Why so many bad reviews on MSC.

Ptroxx

I’m thinking about taking my first cruise on MSC. 

But I’m seeing so many bad reviews on different boards about how bad the food is.  
Others about the service.    
I have a few cruises planned on different lines and was thinking about adding this cruise into the mix

i have 15 days on NCl and 8 days free then another week on RC.  
I’m not to demanding of a cruiser but food is important to me as I’m a little picky of an eater.   

will I be disappointed if I take this MSC cruise in between my other trips.  
the price sure is right.  

TIA

G

83674EA8-E1F8-4F62-9C92-4E19E24A361D.png

2A080D9F-0D99-46E1-A587-5CC511443374.png

Because MSC is not really great at anything other than their price point. It doesn't mean they're bad - I'm Diamond with them - but they are not really great at any aspect of cruising. Everything is mediocre. But their ships are beautiful, their staff is untrained, their food is fine, their entertainment is laughable, but when it comes down to it... if you can't have fun on a cruise, it isn't the cruise line's fault. 

• Like 6

I just did a 4 day quick cruise with them about a month ago. 

No issues.

Service was good.  Food was good.  Workers were pleasant.  Entertainment was good.  

Better shows than the one I just did on Carnival a few weeks ago where they had no broadway style shows.

I like MSC and booked another one in January.  Same itinerary, different ship though.

• Like 2

We've booked our first cruise with MSC for this October.  I guess it's a case of trying it for yourself and seeing how it pans out.  Luckily, as long as we don't sink. I know me and the better half will have a great time - things would have to be really really bad for our holiday to be spoiled.

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing
  • Like 3

MSC is different in many ways.

Some people complain because things are simply not what they are used to.

Some people don't do their research and complain about the experience that THEY selected.

Some people have an aversion to different food types.

Some people don't like "foreigners" and MSC attracts many different nationalities.

Some people don't like some of the traditions that MSC has for many such as assigned dining and formal nights.

Some people don't like the tiers for "experience" and see it as class segregation (NCL's Haven is often seen in the same way).

Some....maybe ALL have issues with MSC's IT department and MSC's land-based customer service.

With so many different things, one can understand why MSC's reviews are all over the place.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

There are negative reviews here and there for all cruise lines, not just MSC.

As mentioned above, there are some differences.  Personally, we loved the fact that many passengers were not American.  It felt more like being "away" than what we get on RC or similar.  We preferred MSC's shows.  We've seen enough "Broadway" type shows on cruise ships to last a lifetime.

One should be aware of the different "experiences" and what they give.  For us, we wanted a set dining time, and we do not use room service.  So Bella was the right fit for us.  But for someone wanting flex dining, that would not be a good choice.

Service from crew is more European style, meaning less overly friendly or effusive.  Again, that suits us, but it might lead some to say it is "cold".

We found the food, overall, on a par with other mainstream lines.  Some items, such as the pizza and the sticky buns, are outstanding.

We have had wonderful cruises with MSC, and want to do more.  Never had any reason to phone or contact them, so no problem there, nor did we ever have to use Guest Services while onboard.

As long as you are aware of some of the differences, you can have a fabulous cruise.

• Like 6

The reason you’re reading many bad reviews? Most people will only write a review if they have something negative to say. 

If I really looked hard enough I could find something bad about every cruise we’ve ever been on but the positives outweigh the negatives every time. 

Food is subjective so I read those complaints and don’t give them too much thought. 

I’ve never been on a cruise where I couldn’t find something good to eat. 

We have been on 2 MSC cruises and we enjoyed both very much. We have another booked over the New Year 

You simply cannot beat the price point compared to the other mass market lines. I tell everyone to try it at least once and decide for yourself.

• Like 6

I would agree with what others have said. We have only done one MSC cruise on the Meraviglia but have another booked in January. We did find the MDR food at dinner to be a little lacking but we never did without food! There are lots of good things to eat and I have serious doubts anyone, regardless of food preferences, will go hungry. However, I fully understand that not all reviews are written just to please me and some are truly someone ranting because some minor issue upset them. Go! Try it yourself and decide if a second cruise with MSC is in your future.

• Like 2

If I had to guess, some of the bad reviews come from people who can't or don't want to say that they are uncomfortable being around lots of people who are different from them.    If you are traveling on MSC, Aida or Costa, you are going to encounter people who don't speak English and people with different customs.  Personally, when the language barrier is too high, I find it difficult for everyone.   It can be real work to have a conversation when you don't speak the same language.

Other things with MSC are largely based on the way they segregate the first class passengers (Yacht Club) from the second class passengers (the rest of us).   They offer better food, better service and all of that for a steep price.    

I've been on MSC before and will cruise with them again, but I can say I have been disappointed by some things.   Sometimes the food misses the mark, but other times it can be very good.    Sometimes the entertainment isn't so great, but that seems to be the case for many cruise line right now.  The ships are gorgeous.   Wine is priced fairly.  They serve top notch espresso.  There's more that is good than what is bad.   If you haven't tried cruising on an MSC ship, my recommendation is to try one cruise and see if you like it.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the info.  
Yes the price point is great to fill a weeks time in between other cruises.   I’m really not that demanding.  
I don’t drink so not worried about drink service.   
don’t really like having my room cleaned.    
I make my own bed and I’m not a pig. Lolol.  

So as long as I don’t go down with the ship my guess I’ll be fine.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, papadave said:

If I had to guess, some of the bad reviews come from people who can't or don't want to say that they are uncomfortable being around lots of people who are different from them.    If you are traveling on MSC, Aida or Costa, you are going to encounter people who don't speak English and people with different customs.  Personally, when the language barrier is too high, I find it difficult for everyone.   It can be real work to have a conversation when you don't speak the same language.

Other things with MSC are largely based on the way they segregate the first class passengers (Yacht Club) from the second class passengers (the rest of us).   They offer better food, better service and all of that for a steep price.    

Interesting points.  Yes, MSC does attract a very international clientele (a majority of the cruisers on our voyages have been Europeans) which might be an adjustment for folks who are not used to traveling in Europe (or elsehwere).  But we have not seen many posts citing this as an issue.  Personally, DW and I love to interact with Europeans (we also travel extensively in Europe) and have generally found that many speak much better English then my French :).  

We often post about the class system on MSC (and some other lines) and will only cruise in the YC when on MSC!  The fact that the YC is segregated (by locked doors) from the "masses" should not be a big deal since those of us in the YC are just like everyone else when we leave the YC environs.  We have been in the YCs lounge a few times when the cruise staff brings through tour groups (of non YC cruisers) so they can glimpse what they are missing and decide if it be worth the extra money for themselves.   I will say that the YC is not for everyone as there are plenty of folks that might find it a bit too "uppity" and actually prefer being with the masses :).  Although DW and I are in the YC, we spend plenty of time around the rest of the ship and enjoy the bars, entertainment, alternate restaurants, and some of the other amenities found outside the YC.   I will also say that the folks we have met inside the YC environs (Europeans and North Americans) have all been nice folks who, like us, are willing to pay for the better service and amenities found within the YC.  

For anyone reading this post and curious about the YC I would simply say it is a great option for those who want a little more luxury, over the top service, and are willing to part with the extra money.  Folks in the YC are not getting any "bargains" and we certainly pay for the extra space and dedicated dining venue.

Hank

• Like 7

I cruised on the Meraviglia in January for the first time with MSC and enjoyed it. There are some differences between MSC and other main stream lines such as Carnival and Royal Caribbean, but I still had a great time and I’ve booked Divina for 19 days in October and for seven days in January. I currently sell solo, so they’re low or no charges for solo are a huge benefit for me.

As others have said, I think the primary reason they have many negative reviews is people don’t do enough research prior to going on the cruise and are expecting things to be exactly like they were on Carnival Royal Caribbean. Many seem to book the cheapest fare (Bella), but somehow expect the Yacht Club experience.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

Hello first time on this board. Where do you eat breakfast and lunch on the Seashore? Does it matter if it is a sea day or not?

Is any of the specialty dinning open for lunch when at port or at sea?

thank you

On sea days, the restaurants and the buffet are open for all meals.  On port days, the restaurant is closed at lunchtime, but open at breakfast and for dinner.

Personally, we have always enjoyed having breakfast and lunch in the buffet, and dinner in the dining room, in our case, at a set time and table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting points.  Yes, MSC does attract a very international clientele (a majority of the cruisers on our voyages have been Europeans) which might be an adjustment for folks who are not used to traveling in Europe (or elsehwere).  But we have not seen many posts citing this as an issue.  Personally, DW and I love to interact with Europeans (we also travel extensively in Europe) and have generally found that many speak much better English then my French :).  

We often post about the class system on MSC (and some other lines) and will only cruise in the YC when on MSC!  The fact that the YC is segregated (by locked doors) from the "masses" should not be a big deal since those of us in the YC are just like everyone else when we leave the YC environs.  We have been in the YCs lounge a few times when the cruise staff brings through tour groups (of non YC cruisers) so they can glimpse what they are missing and decide if it be worth the extra money for themselves.   I will say that the YC is not for everyone as there are plenty of folks that might find it a bit too "uppity" and actually prefer being with the masses :).  Although DW and I are in the YC, we spend plenty of time around the rest of the ship and enjoy the bars, entertainment, alternate restaurants, and some of the other amenities found outside the YC.   I will also say that the folks we have met inside the YC environs (Europeans and North Americans) have all been nice folks who, like us, are willing to pay for the better service and amenities found within the YC.  

For anyone reading this post and curious about the YC I would simply say it is a great option for those who want a little more luxury, over the top service, and are willing to part with the extra money.  Folks in the YC are not getting any "bargains" and we certainly pay for the extra space and dedicated dining venue.

Hank

im 100% not a yc kinda person. Lol. 
but for this price I think I’ll give it a shot.  
this is why I posted this so I could hear other’s opinions 

and like others said if I go in with low expectations and understanding how the lines differ.  Could be a win win. 
was gonna do 8 days traveling around florida.   
but I’ve been many times and lived there so no big deal to skip it.   
cheaper that’s for sure.   

We have come to love MSC. Been on 3 and are booked for #4. If you're going ito the YC, be prepared for a pleasant surprise. You won't find many negative reviews about the YC. The experience might change a little depending on the ship, but there is nothing bad. 

• Like 2

I've sailed on MSC. no problems. I dont even have the IT or land based customer service issues that most folks swear everyone has with MSC. Not my experience at all. I go on cruises to relax. MSC cruises allow me that opportunity. 

• Like 4

I have sailed on over 50 cruises and 5 of my last 6 have been on MSC.  I have enjoyed every single one of them, and I absolutely love the Meriviglia.  I embrace the differences between MSC and the other mainstream lines.  It works for me, and for the people I have recommended them to.  I have sailed with friends and I have sailed solo.  I met wonderful and very interesting people on my solo cruises!  I find the food is very good, although there have been a few duds here & there, but that is true of every line I have sailed.  The crew has been amazing & for me that is what sets them apart along with the beautiful ships.  Anyway, happy sailing if you decide to try them!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, deliver42 said:

We have come to love MSC. Been on 3 and are booked for #4. If you're going ito the YC, be prepared for a pleasant surprise. You won't find many negative reviews about the YC. The experience might change a little depending on the ship, but there is nothing bad. 

I won’t be doing the YC that’s for sure.  But I think I will give them a shot.   
As long as I have a balcony and there’s food onboard I’ll be good I guess.  
considering what everyone else has been saying.   

for the price of 700 for a balcony for a week can’t hurt I guess.   
a lot cheaper than spending 8 days on land in Florida.     

• Like 4

Go for it...

If you are on the mindset, "at least I am on vacation" you will be fine.

Food always subjective -- you can always order something else if you don't like the first, second or third dish 

Service -- where are you going to rush off too?

Drinks -- you said you don't drink alcohol -- and for that "meh: review -- I believe, all lines require everyone in the room to purchase the drink package

Entertainment -- sit in the back and walk out or enjoy the 30-45 min performance to see what you are missing (to be honest, they are the same sets, just different themes...but its singing, dancing, some acrobats and rinse and repeat).  I find the smaller shows more entertaining than the main ones.

If you can pick a ship that stops at their private island -- that's a must. 

Have fun cruising!!!!

1 hour ago, xcell said:

Go for it...

If you are on the mindset, "at least I am on vacation" you will be fine.

Food always subjective -- you can always order something else if you don't like the first, second or third dish 

Service -- where are you going to rush off too?

Drinks -- you said you don't drink alcohol -- and for that "meh: review -- I believe, all lines require everyone in the room to purchase the drink package

Entertainment -- sit in the back and walk out or enjoy the 30-45 min performance to see what you are missing (to be honest, they are the same sets, just different themes...but its singing, dancing, some acrobats and rinse and repeat).  I find the smaller shows more entertaining than the main ones.

If you can pick a ship that stops at their private island -- that's a must. 

Have fun cruising!!!!

thanks for the info.  
Solo cruiser here so not worried about a drink package.  
I think the ship does stop at its private island. 

I think I’ll be fine if I go one this trip.  

30A44DF7-9D78-462A-8613-ED91967571BC.jpeg

• Like 1

My family loves MSC.  We have only done YC and it has spoiled us for sure.   Have sailed Seaside and the Seashore out of Miami.   Have Seaside booked, again, for Spring Break next year.   Love the international feel, pizza, and the beautiful ship itself.  I would say that MSC isn't for everybody but it is definitely for us!  🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maitaivegas said:

Hello first time on this board. Where do you eat breakfast and lunch on the Seashore? Does it matter if it is a sea day or not?

Is any of the specialty dinning open for lunch when at port or at sea?

thank you

Breakfast and lunch can be had in both the MDR and the buffet on port and sea days. Hours of operation vary so check the daily planner. I think the MDR has a shorter serving window than The buffet. Some specialty dining options are available for lunch. Hola tacos has advertised all you can eat for $17.99 pp and bogo margaritas. 

17 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Some people don't like the tiers for "experience" and see it as class segregation (NCL's Haven is often seen in the same way).

You are probably correct however I find that one strange as most ships do something like this now and some have done for a very long time eg

The Retreat on Celebrity

Haven NCL

Grills Cunard (and second tier club dining)

Some are less overt about it but they still do it non the less with priority embarkation, little extras and special dining eg

Princess have a special dining area for club class

RCI have a suites dining venue

P&O offer a different breakfast venue

Same in dry land in hotels many of which have exclusive club class areas.

They are freely open for absolutely anyone to purchase and enjoy unlike a true “class” system based on who you are, who your parents were and who you know.

I have travelled everything from inside to top suites and accept that you get what you pay for.

• Like 1