Captain

Hill4963

12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Best I've ever known was Captain Box.  Marvellous commentaries whilst going up the Bosphorus and also into Venice.  Also, charming man to meet and chat to.

We actually had a captain on a plane called Captain Scarlet, also a Captain Dart.🤣

• Haha 2

It’s amazing how often P&O captains change. Every time I see a list of current captains there are always ones that I don’t recognise.

Our favourite Captain was Chris Wells, who moved to Cunard and finally became Commodore prior to retiring. Always informative announcements, did Q&A sessions with passengers, was very engaging when you saw him around the ship and always did an entertaining ‘ships horn competition’ when we passed any other cruise ships in ports!

I know that the Captains prime role is master of the vessel and all that entails, but as they aren’t required on the bridge 24/7 and are the most senior Carnival representative on board, it’s important that they add to the cruise experience as well IMHO. 

Talking of Cunard captains, I can’t remember the name of the chap we had on QM2 recently (an Asian gentleman from Leicester) but he ended every announcement with the one word sign off  “Captain”.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Best I've ever known was Captain Box.  Marvellous commentaries whilst going up the Bosphorus and also into Venice.  Also, charming man to meet and chat to.

I agree about David Box - he had a lovely speaking voice and did indeed give good commentaries.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

It’s amazing how often P&O captains change. Every time I see a list of current captains there are always ones that I don’t recognise.

Our favourite Captain was Chris Wells, who moved to Cunard and finally became Commodore prior to retiring. Always informative announcements, did Q&A sessions with passengers, was very engaging when you saw him around the ship and always did an entertaining ‘ships horn competition’ when we passed any other cruise ships in ports!

I know that the Captains prime role is master of the vessel and all that entails, but as they aren’t required on the bridge 24/7 and are the most senior Carnival representative on board, it’s important that they add to the cruise experience as well IMHO. 

Talking of Cunard captains, I can’t remember the name of the chap we had on QM2 recently (an Asian gentleman from Leicester) but he ended every announcement with the one word sign off  “Captain”.

That is probably Captain Hashmi. Currently QM2 Captain. We agree that it was a strange way to sign off announcements - as if reading a script and he kept forgetting to replace Captain with his name. We loved Captain Andrew Hall who is now also on QM2.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I agree about David Box - he had a lovely speaking voice and did indeed give good commentaries.

He is about the only one I can think of that actually enhanced our cruise with the commentaries.  Mostly the Captain makes no difference to our cruise at all.  As long as he is up there doing his job, I don't care who it is, as long as I don't have to have those repetitive "jokes"!😒

13 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Captain Angelo Vago used to end his announcements with just "Captain" as well. My hubby christened him Lewis Hamilton of the Seas because he used to like haring along as fast as he could go. He has retired now.

• Like 1

Looks like Russell Robson is at the helm for my cruise this year. A new name to me, so it will be interesting. Simon Love is the primary Captain for Aurora these days it seems. He did a great job on her last summer - especially the day we went nowhere mid-mediterranean when having to rescue some migrants from a broken down boat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I still don't get what difference the Captain makes?  I never even notice them, apart from Captain Box who was so interesting.  In all the cruises I have done, have hardly ever seen the Captain, let alone had anyone tell us anything interesting. 

I'm with you.  I've never been able to work out why some cruisers are fixated with who the Captain is.  I've never felt the urge on a train or an aeroplane to try to meet the driver / pilot and have an extremely cheesy photo taken with them or with a hotel manager, so why would I want to do that on a cruise ship?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Spot on.  As an ex Stewardess, hardly any passenger wanted to meet the Captain, although some did visit the Flight Deck in the days when security wasn't a problem.  I don't give a toss who the Captain is on the ship, as long as doesn't tell cheesy jokes every day for 19 days. 

I like to see the Captain around the ship and to have them stand and chat and just being about makes a difference. With Andy Willard the crew used to tell us how they loved being on the ship with their Captain as is was hands on and would visit them in the crew dining area every day and stop to chat to them. Happy and appreciated crew, happy ship.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

We have two Captains this year, Robert Camby and Paul Brown. Sailed with Paul Brown before but not Robert Camby.

We like Paul Brown he is a good Captain and his partner/married to Neil Oliver Entertainment Manager who we have got to know well over the years. We had Robert Camby on Oriana and better half didn't like him because he loves the sound of his own voice and thinks all the women think he is handsome.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I like to see the Captain around the ship and to have them stand and chat and just being about makes a difference. With Andy Willard the crew used to tell us how they loved being on the ship with their Captain as is was hands on and would visit them in the crew dining area every day and stop to chat to them. Happy and appreciated crew, happy ship.

He was involved in everything. Saw him in the pantomime and rollerblading down the quay at one stop. Most sociable captain. 

• Like 3

Of course Captains and senior officers have been scarce in their appearance around the ship is of course to reduce the risk of catching COVID and the risk that would entail. Hopefully things will improve and on our recent cruise on QM2 the Captain was seen around the ship and held cocktail parties and chatted to cruiser's. But no photos with the Captain or shaking of hands.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Of course Captains and senior officers have been scarce in their appearance around the ship is of course to reduce the risk of catching COVID and the risk that would entail. Hopefully things will improve and on our recent cruise on QM2 the Captain was seen around the ship and held cocktail parties and chatted to cruiser's. But no photos with the Captain or shaking of hands.

I totally get that but even the announcements last cruise lacked any real .. interest ! As dull as they come. 

• 6 months later...