Oceania App?

fink402

1 hour ago, basor said:

I think it is time to get back to the topic of Oceania App not a discussion on cell phones

Seriously I am not trying to make fun of anybody but we are all cruisers who travel and if you have a better or equivalent cell plan I would like to know about it.  It's something we all use (at least I think we do).

I have a senior plan and I did not think Verizon offered that (at least in California).  I have free international high speed data not just texting and I did not think that was an option on Verizon either.

In addition to the other things listed I would like to know if there is something better for me.  You seem to imply there was something close.

This thread is about apps and its under cruising - two things where cell phones intersect.

FYI my rate is $90 total for 2 lines for all the above stuff.  There is a cheaper plan for $70 for 2 lines that includes slower international data and no Netflix but I felt the option was worth it for me.

1 hour ago, MaryNorCal said:

Sister cruise line, Regent, used to have an app that was used to hear the shore excursion tour leader more clearly, especially from the rear of the group. Thought that’s a nice touch.

Do they give you a smart phone or how did you hear the guide ??

On the river cruise  they gave us a device to use with headphones  so we could wander  a bit  from the group

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Seriously I am not trying to make fun of anybody but we are all cruisers who travel and if you have a better or equivalent cell plan I would like to know about it.  It's something we all use (at least I think we do).

There is  another thread her  talking about the different plans  why not join in that conversation

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone for your information. The reason I asked the questions is that I had a conversation with my brother-in-law who had been on a recent Viking cruise and he said, "Be sure to download the cruise line's app." He found the Viking app very handy for accessing all of the things mentioned by zalusky. It does seem a bit "old school" that Oceania does not yet have an app. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fink402 said:

Thanks, everyone for your information. The reason I asked the questions is that I had a conversation with my brother-in-law who had been on a recent Viking cruise and he said, "Be sure to download the cruise line's app." He found the Viking app very handy for accessing all of the things mentioned by zalusky. It does seem a bit "old school" that Oceania does not yet have an app. 

if having an app is more important that other things Oceania  has to offer  then  maybe Viking will be  a better fit

JMO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

I have a senior plan and I did not think Verizon offered that (at least in California).  I have free international high speed data not just texting and I did not think that was an option on Verizon either.

In addition to the other things listed I would like to know if there is something better for me.  You seem to imply there was something close.

This thread is about apps and its under cruising - two things where cell phones intersect.

FYI my rate is $90 total for 2 lines for all the above stuff.  There is a cheaper plan for $70 for 2 lines that includes slower international data and no Netflix but I felt the option was worth it for me.

There is a separate thread on this topic. No need to have dueling thread, especially since this is off topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

if having an app is more important that other things Oceania  has to offer  then  maybe Viking will be  a better fit

JMO

No.  Just because some people think there are some things Oceania could do better/differently, that's no reason why they should stop sailing on Oceania.  Oceania, contrary to what some people think, is not perfect and could use improvement in some areas.

I, for one, believe an Oceania app could be a real boon.  They're pushing "going green", yet they publish a daily newsletter that may not even be opened by many on that cruise.  If they had it delivered to the app each day, it might be a bit more useful.  No more photographing the harbor master's info, just in case!

Same holds true for tour tickets. Send them via the app and include the tour bus number, time to disembark, and the time the bus actually leaves.  This way, no one has to sit in the theater for 45m, waiting to be called.  If we can get on planes using electronic boarding passes, and get on cruise ships the same way, and get into or on other tourist attractions using one, then it should be pretty simple to do the same thing for ship-sponsored, 3-hour local tour.  "Going green" applies here as well, since they wouldn't have 100 people running around the ship, dropping off a million paper tickets that are just thrown away.

There are a lot of other ways that Oceania could maximize the use of an app (for those who want to use it).  It's just a shame that they don't.

Edited by Cliff-FLL
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cliff-FLL said:

No.  Just because some people think there are some things Oceania could do better/differently, that's no reason why they should stop sailing on Oceania.  Oceania, contrary to what some people think, is not perfect and could use improvement in some areas.

I, for one, believe an Oceania app could be a real boon.  They're pushing "going green", yet they publish a daily newsletter that may not even be opened by many on that cruise.  If they had it delivered to the app each day, it might be a bit more useful.  No more photographing the harbor master's info, just in case!

Where would you get the app delivered to?

If to the TV  you are not always in the cabin to see your info

Not everyone carries  a phone glued to them

Of course Oceania is not perfect

Is there any cruise line or other business that is 🤔

Just now, LHT28 said:

Not everyone carries  a phone glued to them

Of course Oceania is not perfect

Is there any cruise line or other business that is 🤔

It’s simple those that want to use the app can and those that don’t don’t.  It’s not one size fits all but times are changing and you have to adjust to the next generation as they are your next set of passengers.

At some point there may be a tipping point but Oceania should not ignore the changes occurring in the rest of the entertainment and travel industry.   IT has given Us the ability to do things we could not do 20 years ago.  You can search for things and find better options whereas before you took what you got.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Not everyone carries  a phone glued to them.

Apps on downloaded onto smartphones (some TVs as well). The vast majority of us are “glued” to smartphones. An app would benefit many people, but I don’t choose my cruiseline based on this. For me, its not a dealbreaker.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

Apps on downloaded onto smartphones (some TVs as well). The vast majority of us are “glued” to smartphones. An app would benefit many people, but I don’t choose my cruiseline based on this. For me, its not a dealbreaker.

I agree, for me this would be nice to have, not a need to have.  I'd use it, my wife not so much.    I'd rather they work on updating the website first.

• Like 2

Its 2022 for heavens sake, they need an app.  For those you use apps, its a great convenience, for those who do don't, there are still other alternatives.  At some point, they will be forced to get an app.  There are always some things that a web site is better for no doubt, but for many things, it could be a huge convenience.  I can't tell you how many times i wish i had an Oceania app on my phone while enjoying a martini at Martinis as we are plan out our events for the following day.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

What about people without a smart phone?

We only got  a smartphone last Nov because  our rental building  you could only access some thing via an app

I have a cell for talk & text  but it does not work outside Canada  so it went in the safe  during the cruise except when we stopped in Canadian ports

It would be  a deal breaker for us if you NEEDED a smartphone  onboard

so far  Oceania  is fine for us

I can see how it would help some people  getting info

Time will tell if Oceania  will be off our preferred list

JMO

38 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What about people without a smart phone?

We only got  a smartphone last Nov because  our rental building  you could only access some thing via an app

I have a cell for talk & text  but it does not work outside Canada  so it went in the safe  during the cruise except when we stopped in Canadian ports

It would be  a deal breaker for us if you NEEDED a smartphone  onboard

so far  Oceania  is fine for us

I can see how it would help some people  getting info

Time will tell if Oceania  will be off our preferred list

JMO

Onboard you would use wifi to connect to the ship data.  Many people when they travel look for free wifi spots at coffee shops and other places.   They also buy travel sims for a nominal amount of money for the countries they are traveling in.

Newer phones support something called eSims where you electronically add a second provider to your phone when traveling.  Airalo being a good example.

In fact think about it.  You are in a strange place and wish you had a map or some device to help you find that cool restaurant or entertainment venue.  BAM this little device tells you how to drive/walk/train to your location and back WITHOUT having to worry and get lost.

• Like 1

I think a little grace is called for here.  Even though I've migrated/journeyed from a dos prompt in the 70's to Win10, I do understand how upsetting and daunting constantly changing technology can be for folks. Particularly for those of up that are now retired and no longer required to constantly keep abreast of the changing tech.

I think there must be a solution, I just don't know what it would be.  I just did the required online check-in for our Sirena cruise in two weeks, and the security photo requirement and manipulation would have sent some folks over the edge, so this subject is not going to go away.

• Like 1

I'm not as attached to my smart phone like some but there is no way I would travel without one.  It was absolutely essential to have when the U.S. was still requiring a negative Covid test to enter.  We traveled twice during that time and got our Covid tests at the airport. The results were emailed to us which allowed us to download them to present at the airline check-in counter so that we could go home.  The results were not printed so I have no idea how this would have been done without a smart phone.  When we're in a port, we always take ours with us because you never know when you'll need it. 

It's also very useful to have your airline's app on your smart phone to check on flight status among other things.  I've used it often when traveling.

An Oceania app would be a nice thing to have but not essential for me. I can get along without it when I'm on the ship. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

I think a little grace is called for here.  Even though I've migrated/journeyed from a dos prompt in the 70's to Win10, I do understand how upsetting and daunting constantly changing technology can be for folks. Particularly for those of up that are now retired and no longer required to constantly keep abreast of the changing tech.

I think there must be a solution, I just don't know what it would be.  I just did the required online check-in for our Sirena cruise in two weeks, and the security photo requirement and manipulation would have sent some folks over the edge, so this subject is not going to go away.

Some folks will always be Low Tech but many old folks are surprisingly Hi Tech after we are all on this forum talking to each other so that must mean something.  

The newer phone and watch devices are especially helpful to the older generation with their heart and oxygen monitoring and fall alerts.

To me just being able to find something when we are going somewhere is a marriage saver.

The find your partner app is especially helpful if you want to know where your traveling companions are for a get together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

Me also 

but  APPS & the expense of buying  a smart phone  in Canada  is  another story  not all of us want to spend $1000 + for  a phone & then the plan

DH is mastering the apps  but he ran the computers for  a major city service  so learns quickly😉

I agree just because you are  a techie  no need to put others down

• Like 1

An Oceania app. What a great plan! 🥴. Put more pressure on the ship’s WiFi that already runs at a snail’s pace! 🙄

I don’t need to read Currents, I’ve got an app! Let me check the app for what’s for dinner. Yep, just what the system needs! 😂😂. All those cruisers, not able to sleep, can be glued to their smartphones at 03:00 to see how long the ball spins so to check their app! 

• Like 1

All this talk about the app or lack thereof made me think that I have never seen someone checking their phone when in a bar, or restaurant, etc when on Oceania. I'm sure someone will pipe up and say they do, but let just say that I see it all the time at home but it is much more rare when on board. It's nice that people are not glued to their phone which makes them much more open to conversations with others.  I very often will talk to 'strangers' when waiting for our dinner reservation in a lounge/bar.  At home I would likely be using my phone to kill time.    Talking to fellow passengers is one of the reasons that we love Oceania.  The people onboard are, as a whole, very interesting to talk to.  And if having an app that they can now study makes them less open to conversation then I am not looking forward to an app.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, msn123 said:

Don't most apps require wifi?  With one wifi account per stateroom, it would be of limited advantage to me on the ship when the TV has all the info I need. 

With the understanding that I am NOT in favor of an O app, it would be possible to have the app work on the ship’s intranet- just like the end-of-cruise evaluation - no extra cost to connect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

I think a little grace is called for here.  Even though I've migrated/journeyed from a dos prompt in the 70's to Win10, 

OMIG, a DOS prompt! You’re taking me back to 80’s homework h3!!. 
augh! 😝

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here is the elephant in the room. We get the daily sheet with everything going on. The CD still appears to need to read out everything going on on sometimes multiple times a day. The argument for this is that people don’t read the daily activity sheet. 

If people don’t read something that is placed on their bed and almost certainly easier to access than an app then they sure as <insert whatever you want here> ain’t gonna access an app. 

The menus are on the telly, and at the entrance to the dining venue, the reservations desk is easy to get to if you need to see about more dining - the ships are small enough that it’s not far - or its a phone call away. 

The ship and passenger count isn’t really big enough to warrant having to sign up for baggo or even a poker tournament(just pop along 30 mins before for that).

I work in Social Media, I have done for over 20 years, I have my nose stuck to a screen all the time, and I enjoy it, but honestly, I don’t think Oceania needs an app. Those that aren’t tech savvy wouldn’t use it, those that are want a break from it ruling their lives.

The only thing that it could save me from was the midday and 5pm rote reading of the activity sheet like some kind of intrusive call to prayer (which I love when I am in Turkey, but dislike the version on Oceania intensely). 

• Like 4