Cape Liberty

tigerwilf

7 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I've cruised out of Bayonne on ships that were not repositioning cruises and were both from RC and Celebrity...we passed the Statue of Liberty every single time.  Even on Norwegian out of Manhattan, we passed her.

Glad to hear that as I now can anticipate going past SOL on my Oasis 10/16 cruise. I do hope I am not held to blame if Oasis does not go past SOL that day, breaking someone's streak.

Edited by meadowlander

On 9/25/2022 at 10:02 PM, meadowlander said:

Glad to hear that as I now can anticipate going past SOL on my Oasis 10/16 cruise. I do hope I am not held to blame if Oasis does not go past SOL that day, breaking someone's streak.

We did it on the Anthem in 2018 so hopefully we do it on the Oasis Oct 9th! I don't know if being such a huge ship makes a difference with the maneuver or not...

13 hours ago, sailor05 said:

We did it on the Anthem in 2018 so hopefully we do it on the Oasis Oct 9th! I don't know if being such a huge ship makes a difference with the maneuver or not...

Hoping so too. As you know it is impressive sailing towards lower Manhattan and then turning to pass the statue.

I see Oasis did not sail past SOL today and I expect the same on October 9. The October 16 cruise has a better chance of sailing by SOL as one cruiser is on board who has sailed past SOL on every of their Bayonne departure. I still doubt it will happen but will enjoy if it does. 

On 10/1/2022 at 11:10 PM, RandomUser123 said:

I think this is the first time anyone has ever said they were looking forward to seeing New Jersey 🙂

We are quite fond of many parts of the Jersey Shore.  

That said, it's a misnomer to call it the New York harbor.  95% of the port activity occurs in New Jersey, hence the look of a working port.  Perhaps they should call it the New Jersey harbor.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 2:06 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

I've cruised out of Bayonne on ships that were not repositioning cruises and were both from RC and Celebrity...we passed the Statue of Liberty every single time.  Even on Norwegian out of Manhattan, we passed her.

Now that you sailed from Bayonne and did not go past the SoL, realize how fortunate you were and recognize that cruises from Bayonne that divert to the statue are the exception not the rule. 13 cruises from Bayonne and 15 by years end, still only once did we go by the statue.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:37 PM, meadowlander said:

Now that you sailed from Bayonne and did not go past the SoL, realize how fortunate you were and recognize that cruises from Bayonne that divert to the statue are the exception not the rule. 13 cruises from Bayonne and 15 by years end, still only once did we go by the statue.

We've still gone by her every single time.  Even last week, we sailed right by her.  Every time we go, it's still a really cool experience.

Edited by broadwaybaby123

22 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

We've still gone by her every single time.  Even last week, we sailed right by her.  Every time we go, it's still a really cool experience.

Ships that sail out of Cape Liberty do not go by the Statue of Liberty.  Yes, you can see the statue in the distance, but you do not sail by the statue.  On a rare occasion, they will go up river and by the statue and then go out to see under the bridge, but that does not happen frequently at all.  Oasis went up river last week?

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Ships that sail out of Cape Liberty do not go by the Statue of Liberty.  Yes, you can see the statue in the distance, but you do not sail by the statue.  On a rare occasion, they will go up river and by the statue and then go out to see under the bridge, but that does not happen frequently at all.  Oasis went up river last week?

They did not, but they sailed right by her.  They did not sail up the river.

4 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

They did not, but they sailed right by her.  They did not sail up the river.

Your definition of sailing by her is different than others.  You do not go by the statue if you go out of Cape Liberty unless you go up river.  You just see it in the distance.

image.png.e2d774cbbf3fecd9c2d38587ede3c72f.png

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I was on the same October 16 Oasis sailing as you were and the ship did not sail right by her. The back of the statue is visible from the ship while it is docked at Cape Liberty. If that is your definition of sailing right by her, it is wrong and misleading especially to the OP who is not from this country and was asking if they might experience sailing by the statue which is an impressive sight.

You drove from New Hampshire, which is north of the statue, and you ended your driving in Bayonne which is south of the statue. There is more accuracy and honesty in saying you drove by the statue, despite never having seen it from the route you took than saying you have "sailed right by the Statue of Liberty" on every of your departures from Bayonne.

Hopefully the OP knows the correct answer to their question from all the helpful responses.

On 9/25/2022 at 2:06 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

I think the question is whether the ship circles the SOL.  It happens but not often.  Depends on harbor traffic.  Of course you'll see it sailing out of Cape Liberty if you are port side, near the aft.  Coming out of Cape Liberty you are already past the SOL.  Sailing out of Manhattan you have to pass her, no choice.

• Like 1

Some of you guys are so confused... 🤔  

If you sail out of Manhattan Port Terminal (YELLOW path) then YES!   You do sail by the Statue...

But if you sail out of Cape Liberty Terminal (RED Path) then NO!  You do NOT sail by the Statue... 😘

image.thumb.png.010bbc0febdb2818ddda229edc8f2e3e.png

• Like 2