Labor Day Sale Key went down to $16.99

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

We priced out the same. So basically you can get the Chops grill lunch, debarkation breakfast, priority boarding and vip seating in the shows for $50? Sounds like a no brainer to me

We wont use the debarkation breakfast. The priority entering the terminal "at our dedicated check in time" is not needed for us. (Its not written as priority boarding. Entering the terminal for checking in is not the same thing as boarding the ship.) We like to choose theater seats ourselves based on the different shows and their venues.  So, the Chops lunch is the only benefit for us that we can say we would definitely use by getting The Key.  Chops lunch is on sale in our planner at the same break even price of The Key. So, we need a break even price with the Internet to make The Key worth it for us. The key is one of those things that it really matters which of the included options matter to each person. That determines the level of value.  For us, we would just get it if it makes the Internet for two devices the same price or better 🙂 and any of the "extra" stuff would just be a bonus in case we choose to use it. That's what we would call a deal. 

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, rebeccac said:

The price for the Key and for the Surf and Stream internet is absolutely identical for our December Symphony cruise.  Admittedly, a 2 device internet package is cheaper, but by so little, that we cancelled our internet package and went with the Key.  I never would have done this at the original pricing.  

We are ok with using that little $50 difference in  price for something else. We aren't really cool with giving away $50. But, I totally understand that everyone is different. 

Edited by blueslily

17 hours ago, skypig said:

Being solo sometimes has its benefit. I was able to get this for 17.99 on my TA in November which was less than the surf & stream package! 

Definitely! I cruise solo a lot and The Key has more value for me when I sail solo also. I think my best price so far as a solo cruiser was $15.99. That beat the Internet price so I definitely chose The Key. Happy sailing!

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blueslily said:

Is the Chops embarkation lunch in the MDR the same menu as what is offered for Chops in their restaurant? I'm trying to figure out if the lunch is the full menu or a limited lunch menu? 

I was told that it is a limited menu, rather some selected items from the main Chops lunch menu. I saw a picture somewhere (but it is not the one posted above,  to your query).

A lot of people also are under the impression that they will be having lunch inside the Chops Grill, which is not so in case of the Key.

4 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I was told that it is a limited menu, rather some selected items from the main Chops lunch menu. I saw a picture somewhere (but it is not the one posted above,  to your query).

A lot of people also are under the impression that they will be having lunch inside the Chops Grill, which is not so in case of the Key.

Thanks so much. I believe that it is a limited lunch menu as well. Hoping to find what is included somewhere. Thanks so much. 

10 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Where will the lunch be at if you have the key and it’s not inside the restaurant? 

On 9/3/2022 at 9:40 AM, blueslily said:

For my Symphony sailing in December, The Key is listed as $19.99 also and Internet Surf and Stream for one device is $20.99. So,The Key looks less. But, we were going to get Internet for one person with 2 devices to share that which is actually a little less total price than purchasing The Key for 2 people to get the internet. So, if The Key drops to $17.99 or less, we will go The Key route. Right now the price difference is $50 for two devices. 

On 9/3/2022 at 9:49 AM, clskinsfan said:

We priced out the same. So basically you can get the Chops grill lunch, debarkation breakfast, priority boarding and vip seating in the shows for $50? Sounds like a no brainer to me

Hmmm, you make a good point about thinking of the extra $50 as buying all those other things.

I'm in a similar spot as @blueslily, I bought internet for 1 device at $20.99/day, but am considering buying it for a second device (an extra $84, for a total of $230). 

The Key is currently also priced at $20.99/day. For 2 people that will be $293. So for any extra $60, I would get priority boarding, VIP show seating and Chops lunch. I have the dining package, so the chops lunch isn't worth anything to me, but the VIP seating in shows might be worth that price.

The whole reason I would even want the key is so I can board early enough to make my dining and show reservation. The key would eliminate one of those problems for me (the show seating), and then I could board early and make my dining reservations. 

Question - does the VIP seating guarantee you a seat at every show, all showtimes?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Hmmm, you make a good point about thinking of the extra $50 as buying all those other things.

I'm in a similar spot as @blueslily, I bought internet for 1 device at $20.99/day, but am considering buying it for a second device (an extra $84, for a total of $230). 

The Key is currently also priced at $20.99/day. For 2 people that will be $293. So for any extra $60, I would get priority boarding, VIP show seating and Chops lunch. I have the dining package, so the chops lunch isn't worth anything to me, but the VIP seating in shows might be worth that price.

The whole reason I would even want the key is so I can board early enough to make my dining and show reservation. The key would eliminate one of those problems for me (the show seating), and then I could board early and make my dining reservations. 

Question - does the VIP seating guarantee you a seat at every show, all showtimes?

Thanks for sharing the math and that The key is about which inclusions matter to each person. 

One note about "early boarding". I've seen people use that language a lot when talking about The Key. The language in The Key inclusions is a little different than that. It does not actually reference early boarding of the ship. Just wanted to share that so you and others might not be disappointed when it comes to that. 🙂 Sure, it helps with boarding, but the language is just a bit different. 

I will continue to watch for any price drops for The Key. It's good for one device,  but we want two. I check daily. 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, blueslily said:

Thanks for sharing the math and that The key is about which inclusions matter to each person. 

One note about "early boarding". I've seen people use that language a lot when talking about The Key. The language in The Key inclusions is a little different than that. It does not actually reference early boarding of the ship. Just wanted to share that so you and others might not be disappointed when it comes to that. 🙂 Sure, it helps with boarding, but the language is just a bit different. 

I will continue to watch for any price drops for The Key. It's good for one device,  but we want two. I check daily. 🙂

Does The Key only get you early check in, and not early boarding? Because that definitely downgrades it's value to me if that's the case. 

Never understood the benefit from Key.  That's $16.99 per person per day so a total of $237.86!  Egad, what is worth that.  Checking it now, they take care of your luggage you get a lunch in the MDR which is just standard fare and VIP seating in the theater (The only place to use it on Grandeur)  The rest of the stuff listed I wouldn't give you 10 Cents for.  As a D+  we get almost all of it anyways.

Our offer on Grandeur for it is $22.99 pp per day! Even worse.  Well, whatever floats your boat!

4 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Does The Key only get you early check in, and not early boarding? Because that definitely downgrades it's value to me if that's the case. 

• Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1.This means absolutely nothing because we all get that (within booked arrival time)
  • Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm.  We pay a porter $10 for the same thing
  • Private time at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.NAH!
  • Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore. Uh ugh
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille Lunch menu.  OK Maybe but you can get this for $21.99
  • Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theatre, Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70 (reservation is needed). Already got that as D+
  • VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet. Already got that as D+
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.Again
Edited by BecciBoo

8 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:
  • Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1.
  • Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm.
  • Private time at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.
  • Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille Lunch menu.
  • Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theatre, Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70 (reservation is needed).
  • VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet.
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

Thank you. I guess I had access to that description if I'd bothered to login to my cruise planner and read it 😂

Since the priority access is only into the terminal, and not onto the ship, and since the VIP seating still needs to be reserved, I'm seeing less value in The Key now. 

Private time at the flow rider would benefit my daughter, but not enough to pay the extra money for the key. I think my "buy" price is gonna be $18/person, and it doesn't appear that it will go that low for my cruise so I'm out. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

15 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I will just share what it says in the planner right now for my Symphony sailing coming up in December as I dont want to give the wrong interpretation. It says, "Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1."  People are interrupting that sentence in different ways. Yes, that can help with boarding the ship sooner than people behind you in line, but it is not the same as "early boarding of the ship". 

I believe this language was different earlier in the cruise restart. I've had the Key before.  Other benefits changed a LITTLE bit from earlier during the restart as well. But, it was also a little different on different ships. So, you probably just want to check your planner for the current language that Royal is using to detail what is included. 

For me, once the price matches 2 devices, then yes, it's a win for us. But, that varies from person to person based on what matters to them. 

Edited by blueslily
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 7:08 AM, twins_to_alaska said:

The cheapest The Key had been was $24.99 for my early Dec 2 night solo sailing but this morning it went down to $16.99. I bought it. Voom Surf was $15.99 and Surf/Stream $19.99.

Lucky You!!

My cost is $30.99/day for the Key. S/S $20.99 and VS =$16.99. 

8 day Southern Caribbean on Odyssey of TS January