Another select anytime dining question

Married90

4 hours ago, RTShaker said:

The original premise for anytime was that you didn't need to schedule every aspect of every day months in advance. You would enjoy your day and dine as you wished on that particular day. This takes away much of that spontenaety with so many spots reserved, but if one feels compelled to have a regimented day, so be it.

Your theory is great but the way the ship is organised makes it impractical. With 2 shows in the main theatre that automatically results in a large number of passengers wanting to eat at around the same time. When Select was introduced the bulk of the tables were still Set Dining now, at least on Silhouette, there are more allocated for Select. The current system works pretty well, noone is forced to pre book you have the choice which is exactly as it should be.

I remember Select dining working well when it was first implemented. I believe reservations were not possible then, or at least, not the norm. Now with so many reservations being made pre cruise it is basically impossible to just walk in, as was the original idea. On my next cruise there are no times (for reservations) available in Select between 6:30 and 8:15 in my planner. Do Celebrity only book out a percentage of tables to allow walk ins? If so, does anyone know what percentage that would be?

21 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I remember Select dining working well when it was first implemented. I believe reservations were not possible then, or at least, not the norm. Now with so many reservations being made pre cruise it is basically impossible to just walk in, as was the original idea. On my next cruise there are no times (for reservations) available in Select between 6:30 and 8:15 in my planner. Do Celebrity only book out a percentage of tables to allow walk ins? If so, does anyone know what percentage that would be?

No percentage that I know of. However, although you can pre book, the reservation system doesn't allow you to specify a table size. Therefore I can only assume it goes by total numbers not tables. We always share a table of 6. If you haven't pre-booked when you reach the check in desk if you make it clear you are happy to share that might reduce the wait time. Of course I am presuming you are happy to share which I appreciate not everyone is. For us sharing is a major part of the experience. 

12 hours ago, the penguins said:

Have never seen them operate that system on an S class ship. You can enter on either the port and starboard sides. On either side you can go direct to the deck - if it's not busy/no line you are allocated a table immediately. If it is busy and you don't have a reservation you will be asked to wait either by moving to the "wait" line or by taking a pager. 

We had reservations and were told to always go to the port side.  We heard them asking people without reservations to wait on the starboard side. We had asked for a table away from the crowds and were given the same one every night. It was beside the railing near the staircase in the dining room so we had a great view of upstairs and downstairs. They would fill-in deck 3 empty tables with anytime dining guests.

The OP is probably on board by now and will find out soon enough how the system works.  It is a beautiful sunny day here in Vancouver! Have a great cruise!

13 hours ago, laslomas said:

On my next cruise there are no times (for reservations) available in Select between 6:30 and 8:15 in my planner.

And my guess is that what that means is that if there were no reservations allowed, there would be a LOT of unhappy people having to wait. At least with being able to make reservations, if there are none available for your desired time, you know in advance you may need to plan on the buffet or specialty dining for that exact time for that night. Otherwise you're having to decide if the MDR is worth waiting for or if you want to do something else - which would likely be the buffet - spur of the moment.

On 8/26/2022 at 3:11 PM, Married90 said:

I just want to make sure with "anytime dining" it really means anytime during dinner hours and does NOT need to be the same time each night or making prior reservations.  I keep seeing threads on making reservations for a specific time every night.   I am used to NCL and just show up and ask for a nice table for 2 and typically get it with sometimes a short wait but often not.   Am I missing something?  Also We will be on the Eclipse Sunday.   ON the app it lists regular dining sessions on floor 3 of the MDR and select on Floor 4.   Is that correct?   Again I am used to NCL with multiple main dining rooms and having a selection....   

I've had to wait a LOT on Princess, but the wait is usually pretty short and 20 minutes doesn't bother me in the least. Princess MDR staff doesn't put top priority on getting patrons a cocktail or glass of wine within a minute or two of sitting down, so when I had a wait I would find some place to have a glass of wine or champagne, and when my buzzer went off I would arrive at my table drink in hand. Slow drink service problem solved!

• Like 1

We have never had a problem with Select Dining until our 8/19 Millennium cruise. No reservations were allowed onboard, and the lines were horrendous. Long waits every night, and pretty much whatever time we went from 5:30 to 7:30. First a line for a beeper, and a 45 minute wait for a table. The last Chic night, lined up at 6, over a 1 1/2 hour wait, couldn’t make the 9 pm show. One can only hope that staffing issues get straightened out. I don’t know if this is unique to the Millennium, but I am rethinking set dining times because Select isn’t working.

7 hours ago, tabby50894 said:

We have never had a problem with Select Dining until our 8/19 Millennium cruise. No reservations were allowed onboard, and the lines were horrendous. Long waits every night, and pretty much whatever time we went from 5:30 to 7:30. First a line for a beeper, and a 45 minute wait for a table. The last Chic night, lined up at 6, over a 1 1/2 hour wait, couldn’t make the 9 pm show. One can only hope that staffing issues get straightened out. I don’t know if this is unique to the Millennium, but I am rethinking set dining times because Select isn’t working.

Reserving a time once onboard has never been an official option - we have seen arguments on every cruise about this.

Pre booking is easy on line (ok a pain if you want to do lots of days as the details have to be inputted one day at a time,) and takes out all the hassel.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tabby50894 said:

We had the opposite experience.  8/12 Millennium.  Night one, Tuscan Grille. Night two & seven made reservations prior to sailing for 6:30. Other nights 5:30 ish, and were sat in our same area no real wait.  I feel your frustration.

Edited by Dancing Shoes

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Pre booking is easy on line (ok a pain if you want to do lots of days as the details have to be inputted one day at a time,) and takes out all the hassel.

Where in the cruise planner do you make MDR reservations? I've never done it before and I looked earlier today but couldn't find it.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, RTShaker said:

I also am confounded by all the people that want to make reservations. If you want a set time, then there are already two options for you. I have always felt that anytime means show up and get seated when you want to eat, but apparently I must be wrong.😁

You are absolutely correct, with the exception that there is a third (3rd) option, given the 'fixed' dining times are early and late, some like to dine in between and desire to make a standing reservation for that time or there abouts to insure we can be seated at the preferred time vs just showing up, which is always an option, of course...

bon appetit and bon voyage

On 8/27/2022 at 9:46 PM, RTShaker said:

It matters not what others do, but my point was that in my opinion there should be no reservations for any time dining. That's just how I roll.

Yet, it can also be "any time dining" by reservation!!!

2 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Go into your planner, and scroll all the way down, if I remember correctly.  You will go past excursions, and specialty dining.  I would look, but don't have select dining for my next cruise.

Found it. Thanks!

On 8/27/2022 at 8:46 PM, RTShaker said:

It matters not what others do, but my point was that in my opinion there should be no reservations for any time dining. That's just how I roll.

What about when you go out to eat at a restaurant at home.  You have the choice to make a reservation at the time you want (ie "my time") or simply show up and wait for a table.  That's the point of MTD.  It is for those that don't want to be stuck with only two seating times but want a variety of times to eat.  If you are really flexible and want a table "when available", just show up.  But if you want to pick a specific time (ie MY time), make a reservation.  You can just "roll" in when you want - me, I prefer to have a reservation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 5:27 PM, Bo1953 said:

You are absolutely correct, with the exception that there is a third (3rd) option, given the 'fixed' dining times are early and late, some like to dine in between and desire to make a standing reservation for that time or there abouts to insure we can be seated at the preferred time vs just showing up, which is always an option, of course...

Stated perfectly. We chose to make reservations at 6:30- in between early and late. The reason we make reservations is so we get the same table, same wait staff, etc every night. It’s nice to get to your table and your preferred drink is waiting for you and the servers know your likes and dislikes. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 4:25 PM, Married90 said:

Thanks Eclipse.   This is all common sense but with all the threads I was seeing about making specific reservations I was doubting myself ....

I think part of the confusion is you were inferring that the reservations had to be made for all nights at the same dining time. You could book a 6 o’clock reservation on night 2, a 8:00 for night 3, no reservation for night 5, and so forth. People make these reservations for reasons mentioned. For me, mostly it’s about there’s a show I want to see, and I'd want to be sure I can get in and out either before or after the show without being unable to get a table in time. That’s especially important these days because all ships are a bit understaffed and meal service can be slower than it was before the pandemic. Personally, I have never booked any reservations for the main dining room previously using select. But I probably will do so on my upcoming cruise in order to avoid missing theater times.