Should I buy internet before the cruise or onboard?

Hello, I am Diamond and I am cruising on Explorer of the Seas for 6 nights September 25-October 1.  In the cruise planner it shows Voom Surf+Stream for $21.99 per day  or a discount of 10% from the regular price of $24.99.  Will it be cheaper to buy it onboard with the Diamond discount?  Thanks for any advice!

Edited by croaziera
added info.

40 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

Labor  Day sale. Wait. Also what carrier do you have?  If AT&T, they are running a $10.00/day deal right now for certain countries around the world.  Might be cheaper. My son just did this when he went to Iceland.

I have Claro, a Colombia mobile company, since I am retired in Medellín, Colombia.  With Claro, I had no service this past week when I visited Miami, so I had to rely on my hotel WiFi.  By buying the ship’s WiFi, I will be able to keep in touch with my girlfriend in Medellín and also do live streaming from the cruise on my YouTube channel.

Does anyone know the on board price for basic wifi for 1 device?  And does Royal Caribbean sometime offer wifi discounts later in the cruise?  Cruise planner currently has it at $17.99 per day.

I am newly Diamond and I am thinking I could wifi service/package in the middle of the cruise.

2 hours ago, croaziera said:

I have Claro, a Colombia mobile company, since I am retired in Medellín, Colombia.  With Claro, I had no service this past week when I visited Miami, so I had to rely on my hotel WiFi.  By buying the ship’s WiFi, I will be able to keep in touch with my girlfriend in Medellín and also do live streaming from the cruise on my YouTube channel.

based on everything i have been reading the past few weeks ... GL with that one,

People are saying the WIFI is terribly unreliable

First, S&S and Surf will always be more expensive on board. There have been threads recently figuring out cost savings if D or D+.

You will get one 24 period free, being Diamond. Since your days you need internet will then be 5, count on the ship price being at least $5-7 more per day than pre cruise price. Since you won’t be able to have any access in port, unless you find a wifi spot, do the math. I think the pre cruise price will save you money, but not a lot.

Just now, groundhog47 said:

For diamond members does the 24 hours free need to be used all at once or could you use 4 hours day for 6 days.

All at once. Once you log on the first time, it counts 24hrs from then.

I am on Oasis now. I signed in yesterday for my Diamond benefit of 24 hours free. If I paid for this service I would be at Guest Services asking for a refund. Response time is slower than the days when we had dial up connections. That is if you can even get a website to load. Don't waste your money.

On 8/31/2022 at 9:49 AM, croaziera said:

Hello, I am Diamond and I am cruising on Explorer of the Seas for 6 nights September 25-October 1.  In the cruise planner it shows Voom Surf+Stream for $21.99 per day  or a discount of 10% from the regular price of $24.99.  Will it be cheaper to buy it onboard with the Diamond discount?  Thanks for any advice!

My sept has the key at 17.99 sold out.

Allure for dec at 19.99 pppd  .. includes internet. Look at sales today. 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:52 PM, GWM907 said:

Response time is slower than the days when we had dial up connections.

That is normal with a sat connection at sea - it will get better once Starlink is installed, but pings (response time) will still be slower than dial up.

• Like 2