out of stock for online orders.

I always use it and have never caught noro, despite cruising a lot in the winter, sometimes on Fred Olsen, who seem to get more than their fair share of outbreaks. May or may not be luck, of course.

ETA: Ignore me, I'm talking rubbish (nothing new there, then😂). Scroll down a bit and the larger size is available, plus some suggested alternative products in smaller sizes.

Edited by AnnieC
Too lazy to scroll down...

38 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Boots do one: https://www.boots.com/boots-anti-viral-hand-foam-50ml-10278907 however, it appears to be out of stock for online orders.

I always use it and have never caught noro, despite cruising a lot in the winter, sometimes on Fred Olsen, who seem to get more than their fair share of outbreaks. May or may not be luck, of course.

ETA: Ignore me, I'm talking rubbish (nothing new there, then😂). Scroll down a bit and the larger size is available, plus some suggested alternative products in smaller sizes.

Actually I had not seen any more outbreaks on Fred compared to other cruise lines.  In fact the foam is available to use on Fred's ships, though I do not know if it is available on the P&O ships as we have not been on one since summer 2019.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tring said:

Actually I had not seen any more outbreaks on Fred compared to other cruise lines.  In fact the foam is available to use on Fred's ships, though I do not know if it is available on the P&O ships as we have not been on one since summer 2019.

It's an oft repeated perception about Noro on Fred's ships - I have no idea of its veracity. There was a huge outbreak when I was on Balmoral a few years ago, but that doesn't exactly prove anything.

• Like 1

I have cruised at least once a year (often two or three times, apart from lockdown) for 20 years, and have never had any tummy trouble (other than self inflicted). Soap and water is much more efficient than any sanitisers, but often use both.

Edited by FangedRose
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Just wash with hot soap and water, open toilet doors with paper towel as you leave, and keep away from any self service buffet, if those ever 're appear.

Self service buffets are already here!

• Like 1