NCL Joy or NCL Escape

lfdemt

Hello, we are currently booked on the Joy for a week during spring break.  We have 4 kids traveling with us ages 9,10,13,16.  I am really thinking of switching to the Escape for the same time period.  Things I am worried about Joy is the pool situation seems small and crowded.  While go karts sound fun, at $15 a person a race, that is a one and done kinda of thing and that track takes away a lot of deck space.  My son would miss the sport court.  Is there enough to keep the kids busy on sea days that isn't going to cost me a ton of money??  

For the itinerary is Harvest Caye better than Great Stirrup Cay? is the beverage package available for use on either? Is Miami or Orlando better to sail out of? 

My family of 5 is currently booked in the family inside suite on the Joy, we could save some money by switching to two balcony on the Escape. 

Any advice on which ship you would pick would be appreciated. 

Thanks

12 minutes ago, lfdemt said:

For the itinerary is Harvest Caye better than Great Stirrup Cay? is the beverage package available for use on either?

Harvest Caye is a pseudo-private island.  It's an exclusive destination for NCLH BUT it's run by locals and does not have NCL-run facilities on it.  As such, at least the drinks on the island are NOT included in your drink package.  T&C's of the drink package actually mention this.

'Offer is not applicable at Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues'

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

I've been on the Joy, it's a really nice ship.  I'm considering that same Escape cruise (maybe not the same dates but the same itinerary) for my next one.  You know better what your children will enjoy.

Edited by hallux

5 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Is this stated on their website? Thanks 

Yes.   It's clearly stated in the beverage package Terms and Conditions...

"Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay."

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, lfdemt said:

Things I am worried about Joy is the pool situation seems small and crowded.  While go karts sound fun, at $15 a person a race, that is a one and done kinda of thing and that track takes away a lot of deck space.  My son would miss the sport court.  Is there enough to keep the kids busy on sea days that isn't going to cost me a ton of money??  

Second question first, Yes, there's plenty for the kids to do to keep them busy.  However, the Joy was built with for the Asian market (why the pool area is smaller) and most western amenities were kind of crammed in during the retrofit, especially the kid club areas.  The Entourage (teen club) area was put in a tiny corner that completely feels like an afterthought.

Since your concerns are 1. small crowded pool, 2. one time karts w/ fee, 3. no sports court,  NOT going with the Joy sounds like a better fit.  They Joy did have Laser Tag  and the virtual reality pavilion (both with fee).  But even on the Joy, the kids will enjoy the waterslides, ping pong, and other free things along with the kids club activities.

Edited by n4w
  • Like 1

We've been on both! Definitely more things to do on the Escape - slides, pools, ropes course! We LOVE that ship! Our kids still talk about how they loved the ropes course and did it almost everyday! We also splurged for the Vibe and it was sooooooo worth it! 

Personally, nothing beats sailing out of Miami. I really don't like Port Canaveral because there's just not much to do and if you do stay in Orlando to be closer to things, then you are over an hour to the port.

Great Stirrup Cay is awesome! Drink package definitely is included there so drink up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is Miami or Orlando better to sail out of? 

MIA to Port of Miami is 15 min

MCO to Port Canaveral is 45 min

My first cruise in 2014 was out of Miami, don't remember it being difficult at all; but it was a long time ago and it was full of firsts so I don't remember any specifics.

I'm cruising out of Orlando for the first time in 45 days; more logistics/costs pertaining to the additional transport distance.

• Thanks 1

For the itinerary is Harvest Caye better than Great Stirrup Cay?

Harvest Caye was fun in 2014, will be going to GSC for the first time.  From what I understand, feels like there's always a 50% chance GSC will be cancelled due to tendering/rough seas issues.  I've not heard of Harvest Caye cancellations.

1 hour ago, n4w said:

Harvest Caye was fun in 2014, will be going to GSC for the first time.  From what I understand, feels like there's always a 50% chance GSC will be cancelled due to tendering/rough seas issues.  I've not heard of Harvest Caye cancellations.

We were there last week! Loved the pool!

• Like 2

If you are looking for a great beach day, Harvest Caye is a much better day than GSC in our opinion.    No waiting for tenders and the pool is great.    It's also relatively easy to walk back to the ship for food/drinks whenever you are ready.

• Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone that has responded.  Ugh I am now even more confused.  It sounds like the Escape is the better ship for my family but now I am torn on ports.  GSC sounds good with the included food and beverages but tender means possibly missing port and waiting on tenders.  Harvest Caye sounds better but additional costs of food and drinks.  So torn...

Any thoughts on whether Roatan, Cozumel and costa Maya are better than Puerta Plata, Tortola and St. Thomas?? 

Cozumel would probably just be a beach resort for us,  We did the ruins at Costa Maya last time we were there.  Never been to  Roatan.

Never been to Puerta Plata.  Last time in Tortola we did a dophin meet but our youngest was too young and doesn't even remember it.  and I Think we did an island tour in St. Thomas. (with overlooking views of Magen bay???)

I never realized how wishy washy I was before this trip.  lol

1 hour ago, lfdemt said:

Thank you to everyone that has responded.  Ugh I am now even more confused.  It sounds like the Escape is the better ship for my family but now I am torn on ports.  GSC sounds good with the included food and beverages but tender means possibly missing port and waiting on tenders.  Harvest Caye sounds better but additional costs of food and drinks.  So torn...

Any thoughts on whether Roatan, Cozumel and costa Maya are better than Puerta Plata, Tortola and St. Thomas?? 

Cozumel would probably just be a beach resort for us,  We did the ruins at Costa Maya last time we were there.  Never been to  Roatan.

Never been to Puerta Plata.  Last time in Tortola we did a dophin meet but our youngest was too young and doesn't even remember it.  and I Think we did an island tour in St. Thomas. (with overlooking views of Magen bay???)

We’ve been on the Escape before and love it. Have a trip booked on the Joy for our next cruise. As far as ports go, we have done Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel quite a few times and always loved them. Roatan and Cozumel we do something different each time. In Costa Maya we always go to Maya Chan Beach Resort for the day. It is awesome! Highly recommend it for the family. It’s all inclusive (including transportation from the ship) and lots to do for all ages! If I were you, I’d do a tour of Cozumel (try Black Hat Tours, they’re great) and have the beach day in Costa Maya. 
We’ve been to Tortola three times. Yeah, it was nice but not great IMHO so the third time we never got off the ship. We’ve never been to Puerta Plata. As far as St. Thomas, we’ve been there many times and it’s great but I would prefer the other options. 

8 hours ago, lfdemt said:

Harvest Caye does not have to be as much of a problem as many make it seem.  You have the opportunity to return to the ship to eat, and then return to the island.  Many people complain about it being "way too long of a walk."  Yet, the island is not very big!!! However, if you go to a water park/amusement park in the US, aren't you and your family walking some long distances throughout the day?  Also, there are a few benches along the way.

Overall, Harvest Caye is worth a visit!  The grounds are lovely.  There are nice exhibits and shaded areas to rest.  The pool is wonderful and the beach is nice (sometimes depends in recent weather).

• Like 1