Room Service Lunch and Breakfast?

SilvertoGold

Thinking of doing more room service on upcoming cruises and have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone ordered from the MDR menu for lunch? Only on port days, of course when it is open:)

2. If we get up in the morning and don't feel human enough to go to the MDR or Lido but haven't put out our Room Service menu card the night before, can we phone in a breakfast order? 

Thanks for any experiences or ideas.

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

If we get up in the morning and don't feel human enough to go to the MDR or Lido but haven't put out our Room Service menu card the night before, can we phone in a breakfast order? 

Yes, there are many breakfast items on the In Room menu, available 6-11 AM.

Room-Service-Vista-class-and-smaller.pdf (rogerjett-photography.com)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Has anyone ordered from the MDR menu for lunch? Only on port days, of course when it is open:)

MDR is usually closed on port days.

We had a sea day yesterday (on Rotterdam) and MDR was open from 12 -1pm

I don't know if it is possible to order items through room service, as none of the lunch items appeal to us!

Order Breakfast on the spur of the moment?  Yes.  But, one may need to be patient for delivery.  I have never considered ordering Room Service from the MDR Lunch menu when the MDR was open.  The selections available on the Room Service are more than adequate for lunch.  (Club Sandwich, as an example.)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, glutenhab said:

Don’t think anybody actually answered your one simple question;

On sea days, can we order meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) from their respective menus for delivery to our cabin (room service)?

Yes or No?

Thank you :)  Strange, isn't it, how some threads just don't work?  A lot of info except......ordering from MDR menues for room service.

I wish I could say the answer is for sure but I seem to remember that you can order from the dining room menu (lunch or dinner)  for room service.   Hope someone can confirm this!!

(It might just have been passengers who were quarantined and they were able to order anything from the dining room and have it delivered.)

I can't answer your whole question either, but we did realize only well into our recent voyage that, once the Dining Room opened, we could order anything off the Dining Room menu to be sent by room service during those meal hours. (We were not quarantined at the time.) We simply never tried that at lunch, so I'm afraid I can't be more help than that.

Frankly, the Dining Room lunch menu was less appealing to me than the breakfast or dinner ones were. On Nieuw Statendam, the veal brootje sandwich from Grand Dutch Cafe was my favorite lunch, but I walked down one deck and got it myself unless we were in our Deck 12 cabana, when the wonderful attendant would do so on my behalf.

If you are taking COVID precautions, as we were, a useful trick is to pre-order from Dive In or New York Pizza/Deli via the Navigator app and go pick up the food yourself. No charge done this way, but you can carry the lightweight tray wherever you'd like to eat, including in the room or on the balcony. (We did that a lot; hungry teens!) By the time we walked from Deck 4 aft to Deck 9/10, food was ready to go.

Of course, that helps if your reason to take room service is that you are avoiding dining indoors around strangers, as we were, vs. having a mobility issue or some other reason to remain physically in your room.

We did call for breakfast multiple times and it often arrived quickly in spite of not doing a card the night before. We were on Deck 4 aft, so quite near the Dining Room, but I don't know if that's a factor in speed. Sometimes quick, sometimes slow, even just for a carafe of tea. Room service toast was still usually cold, so I took to saving the small dish with a pat of butter from the day before to always have some at spreadable temperature. 🧈

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect it’s going to vary by ship.  When I was on the koningsdam I wanted the salmon in the mdr which you can perch on salads but I wanted to sub it in the the daily fish. The waiter said I’ll see if I can do that.  That was puzzling to me since I wasn’t asking for something that wasn’t there.  I’m assuming, perhaps wrongly that if I tried to order from the lunch menu and the mdr wasn’t open the answer would  be no.  Other ships may be fine with it.  I suspect no one has tried to do it so maybe the op will try and report back.

• Thanks 1