Flat iron for hair allowed?

neeuqdrazil

I tried searching the forum, as well as the FAQs on Cunard.com (for both flat iron and curling iron), but wasn't able to find anything. 

I have a vague memory of the FAQ previously indicating that 'hair appliances' were allowed (barring hairdryers), but I can't find anything on their site now, except for a single mention in the Passage Contract that Cunard won't be responsible for loss of a huge list of items, which includes 'hair appliances'. 

Has anyone taken a curling iron or flat iron on board recently, or alternately had them confiscated? 

From the FAQ on Cunard's website:

Items not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothes irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/frequently-asked-questions.All.FAQ491.summary

That doesn't mention hair dryers or hair irons. However I did find the following through Google (however I don't know how old the article is)

Passengers are not permitted to bring on board irons, kettles or appliances with heating elements, however hair dryers, straighteners and curling tongs are permitted.

https://my.cunard.com/en-gb/mycruise/articles/warnings?otprrf=1

I also found this: (I thought you could take extension leads. We always have done).

We also ask that you don’t bring extension leads with you, unless they are accompanying essential medical equipment, such as CPAP and nebuliser machines. These will be checked for electrical safety along with your medical equipment prior to sailing. Surge-protected extension leads are not accepted in any circumstances, as they interfere with the ship's electrical distribution.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

• 9 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 12:19 AM, Ray66 said:

From the FAQ on Cunard's website:

Items not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothes irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/frequently-asked-questions.All.FAQ491.summary

That doesn't mention hair dryers or hair irons. However I did find the following through Google (however I don't know how old the article is)

Passengers are not permitted to bring on board irons, kettles or appliances with heating elements, however hair dryers, straighteners and curling tongs are permitted.

Ok, so.... when we read the Cunard part of the above , we understood no hair dryers or straighteners or curling irons....

Not sure I trust Google on this, because the Cunard rules say 

containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to

which we understood means other appliances that have a heating element are also included in the list?

I thought hair dryers, straighteners & curling irons  all have heating elements?

My daughter was disappointed  about not being able to bring hair dryer, she has a Dyson that changed her life (she has a mane of very long curly hair) we have a GHD straightener/flat iron which we use from time to time, and would love to have it on board, but we understood that was not allowed after reading the description  in the site...

I thought it would be to do with the `amount of electricity needed for appliances like that? or the kind of system used in a ship, as they also mention no extension leads....

I honestly thought straighteners also have a heating element?

May give Cunard a call to be completely sure 🙂

1 minute ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Ok, so.... when we read the Cunard part of the above , we understood no hair dryers or straighteners or curling irons....

Not sure I trust Google on this, because the Cunard rules say 

containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to

which we understood means other appliances that have a heating element are also included in the list?

I thought hair dryers, straighteners & curling irons  all have heating elements?

My daughter was disappointed  about not being able to bring hair dryer, she has a Dyson that changed her life (she has a mane of very long curly hair) we have a GHD straightener/flat iron which we use from time to time, and would love to have it on board, but we understood that was not allowed after reading the description  in the site...

I thought it would be to do with the `amount of electricity needed for appliances like that? or the kind of system used in a ship, as they also mention no extension leads....

I honestly thought straighteners also have a heating element?

May give Cunard a call to be completely sure 🙂

I never travel without my GHDs. No problem using them onboard at all.

I know folk take hairdryers too.

• Like 2

I knew I'd seen this somewhere.

Before you sail

Look at 'Safety Onboard' and you'll see

Use of electrical appliances

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I knew I'd seen this somewhere.

Before you sail

Look at 'Safety Onboard' and you'll see

Use of electrical appliances

Oh I love YOU!!!!!!! I spoke to my daughter about you (read some threads and pointed out at some of your posts) her comment : I think we may meet some very cool people in the cruise-

she now will love you even more!!!!!!!!!! she even contemplated bringing a sieve (food kindLOL) to use with the ship's hair dryer. She will be very happy and if I can have my GHD , Gala Night will be straight hair!!! Thanks once again!!!!!

Edited by MrsPeel55
typos!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MrsPeel55 - I’ve got my Dyson hairdryer with me on QV now and can report that it works as well as it does at home. I’m not sure which ship you’re going to be on but UK plug sockets are few and far between in the cabins. On QV, there is one at the desk/dressing table with mirror in Britannia cabins but the Dyson plug is too big to fit, so I’m using it plugged into an extension lead. It’s the same issue with a lot of chargers too.  We also bring an extension lead & have never had any problems bringing it on board. I’m sure we aren’t the only people who do and clearly from the info Ray66 posted above, extension leads are not actually on the list of outright prohibited items. We wouldn’t bring one if we didn’t need to - we have never mastered the art of packing lightly - and don’t leave anything charging when we are away - but without one, I think the only other UK socket might be behind the bedside table, which you’d need to move each time you wanted to use it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

Would it be safe to assume that hair curlers with their heating pod (don’t know the proper term) are also okay? (DW likes to take them along.)

Read post #10 re curling tongs.🙂

I know they're not curling tongs but they aren't listed as prohibited.

Edited by Victoria2

1 hour ago, Kynance said:

@MrsPeel55 - I’ve got my Dyson hairdryer with me on QV now and can report that it works as well as it does at home. I’m not sure which ship you’re going to be on but UK plug sockets are few and far between in the cabins. On QV, there is one at the desk/dressing table with mirror in Britannia cabins but the Dyson plug is too big to fit, so I’m using it plugged into an extension lead. It’s the same issue with a lot of chargers too.  We also bring an extension lead & have never had any problems bringing it on board. I’m sure we aren’t the only people who do and clearly from the info Ray66 posted above, extension leads are not actually on the list of outright prohibited items. We wouldn’t bring one if we didn’t need to - we have never mastered the art of packing lightly - and don’t leave anything charging when we are away - but without one, I think the only other UK socket might be behind the bedside table, which you’d need to move each time you wanted to use it.

We don't take leads with us as we follow the guidelines

We also ask that you don’t bring extension leads with you, unless they are accompanying essential medical equipment, such as CPAP and nebuliser machines. These will be checked for electrical safety along with your medical equipment prior to sailing. Surge-protected extension leads are not accepted in any circumstances, as they interfere with the ship's electrical distribution.

but we have great adapters which cope with every eventuality, plug wise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Oh I love YOU!!!!!!! I spoke to my daughter about you (read some threads and pointed out at some of your posts) her comment : I think we may meet some very cool people in the cruise-

she now will love you even more!!!!!!!!!! she even contemplated bringing a sieve (food kindLOL) to use with the ship's hair dryer. She will be very happy and if I can have my GHD , Gala Night will be straight hair!!! Thanks once again!!!!!

Very kind.

You would be welcome to share our fridge fairy offerings if we were ever on the same itinerary. That would be Victoria and Anne, as all our bookings stand. Never QM2.🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kynance said:

@Kynance Thanks 

We read the guidelines that @Victoria2 points out, as soon as we paid the deposit, but we wouldn't be taking any extensions anyway as, travelling for many many years all over Europe, Middle East and South America, the most practical thing is an adapter, 

unless this is what you mean by extension lead? 

As you are talking about not being many UK plugs, I reckon you maybe talking about adapters?

we have many that fit all South American plugs, one that fits European, 

what we never had was an adaptor that had USB plugs, which we bought for our upcoming trip on the Queen Victoria after chatting with some of you guys here who are experienced Cunarders.

it is a cube that has different plugs which will plug into all types of world sockets, but also have USB ports... this is the adaptor

image.png.07a7905dcf019817ff60fa5b5a959db3.png

To me, an extension lead would be this (which wont solve the issue as is UK wall extended into many other UK plugs)

image.png.5ff0094324ee2fea7616bbfac19ddf2f.png

I think you maybe talking about adapters....?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Very kind.

You would be welcome to share our fridge fairy offerings if we were ever on the same itinerary. That would be Victoria and Anne, as all our bookings stand. Never QM2.🙂

@Victoria2

Ohhh LOVE Fridge Fairies!!!!!!!!!! ❤️

I reckon the first time we got interested in Cunard was actually the QM2, because of our interest in the Queen Mary (the one that now is docked in California, my husband always complained that she should be here, in the UK)) but the trips that really called our attention are mostly on Queen Victoria 🙂  

We will be in West Med for a week from 08th Sept boarding in Rome. is my 65th birthday a bit before that, my daughter jokes I will be officially old (retirement age in the UK (at least for now?) so we will celebrating Cunard style 🙂

Hope to be making other journeys too, I have been told here that you get OBC when booking onboard so we decided to make it an adventure to select next trip on board (subjected to experience but, judging by what I have been seeing here, more than likely will be others)

would absolutely LOVE to meet you in person!

Wherever you are in the UK, if you are ever in London, give us a shout, there is always a fridge full in our place!!!! ❤️

@exlondoner

oh my.... I guess they need to make people work more so MPs can keep charging ridiculous "expenses" on tax payers money..... and that applies to ALL kinds of political party (just in case anyone takes it as an opinion taking sides)  I have seen political figures that started as the most honest, fabulous men you can think of, turning into nepotists, greedy and stealing from the pot.....

but lets not get into this kind of discussion,

doubt the age change will stop my daughter's jokes!!! 

I have to add, on a more serious note, she is a marvellous 27 years old, accomplished in studies and a hard worker, and the one who keeps telling me her friends can't believe I am the age I am (I reckon that maybe because I'm petite and love colourful clothing!) and cheers me up when I keep going on about how bad I look these days.... 

When deciding on the cruise line to book this trip, she was extremely keen on Cunard over others, she had the experience of cruising and land to The Canaries with friends which was the drinking and party full time, says never again, she is of the opinion that if the trip doesn't have any cultural interest at all, she rather choose something else.

I think I read here in some thread about the dress code where someone said something about Cunard relaxing the dress code to attract younger people who just want to get drunk and party  -and someone else said that was Virgin cruises?-  my memory is really bad and I have some neurological issues that make my brain scramble words after reading long paragraphs, or I would go back in search of that thread, but rather concentrate on the good side of things-

I can say with complete confidence, knowing most of my daughter's friends, and having a very big family with lots of teens, 20s 30s and 40s, there is a good chunk of the young population that do not fit the drinking and partying type.... I think most of that type would choose something considerably cheaper too .... but that is my view of the world, far from imposing my truth as the universal one 🙂

41 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

@exlondoner

oh my.... I guess they need to make people work more so MPs can keep charging ridiculous "expenses" on tax payers money..... and that applies to ALL kinds of political party (just in case anyone takes it as an opinion taking sides)  I have seen political figures that started as the most honest, fabulous men you can think of, turning into nepotists, greedy and stealing from the pot.....

but lets not get into this kind of discussion,

doubt the age change will stop my daughter's jokes!!! 🙂

Not a discussion, but another matter of fact. Raising the state pension in line with inflation is undoubtedly a far greater drain on the Exchequer than MPs not particularly high salaries or expenses claims.

56 minutes ago, techteach said:

@rmsEtruria I took my travel size electric rollers with me on QM2 without a problem. I would have been a mess if they had been confiscated!

5 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

'''I think you maybe talking about adapters....?

Our next cruise is also an aft reconfigured cabin, and I will go doubly prepared with different adapters.

There were loads of usb charging points [great] around the cabin which negated the need for my multi usb plug adapter, but only one UK three pin plug socket and that I only found after a week! Should have asked but didn't.

Plenty of US 2 prong efforts though which needed some wellie when trying to plug in my universal adapters so next time I'm going prepared  with actual single adapter plugs.

2 hours ago, techteach said:

@rmsEtruria I took my travel size electric rollers with me on QM2 without a problem. I would have been a mess if they had been confiscated!

Thanks! I’ll give DW the good news (and I take it “rollers” is the correct term, not “curlers”  . . .).