Cruising with children

Hi, I'll be cruising with family next year on the Coral Princess and we've booked three 4 berth mini suites to accommodate us all (6 adults and 6 children).

I have a few queries though. Has anyone stayed in one of those rooms? There's a pull-out couch and a single bunk that comes down from the wall/ceiling. Wondering if the couch would sleep 2 or if it's single?  Pictures I've found are confusing so wondering if anyone has experience? If pull out couch would accommodate 2 girls (7 and 9) then we were thinking, once on board, having mum and dad and 3 x children sleep in the same cabin, I think they'd prefer that.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20220829-095542_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220831-091401_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220831-091531_YouTube.jpg

Edited by Jean C

With the top beds pulled down, you cannot have twin beds below, only King.  I am in a Caribe deck premium balcony cabin on Coral soon, on my own but it has capacity for 4. But cabin notes say if top beds are used then twin beds in cabin cannot be utilised just a king size, if you know what I mean.

Not sure if the 4 berth minis are the same.

Edited by NSWP

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

With the top beds pulled down, you cannot have twin beds below, only King.  I am in a Caribe deck premium balcony cabin on Coral soon, on my own but it has capacity for 4. But cabin notes say if top beds are used then twin beds in cabin cannot be utilised just a king size, if you know what I mean.

With the mini-suites the sofa section is separate to the bed section. The sofa is a sofabed and there is a bunk that comes down from the ceiling above the sofa. It doesn't affect the bed area at all but can restrict access to the balcony.

The real issue is whether they will be allowed to have five in one cabin. The sofabed is probably big enough to sleep the two girls.

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Hi, I'll be cruising with family next year on the Coral Princess and we've booked three 4 berth mini suites to accommodate us all (6 adults and 6 children).

I have a few queries though. Has anyone stayed in one of those rooms? There's a pull-out couch and a single bunk that comes down from the wall/ceiling. Wondering if the couch would sleep 2 or if it's single?  Pictures I've found are confusing so wondering if anyone has experience? If pull out couch would accommodate 2 girls (7 and 9) then we were thinking, once on board, having mum and dad and 3 x children sleep in the same cabin, I think they'd prefer that.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20220829-095542_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220831-091401_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220831-091531_YouTube.jpg

Jean, we'll be on Coral on Saturday in a minisuite. I'll measure the width of the sofa and let you know. From the photo I suspect it's the size of a double bed, or maybe a tad smaller. 

Our mini didn't have a pullman bunk, but it did have a soa bed. Two kids could easily share  the sofa bed.

Pretty sure they won't let you book 5 in the cabin, but they are usually flexible enough to allow you to shuffle around your sleeping arrangements once aboard. Best if you can keep your cabins close, and if you can get them side by side, you can also open up the balcony dividers.

45 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Jean, we'll be on Coral on Saturday in a minisuite. I'll measure the width of the sofa and let you know. From the photo I suspect it's the size of a double bed, or maybe a tad smaller. 

Thanks, much appreciated.  From various photos I've seen it looks as though maybe not always the full width of the sofa pulls out (the two darker photos are from the Coral and look the most promising).  Our cabins are C216, C220 and C226. If you think about it and get an easy opportunity, I'd appreciate it if you could ask the cabin steward, just so we know for sure 🙂 If the 2 younger girls (7 and 9) can't sleep together in the same bed  (11 year old brother will be in top bunk) it's no problem as one of them is booked in my cabin anyway.  Thanks heaps and have a wonderful, wonderful cruise 😊 🍹🛳 🌞

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Thanks for the info.  For the mini suite the adults will all have the king size bed, from pictures it looks as though it is well away from the pull out couch and bunk bed (which comes down along the wall edge, rather than sticking out into the room). We've booked two adults and 2 kids in each mini suite but it would be nice for one of the girls if she could also be in her mum and dad's room, making for 5 sleeping in the room. Thanks for your help 👍 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Thanks, much appreciated.  From various photos I've seen it looks as though maybe not always the full width of the sofa pulls out (the two darker photos are from the Coral and look the most promising).  Our cabins are C216, C220 and C226. If you think about it and get an easy opportunity, I'd appreciate it if you could ask the cabin steward, just so we know for sure 🙂 If the 2 younger girls (7 and 9) can't sleep together in the same bed  (11 year old brother will be in top bunk) it's no problem as one of them is booked in my cabin anyway.  Thanks heaps and have a wonderful, wonderful cruise 😊 🍹🛳 🌞

I'll take the measurement of the actual seat width, inside the armrests. 

There is no guarantee the steward will be the same for your cruise. I think it's better to leave it until you board. With kids of that age it shouldn't matter where they actually sleep since you'll only be using existing beds.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Our mini didn't have a pullman bunk, but it did have a soa bed. Two kids could easily share  the sofa bed.

Pretty sure they won't let you book 5 in the cabin, but they are usually flexible enough to allow you to shuffle around your sleeping arrangements once aboard. Best if you can keep your cabins close, and if you can get them side by side, you can also open up the balcony dividers.

Thanks for the info, I drafted a reply but it went poof and disappeared into the ether 😧 Our cabins are close but the 4 berths are every second cabin so you can't book side by side (presumably the ones in between are 3 berth) - see screen capture of 4 berths from Princess' deck plans web site.  Thanks 😊 

Screenshot_20220829-083306_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hi all, my next question is re laundry. When we embark on this cruise we will have reached the giddy heights of elite status, woohoo, along with the perk of free laundry service. Because of the family, I will probably use it for the first time. Any recommendations, ie do you just fill the bag and leave it on end of bed for cabin steward to take away in the morning or evening or do you let them know it needs collecting? I've never been one to utilize the stewards for anything other than servicing the cabins as I figure they have enough passengers trying to run them ragged, so want the most convenient method for them. Also, how long does return normally take? Cheers everyone 👍 

6 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hi all, my next question is re laundry. When we embark on this cruise we will have reached the giddy heights of elite status, woohoo, along with the perk of free laundry service. Because of the family, I will probably use it for the first time. Any recommendations, ie do you just fill the bag and leave it on end of bed for cabin steward to take away in the morning or evening or do you let them know it needs collecting? I've never been one to utilize the stewards for anything other than servicing the cabins as I figure they have enough passengers trying to run them ragged, so want the most convenient method for them. Also, how long does return normally take? Cheers everyone 👍 

We just leVe the bag on the bed.

Most days it comes back later that day and I think once when we left it on the bed later in the day it came back next day.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

We just leVe the bag on the bed.

Most days it comes back later that day and I think once when we left it on the bed later in the day it came back next day.

Thanks heaps, good to know 👍

• Like 1

Okay, another question - does anyone know if, once on board, you can have medallions programmed to open the cabin door of companions, ie for the two children in our cabin, would their medallions be able to be programmed to also open their parents' cabin door? Cheers everyone 👍 

4 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Okay, another question - does anyone know if, once on board, you can have medallions programmed to open the cabin door of companions, ie for the two children in our cabin, would their medallions be able to be programmed to also open their parents' cabin door? Cheers everyone 👍 

Medallion will only open one door. I doubt they would allow for both doors being coded the same either.

Laundry - I think you can also alert your steward there is laundry for pick-up via the medallion app. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jean C said:

We just leave in on the bed before evening turndown. If there are a lot of Elites on your cruise it could take up to three days to come back so pack accordingly. In that case it's better to get small amounts done each day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I know there used to be some sort of system with the old cruise cards so maybe something can be done with the medallions. Go to Guest Services on boarding day to see what can be done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Thanks for the info.  For the mini suite the adults will all have the king size bed, from pictures it looks as though it is well away from the pull out couch and bunk bed (which comes down along the wall edge, rather than sticking out into the room). We've booked two adults and 2 kids in each mini suite but it would be nice for one of the girls if she could also be in her mum and dad's room, making for 5 sleeping in the room. Thanks for your help 👍 

I meant to say Queen size not King.   I am just up the corridor from the cabins you mentioned, so if my cabin steward looks after those ones, I will endeavour to have a peep. On board 13/9 with half of Cruise Critic ANZ cruise addicts, lol.

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I know there used to be some sort of system with the old cruise cards so maybe something can be done with the medallions. Go to Guest Services on boarding day to see what can be done.

Cruise cards and locks could be coded the same, and very useful for families split over 2 cabins, particularly on ships with limited adjoining cabins. The problem with doing that with medallion, is that if the cabins are reasonably close together, both cabins will unlatch when only intending to open one door.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I meant to say Queen size not King.   I am just up the corridor from the cabins you mentioned, so if my cabin steward looks after those ones, I will endeavour to have a peep. On board 13/9 with half of Cruise Critic ANZ cruise addicts, lol.

Thanks so much, much appreciated - even just asking your steward if you see him would be helpful. Have a wonderful holiday with all your buddies 😊 

14 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Cruise cards and locks could be coded the same, and very useful for families split over 2 cabins, particularly on ships with limited adjoining cabins. The problem with doing that with medallion, is that if the cabins are reasonably close together, both cabins will unlatch when only intending to open one door.

Thanks for the advice, maybe I will leave it. The cabins do lock again if not accessed. The door handle on our last cruise was so stiff that the door would often re-lock before I could get it to open!

Here's a photo of the sofa bed made up in our Coral Mini Suite B230. 

It'd be "cosy" for the two of them if they're small and like to be close, but better for just one. 

IMG_20220701_222030_508.jpg

Edited by CDaze71

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So it's just half the sofa width?

2 thirds. One of the seats stays as a seat, the other two cushions are the sofa bed part. 

See the bit circled. There's three cushions. Two are the bed part and one single cushion stays put. 

IMG_20220626_105800_188~2.jpg

Edited by CDaze71
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

Here's a photo of the sofa bed made up in our Coral Mini Suite B230. 

It'd be "cosy" for the two of them if they're small and like to be close, but better for just one. 

IMG_20220701_222030_508.jpg

Thanks, good to know 😊 I think they'll end up doing a lot of bed hopping between the three cabins, as the cousins are all young and very close in age. Just a shame there is only one boy in the mix who will end up as the odd man out 🙃