MDR Seating

Karen450

This is my very first post, although I have been a long time reader.  My DH and I have been on several Celebrity cruises, and I don’t recall this topic being brought up.  We are anytime dining, we do not have elite status,  we request a table for two, and we sail regular veranda or Concierge.  It appears to us, even though we dine at different times, hence the “anytime,” we are always placed at or near the same table we are given on the first night.  To the point where once we were seated next to the kitchen door, and after the third night of being seated there again, we could see there was a definite pattern, and requested to see the Maitre ‘D to be reseated.  Other times we are given a buzzer to come back 10 to 30 minutes later, and low and behold, we are seated at practically the same table.  This is not a problem most times, but not all locations are created equal. And while I am happy to share the burden of a poorly located table - next to kitchen, next to clean up/staging area - with my fellow passengers for a night or two, I do not wish it to define my entire dining experience.  So what am I missing? I know we give our room number upon check in.  Does that somehow signal something to the host?  Once in a while I would love to have one of those tables by the window. 🙏 Thank you in advance for you input and suggestions. 

8 minutes ago, Karen450 said:

This is my very first post, although I have been a long time reader.  My DH and I have been on several Celebrity cruises, and I don’t recall this topic being brought up.  We are anytime dining, we do not have elite status,  we request a table for two, and we sail regular veranda or Concierge.  It appears to us, even though we dine at different times, hence the “anytime,” we are always placed at or near the same table we are given on the first night.  To the point where once we were seated next to the kitchen door, and after the third night of being seated there again, we could see there was a definite pattern, and requested to see the Maitre ‘D to be reseated.  Other times we are given a buzzer to come back 10 to 30 minutes later, and low and behold, we are seated at practically the same table.  This is not a problem most times, but not all locations are created equal. And while I am happy to share the burden of a poorly located table - next to kitchen, next to clean up/staging area - with my fellow passengers for a night or two, I do not wish it to define my entire dining experience.  So what am I missing? I know we give our room number upon check in.  Does that somehow signal something to the host?  Once in a while I would love to have one of those tables by the window. 🙏 Thank you in advance for you input and suggestions. 

We do Select Dining. I pre-book our reservation times for each evening in my CP when I first book the cruises. When we first board the ship we go directly to the MDR and check out tables we like. Then we immediately go speak with the Maite D at the podium (MDR) and request a table number and it's location. We have always been accommodated and had the same table for the entire cruise. On B2B cruises the Maite D will stop by a day or two before the end of the first leg and ask us if we would like the same table for the second leg. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 5

Many like to have the same wait staff every night and seating people at or near the same table every night accomplishes that.  
If you are taken to a table that you don’t like you can either declined and ask for another area, which may require if a wait.  Or you can take the table that night but on the way out of the dining room tell the host/hostess that you did not care for that location and would like to be seated  _________.

• Like 3

We always choose Select Dining and pre-book our prefered dining time in a coordination with our plans for the day.  When checking in with the host/ess we request a window table if available.  If we didn't enjoy the previous night's location we ask for a different one.  Sometimes there is a bit of a wait time for a specific table or area and you may get a pager to notify you when your table is ready, but it's never too long to wait.  The staff is alway very accomodating and once we find a table we like we usually end up sitting in the same area each night for the benefit of the same wait staff. 

• Like 1

As others have said, all you need to do is speak up and they will do what they can to accomodate you.  It may on occasion require a bit longer wait time, but they will get you where you want to be.  If you like that table/place after dining there just let them know and they will try to get you there for future dinners.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Karen450 said:

These are great suggestions.  Thank you.  My next cruise is on the Edge, with multiple dining rooms.  Have fellow cruisers had similar success with table requests? 

We had the same experience on Edge is September 2021, very accomodating staff in all four MDR.

I am always seated in the same area, due to the fact that I am Dairy intolerant and the same wait staff know my needs. 
It is easier than having to explain multiple times.

I didn’t realise that other diners were also seated in the same area every night.

I have usually ended up being seated in the same area each night, which is OK if I like the area. I once tried to see if I would get a different area by entering by the opposite door - but still ended up being walked all around to the same place again. If I am given a pager I am wondering if I have to wait until somewhere in that same area is free, even if tables are available elsewhere in other areas?? 

After reading the responses on this thread I think I should discuss it more with the host / ess if I am not happy with the table I get.

It really is pretty simple. When you arrive next time, ask to be seated elsewhere. We were readily accommodated when we did so after experiencing a combo of crying children and a dish-stacking alcove for 2 straight nights. You might wait a bit.