What do you think of the new Prima class dinner menu?

relmondcrsise

I was looking at the new Prima-class dinner menu tonight (I found all the Prima menus posted here: Prima Dining Menus).  I didn't think I would like having just one menu for an entire sailing, but this looks pretty good with a lot of nice selections.  And most of us would be dining at specialty restaurants for a few nights, so we would only be ordering off this menu 4-5 times.  I do wonder what the "signature taste" is.  Anyone know?  Curious to hear the experiences of those on the ship right now.  Anyone on and willing to share what they think and maybe post some photos?  Also curious how the new Mediterranean restaurant is.

Prima Dining Menus

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If they step up the quality, it might be OK.  But if it's the same chain restaurant quality meals we've been getting for years then I see this as something that will just force more Specialty Dining (which of course no doubt is there intent).

I really hope the "Signature Taste" is a nightly special.  

Glad the lava cake made the menu, now if we could only get them to do it like Carnival does 😉

• Like 1

I do not like the concept of one menu per week.  The choices for the week are considerably less than available now.  Assuming six different dinner entrees per night on a seven-day cruise, the current cruiser is given 42 entree choices during the week.  (There are actually more than different 42 choices as there are six “classic entrees” offered every night and this brings the total to 48.) The Prima menu, on the other hand, gives only eleven choices for the entire week.  Of the eleven choices, only five are appealing to me. Any way one looks at it, a significant reduction in choices cannot be considered a positive.  As I am not one to dine at specialty restaurants, this change is sufficiently negative to warrant a serious look at other comparable lines.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, looneyric said:

I read before the main dining rooms would have offerings from some of the specialties for an extra charge.  Could that be “signature taste”?  Interested to see what these offerings would be. 

That is also what I previously read.

I quite like the options, they are more appealing than what the dining room had before.  The only negative for me is the lack of chicken dishes. I seldom eat red meat so that is lacking, I do like the seafood options.  With all the dining choices now on the ship I don't think I will be in the dining room more than a night or 2. I also want to see the menus for the indulge food hall. I will be on the Prima in Feb. I am pretty excited for this new class and all the options.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lexxfield said:

I do not like the concept of one menu per week.  The choices for the week are considerably less than available now.  Assuming six different dinner entrees per night on a seven-day cruise, the current cruiser is given 42 entree choices during the week.  (There are actually more than different 42 choices as there are six “classic entrees” offered every night and this brings the total to 48.) The Prima menu, on the other hand, gives only eleven choices for the entire week.  Of the eleven choices, only five are appealing to me. Any way one looks at it, a significant reduction in choices cannot be considered a positive.  As I am not one to dine at specialty restaurants, this change is sufficiently negative to warrant a serious look at other comparable lines.

Only 5?  Expand that palette. They all sound great to me. I blame my Mom..she cooked it all…

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lexxfield said:

How do you get 11?  I see 3 meatless, 5 seafood and 6 meat.  Then there are enough pasta choices to arguably count as another 2 and finally the signature item, so that makes 17.  I could easily make a meal just out of the small bites and salads also.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, saltsandknit said:

I quite like the options, they are more appealing than what the dining room had before.  The only negative for me is the lack of chicken dishes. I seldom eat red meat so that is lacking, I do like the seafood options.  With all the dining choices now on the ship I don't think I will be in the dining room more than a night or 2. I also want to see the menus for the indulge food hall. I will be on the Prima in Feb. I am pretty excited for this new class and all the options.

I don't know if Indulge will have menus in the traditional sense.  I can see them doing rotating items somewhat like the stations on the buffet.  For example, the Indian section of the buffet has a few items every day, but they change from day to day.  So the BBQ stand might have ribs one day, pulled pork the next, etc.

2 hours ago, saltsandknit said:

Yes, my only real concern was for those who prefer chicken or who are vegetarian.  Especially on a longer itinerary.  Those who like everything like me (proof is in my waistline), we're in good shape.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Karaboudjan said:

I don't know if Indulge will have menus in the traditional sense.  I can see them doing rotating items somewhat like the stations on the buffet.  For example, the Indian section of the buffet has a few items every day, but they change from day to day.  So the BBQ stand might have ribs one day, pulled pork the next, etc.

I'm thinking that's the case too.  It will be interesting to hear from those onboard what it's like.

I'm a very picky eater, and I'm very happy with the new menu so that says a lot. I actually prefer it to the Haven menu as there's a lot more for me to pick from on that menu than with Haven.

The other thing to keep in mind that maybe some folks never thought about... if it's on the menu, you can get it. So if you like the vegetarian meal but want extra protein, ask them to add on a chicken breast. Or sub the filet with a chicken or fish that's already on the menu. 

Not sure how it's possible for someone to be pickier than me with all that flexibility. I'm fine with past a different way each night and slapping on either chicken or steak. Can't wait to get to try it out!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, looneyric said:

I read before the main dining rooms would have offerings from some of the specialties for an extra charge.  Could that be “signature taste”?  Interested to see what these offerings would be. 

I had read something about that too.    It sounded like each night they would feature one dinner choice from a specialty restaurant.   (It may or may not have an extra charge?)  Something from Los Lobos, Onda or Palomar would be an interesting addition to the extensive regular menu.  Or perhaps a dish from one of the Food Hall options like Q or Tamara?

I am very intrigued with the new MDR menu.      

Wow, makes me hungry just reading the MDR menu. We don't 'do' specialty restaurants (even though we have 2 nights specialty with our package next July) because the food in the MDR is very much to our liking.  Why pay extra when we get such good food included?  But, we also don't go on a cruise just to eat although our favorite saying on board is 'time to go back to the trough'.

10 hours ago, lexxfield said:

The choices for the week are considerably less than available now.  …  Any way one looks at it, a significant reduction in choices cannot be considered a positive.  As I am not one to dine at specialty restaurants, this change is sufficiently negative to warrant a serious look at other comparable lines.

This menu is workable for me (meaning I would be alive at the end of the cruise but loss of appetite.). I agree 100% that this is a big strategic mistake for NCL.  Limiting the choices is a downgrade.  This is fully a cost-cutting measure, not a customer experience improvement.

Seeing this same dinner menu 7 days in a row would not be acceptable, let alone on a 10- or 14-day cruise.

3 of the 5 seafood choices are shrimp.  Seriously.  And 4 of the 6 meat choices are cattle.  And only ONE chicken dinner for the whole cruise.?!?!

I’m aware that Norwegian now has contractors who monitor Cruise Critic and I’m not sure whether or not they are allowed to post/influence.  But I expect to read a lot of positive spin online about the new streamlined menu, even as discontent on-board grows.  

Increased base fares, less meal choices and more add-on charges in the “free” dining room are not a recipe for customer satisfaction. Nor is sitting down to the same exact menu for 7 days in a row.  NCL seems to be doubling down on the economic strategies that are causing cruisers to look at other lines, even as NCL’s ability to fill all its cabins lags behind the other cruise companies.

And just remember, if Norwegian gets it’s way (and they will),  you can choose any ship in their line and get the same menu on your 2024 cruise as your 2023, and same in 2025, and…

Year after year, same ol’ menu.  The single menu can now be a sticky at the top of the Norwegian forum.  😞 

Edited by styxfire
  • Like 4