What Power Adaptors do you take for Australian Power Cords

Matkai

Hi Matkai

The cruise ships home based in Australia for Princess and P&O have a single Aussie power point outlet at the desk area, and I believe two USB outlets.

But I still take my travel power board below, it is an approved unit for cruising. Aldi's have them on sale every so often.

Their great as they have plug adaptors for use around the world and 4 usb sockets, and the extension cord allows me to be flexible locate it on the desk.

regards

Adapter.gif.c50bf65f002fd492dfb2c4b14f3e78ad.gif

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Matkai said:

Hi Everyone,  What do people take as a power adaptor, just a single travel power point? or is there a small board with multiple outlets that we can buy?

Thank You

Depends on the ship.

I presume Royal Caribbean - will have a US outlet for sure, and maybe a Euro one depending on the ship. You will need to take a US to AU pin adaptor at least.

29 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Matkai

The cruise ships home based in Australia for Princess and P&O have a single Aussie power point outlet at the desk area, and I believe two USB outlets.

But I still take my travel power board below, it is an approved unit for cruising. Aldi's have them on sale every so often.

Their great as they have plug adaptors for use around the world and 4 usb sockets, and the extension cord allows me to be flexible locate it on the desk.

regards

I am pretty sure it is the same or a similar unit - confiscated by security for stowing on the ship on Coral Princess this morning. They are the safe type, but X-ray screeners aren't electrically trained, and powerboards are on their contraband list. Best to put in luggage and then if they hold your bag in the naughty room, at least they will be able to determine it isn't surge protected when you collect your bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Matkai

regards

Fantastic, I have one of these, I brought it for our USA trip... good to know it is approved for cruising .. Thank You

10 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Matkai

regards

At the OPT ours was taken off up for testing onboard the ship. First time that has happened. So far it hadn't been returned to us much to my annoyance. 

Take some US adaptors just in case.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I use a US to AUS double adapter, when needed, it is small and light.

We went out and bought another one today. I'm going to have a go at Guest Services tomorrow. They've never banned the Aldi travel adaptors before.

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We went out and bought another one today. I'm going to have a go at Guest Services tomorrow. They've never banned the Aldi travel adaptors before.

Actually before I took mine on a cruise, I sent princess full details including photos, and asked if it was ok to use.

They sent back a reply saying that it was a compliant power board, and that I could take it on board.

Evidently the problem ones are the surge protector units, or so I have been told.

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Actually before I took mine on a cruise, I sent princess full details including photos, and asked if it was ok to use.

They sent back a reply saying that it was a compliant power board, and that I could take it on board.

Evidently the problem ones are the surge protector units, or so I have been told.

Yes, surge protected power boards are a no-no. The Aldi ones are not surge protected. The OPT staff didn't seem to understand the difference.

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But it is the security contractors at the OPT that would have taken your power board, not Princess Security Officers?

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But it is the security contractors at the OPT that would have taken your power board, not Princess Security Officers?

Correct, sub-contracted by the terminal operator. For them, a powerboard is a powerboard. Some will let the smaller ones through, some don't.Take the non-surge ones by all means, but don't rely on it, especially if your adapters are part of the unit. Better off put into luggage. The bag may end up in the naughty room for checking, but you will get to use it after inspection if it does. Just make sure you have nothing else packed that you need that afternoon, as your bag could be delayed.

At least for Coral and the P&O ships, the USB ports and Aussie outlet is plenty for most, and a US pin adapter gives you an extra outlet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the Aldi one as well, and I take that if I'm travelling overseas, but not on a cruise. As others have said, technically they are compliant as they are not surge protected but it always comes down to security personnel on the day and I couldn't be bothered arguing with them.

For cruises, I pack a LOT of US and EU plug adapters, and I have a USB charger that has 6 charging ports on it so we only need the one charger for all the devices. For our next cruise to NZ in Jan I also bought a cube adapter thing that has got 4 USB charging ports AND converts US/EU/AU/Asia plugs. If it works well, I'll buy another one and bring both to our next scheduled cruises in Europe in Oct 2023.

The one I bought:

https://amzn.asia/d/09GAuUB

The saga of our well travelled and well cruised Aldi travel adaptor continues ...

We went to Guest Services earlier. They pulled out a tray of apparently approved power boards (one of which looked like it was surge protected) but ours, nor any of the other Aldi ones I saw during the security check, were there. I argued that it was crazy, our powerboard had been on at least ten cruises including this very ship two months ago. I had the Aldi instruction manual with me so they took that off and scanned it to send to the shop's electricians. I'll keep you posted. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

At least for Coral and the P&O ships, the USB ports and Aussie outlet is plenty for most, and a US pin adapter gives you an extra outlet.

We have one plug that when plugged into the Aussie outlet blocks the USB ports from being used due to it's shape. Luckily I had a double adaptor which sits crossways and high enough we can use the USB ports and that plug. We are using the US outlets for our other two chargers. We'd only bought one AU - US adaptor with us so bought another in the Rocks yesterday.

It will be very annoying if we can't use the Aldi adaptor any more as it will mean carrying at least two US adaptors, or more if there are no USB ports, plus a EU adaptor if cruising overseas. The Aldi one is so easy, just change the plug over. Since it has two sockets and four USB ports it has all we need in one adaptor.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The saga of our well travelled and well cruised Aldi travel adaptor continues ...

We went to Guest Services earlier. They pulled out a tray of apparently approved power boards (one of which looked like it was surge protected) but ours, nor any of the other Aldi ones I saw during the security check, were there. I argued that it was crazy, our powerboard had been on at least ten cruises including this very ship two months ago. I had the Aldi instruction manual with me so they took that off and scanned it to send to the shop's electricians. I'll keep you posted. 

It might come back with a certified test and tag label on it 😂

I get it that ships are strict, but my workplace is even stricter. Anything I bring in for myself or procure for the site must be tested & tagged before it is plugged-in - even a phone charger.

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yeah as per my post further up.. I have one but I don't bring it on cruises as I couldn't be bothered arguing with semi-trained security personnel!! My guess is that they're basically instructed to not allow anything that has a cord - so cube adapters are ok, but power boards are not.  Probably someone who knows what they're doing on the ship can overrule, but it all depends on whether you could be bothered arguing.....

1 minute ago, PossumMagic 13 said:

I have 2 USA adapters here! Which one is compatible on PRINCESS please?

19DB4A13-C3E0-4C0B-8B72-364A8B728395.jpeg

9DBCD513-721A-49BE-A331-9D3F2EA37D6C.jpeg

I think either is fine. From memory we happily used our adapters on Majestic, Star and Diamond princess and ours have the ground pin.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We have one plug that when plugged into the Aussie outlet blocks the USB ports from being used due to it's shape. Luckily I had a double adaptor which sits crossways and high enough we can use the USB ports and that plug.

Helpful info thank you! Can you plz post a photo of the outlet on board?  

9 minutes ago, PossumMagic 13 said:

I have 2 USA adapters here! Which one is compatible on PRINCESS please?

19DB4A13-C3E0-4C0B-8B72-364A8B728395.jpeg

9DBCD513-721A-49BE-A331-9D3F2EA37D6C.jpeg

When you flip these over, I hope the two pinned one only has two sockets on the other side.

We take the 3 pin ones to cover all bases, but the ship sockets will accept either. If you are just plugging in 2 pin phone chargers etc, either will be fine. If you are plugging in any 3 pin appliance, you need the earth pin.

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If you’re currently onboard a Princess ship I’d love a photo of the outlets in your room please?