Royal seawalks filled in?

CaliforniaDon

Just now, OccasionalSanta said:

What was the design flaw?

The flaw was a) the opening was a waste of valuable Lido deck space, b) standing on the skywalk and looking inward one could actually see into cabins on decks 15 and 14, and c) one had visibility of all the balconies in that area. A major design blunder. The skywalk itself is a gimmick. How could the Princess execs not see this and use their money elsewhere in the build?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

What did you think about the Discovery?

We felt very much "at home" on the Discovery!  We've been on the Royal, Regal, Majestic, Sky and now the Discovery in the "Royal" class.  Jeannie likes to try and find both itineraries and ships that we haven't done before.  (That's getting *really* hard to do!)  Since the layout is so similar to all the other ships, Discovery made us feel right at home.  No trouble at all finding our way around from day 1.  Everything was so clean in only the way that a brand new ship presents itself.  You can usually tell where rust has been painted over...none of that anywhere we could see.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We felt very much "at home" on the Discovery!  We've been on the Royal, Regal, Majestic, Sky and now the Discovery in the "Royal" class.  Jeannie likes to try and find both itineraries and ships that we haven't done before.  (That's getting *really* hard to do!)  Since the layout is so similar to all the other ships, Discovery made us feel right at home.  No trouble at all finding our way around from day 1.  Everything was so clean in only the way that a brand new ship presents itself.  You can usually tell where rust has been painted over...none of that anywhere we could see.

Discovery was my first Royal class and I just loved it.  So stunning. Thanks for your take on it. 

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hah! Was just off the Discovery a week ago.  I *thought* something seemed different with the skywalk but I just couldn't put my finger on it!

Clearly in the past you have never stopped to stare at people relaxing on their "private" balconies.

Lol John

10 minutes ago, john watson said:

Clearly in the past you have never stopped to stare at people relaxing on their "private" balconies.

Lol John

We have had a balcony cabin that, theoretically people on the skywalk could look into. We never felt overlooked,  and in actuality, after the first day, no one used the skywalk anyway ! Walk over it once, and no need to do it again.  Just a useless gimmick. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We have had a balcony cabin that, theoretically people on the skywalk could look into. We never felt overlooked,  and in actuality, after the first day, no one used the skywalk anyway ! Walk over it once, and no need to do it again.  Just a useless gimmick. 

There is a bit of an enigma here insofar as people who walk along the skywalk, stop and stare are typically thinking wowzz!!!  What did you wear when relaxing on the balcony?

Lol John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We were on Discovery's maiden voyage in March, but did see a bit of rust under the skywalk.  Otherwise, a beatiful ship.

SAM_2698.JPG

SAM_2699.JPG

11 hours ago, skynight said:

The flaw was a) the opening was a waste of valuable Lido deck space, b) standing on the skywalk and looking inward one could actually see into cabins on decks 15 and 14, and c) one had visibility of all the balconies in that area. A major design blunder. The skywalk itself is a gimmick. How could the Princess execs not see this and use their money elsewhere in the build?

It's not surprising at all. I'll bet they had trouble selling those cabins to many people. No one want's to travel in a fish bowl. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

It's not surprising at all. I'll bet they had trouble selling those cabins to many people. No one want's to travel in a fish bowl. 

I believe that passengers were quite often allocated these cabins as a free upgrade particularly those on the higher decks which is a reasonable outcome if you were previously ocean view or inside.

Regards John

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, john watson said:

I believe that passengers were quite often allocated these cabins as a free upgrade particularly those on the higher decks which is a reasonable outcome if you were previously ocean view or inside.

Regards John

SURPRISE ! 😆