Cell phone usage on VOC question(s)

SailorPaulH

I have seen questions similar to this asked before, but can't seem to find feedback on the boards, so forgive me for asking this again.

Using cell phone on VOC in Europe (Viking Homelands) to text or call USA......

I have an Android, Verizon as provider and I have Travelpass (and my domestic plan includes unlimited talk and text).

My question is what is the best way to use this - what should I turn on/off etc.? Use differently on ship or shore? Use Wi-fi (turn on/off what?)

Any really simply explained instructions would be greatly appreciated!

For the iPhone, I turn on Airplane Mode, then turn on Wi-Fi.  No cellular calls or texts.  Apple does have iMessage capability through Wi-Fi. Nothing similar  on the Android I believe 

I only use cellular and TravelPass when in a port city (and if needed)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Mitina on the usage aspect.  I also have Verizon, and Travelpass.  I had to use it on ship one time and found out Travelpass only applies when you are in port.  Onboard the rate is usually $2.99 or $3.99 per minute.  I would check with Verizon before leaving to see if the rates have changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

AT&T has an international plan that kicks in anytime you're outside of the US, Canada & Mexico; it's $10/day and applies if you either call or text using cellular, so the trick (as others have said) is to turn off cellular and use the ship's wi-fi for texting.

It's nice that AT&T cell usage in Mexico is included; we just finished a Cancun vacation and enjoyed full cell usage while we were there.

On our last cruise around Italy (Italy, the Adriatic and Greece), onboard wi-fi was pretty awful, so in order to take care of necessary business, I used my cell phone as a hotspot when we were in port. Cost me, but I have a company that I have to run even while gone.

• Thanks 1

Since you have an android you can use an app connected to the ships WiFi to send texts, messages etc. a lot of people use What’s App, we like Slack (and set up groups for messages, conversations, etc). But there are several others that you can use. Voice calls will be quite pricey if you are out at sea.. We just stick to texts and messages unless we are in port somewhere. Just leave your phone in airplane mode and turn on the WiFi. It will keep you from racking up huge roaming charges. 

• Thanks 1

As Mitina said, we set our iPhones to airplane mode the minute we get on the plane and leave them like that for most of the trip. 

Your phone can still use Wi-Fi while in airplane mode. So when we get onboard or to our hotel, we connect to Wi-Fi, always without turning off airplane mode. 

The only time we turn off airplane mode is when we need to use the phone while on land and away from Wi-Fi. We use Verizon’s $10/day TravelPass for that. 

Airplane mode will protect you from unwanted charges!

Caveat: if you want to make calls, make sure your phone’s settings are set to allow calls over WiFi. I don’t know how to do this on Android phones; probably Google can tell you. On an iPhone, go to Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have T-Mobile 55+ plan. I just put our iPhones on roaming when we land and leave it there. If we need to make a call home we switch to wi-fi calling. Otherwise, texts are frequently free now while abroad, and calls are cheap under the plan. We don’t have anyone at home we need to be in touch with by phone call, so this plan works fine for us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mitina said:

For the iPhone, I turn on Airplane Mode, then turn on Wi-Fi.  No cellular calls or texts.  Apple does have iMessage capability through Wi-Fi. Nothing similar  on the Android I believe 

I only use cellular and TravelPass when in a port city (and if needed)

I had no problem using AT&T’s WiFi calling on my iPhone 11 for SMS texting to friends who use Android phones on Verizon.

I have an Android phone and Verizon.  Depending on your Android phone, you should be able to do wifi calling without using an app.  In settings turn on airplane mode.  Turn on wifi and connect to the ship.  On my Pixel I look under Network & Internet to see that wifi calling is enabled.  If you can't find it on your phone . Use the search function within Settings for Wifi Calling.

• Thanks 1

I'm about to get a phone and carrier that have wifi calling, which is completely new to me (I am completely non-tech and reluctantly just said goodbye to my Galaxy S5).  Since there is wifi out at sea (and yes, I realize that sometimes it is real garbage), does this mean if the stars align and all is right with the world that wifi calls can be made from the ship when it is out to sea?   Thanks and my apologies for being so dumb.

4 minutes ago, shmabbies said:

I'm about to get a phone and carrier that have wifi calling, which is completely new to me (I am completely non-tech and reluctantly just said goodbye to my Galaxy S5).  Since there is wifi out at sea (and yes, I realize that sometimes it is real garbage), does this mean if the stars align and all is right with the world that wifi calls can be made from the ship when it is out to sea?   Thanks and my apologies for being so dumb.

Yes, just make sure your phone:

- has Wi-Fi calling capability turned on

- is in airplane mode.

Thanks Squawkman.  No iPhone, but I'm sure someone else will appreciate that information.  Will be calling my 90 year old mother who does not know how to use e-mail or text - landline, voice only!  I've been using Knowroaming to call her for years, mostly successfully, but need to be in port or on shore to call and the problem with THAT is the time difference.  With wi-fi calling, assuming it works as planned, I don't have to be so cognizant of the time.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 1:44 PM, longterm said:

AT&T has an international plan that kicks in anytime you're outside of the US, Canada & Mexico; it's $10/day and applies if you either call or text using cellular, so the trick (as others have said) is to turn off cellular and use the ship's wi-fi for texting.

It's nice that AT&T cell usage in Mexico is included; we just finished a Cancun vacation and enjoyed full cell usage while we were there.

On our last cruise around Italy (Italy, the Adriatic and Greece), onboard wi-fi was pretty awful, so in order to take care of necessary business, I used my cell phone as a hotspot when we were in port. Cost me, but I have a company that I have to run even while gone.

Verizon has the $10 a day international calling (only billed if you use it on a day) and I always get that just in case some member of my family has a problem and I have to call them.  Have only used it once during 4 Viking cruises but also used on HAL cruises. Honestly, I am glad to get away from my phone on the cruises.  Wish I could find a way to get that peace and relaxation at home.  🙂

On 8/30/2022 at 3:25 PM, Twitchly said:

As Mitina said, we set our iPhones to airplane mode the minute we get on the plane and leave them like that for most of the trip. 

Your phone can still use Wi-Fi while in airplane mode. So when we get onboard or to our hotel, we connect to Wi-Fi, always without turning off airplane mode. 

The only time we turn off airplane mode is when we need to use the phone while on land and away from Wi-Fi. We use Verizon’s $10/day TravelPass for that. 

Airplane mode will protect you from unwanted charges!

Caveat: if you want to make calls, make sure your phone’s settings are set to allow calls over WiFi. I don’t know how to do this on Android phones; probably Google can tell you. On an iPhone, go to Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling.

It's also worth noting that apps use cellular data in background, which increases your bandwidth usage, slows you down, and depending on your plan, may incur additional cellular charges. It's always a safe practice to disable cellular usage on all apps except those you really want to use.

On the iPhone it's under Settings>Cellular. Toggle off any apps you don't intend to use.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

1 hour ago, shmabbies said:

Thanks Squawkman.  No iPhone, but I'm sure someone else will appreciate that information.  Will be calling my 90 year old mother who does not know how to use e-mail or text - landline, voice only!  I've been using Knowroaming to call her for years, mostly successfully, but need to be in port or on shore to call and the problem with THAT is the time difference.  With wi-fi calling, assuming it works as planned, I don't have to be so cognizant of the time.

That's correct - but be aware it works both ways. Make sure your mom knows the time difference so she doesn't call you when you're sleeping. 

Good advice Squawkman, but does wi-fi calling work both ways?  If she's on a landline in the US, can I receive a wi-fi call at sea from her on my phone?  And would it not be a toll call (there's a phrase you don't hear often anymore) for her?  That alone would keep her from doing it!

Wow, thanks LindaS272.  No, she is not long distance from her landline to my cell.  Since she doesn't even dial "1" to call my cell, does that mean she would just dial area code + number to reach me at sea on wi-fi?    My apologies to whom these are very basic questions - for me it is a revelation!

1 hour ago, shmabbies said:

Good advice Squawkman, but does wi-fi calling work both ways?  If she's on a landline in the US, can I receive a wi-fi call at sea from her on my phone?  And would it not be a toll call (there's a phrase you don't hear often anymore) for her?  That alone would keep her from doing it!

Yes - you would receive the call the same as if you were home. BTW, my only personal experience is with AT&T as the carrier, but I understand Verizon has the same features.

12 minutes ago, shmabbies said:

Wow, thanks LindaS272.  No, she is not long distance from her landline to my cell.  Since she doesn't even dial "1" to call my cell, does that mean she would just dial area code + number to reach me at sea on wi-fi?    My apologies to whom these are very basic questions - for me it is a revelation!

Yes - exactly the same. Similarly, if you get junk calls (like most of us), they'll come through too. What we do is put our phones in "Do Not Disturb" mode so they don't wake us up (I assume Android phones have something like that). When I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I check to see if anyone important called.

• Like 1

So much for me to learn, not just about wi-fi calling, but about cell phones in general.  When I said I was no-tech, I truly meant it.  The apple hasn't fallen far from the Mom tree!  I think my carrier is going to be T-Mobile, but LindaS272 indicated that's what she had so I should be all set.  You all have been a big help, and please continue to share ideas and tips no matter how basic, because I'm eager to hear them.  I worry about my mother constantly when we're away and my phone usage is tied strictly to her comfort and safety.  My younger brother died totally unexpectedly while DH and I were away,  I learned of this via e-mail, and that's not something you get over easily.  Thanks again!

Use tracfone -- prepaid  -- Motorola Android.  Have received texts while on V (Wi-Fi calling on).  Was surprised to receive texts, because Tracfone does not work outside of US.  

I do not know if I could make and receive voice -- didn't try, but will try on next V cruise.   Wife has same  -- she could make/receive calls in USVI (US Territory) -- but I could not.  It worked in San Juan (also US Territory) for both.  Go figure.