A MAASDAM question

LocoLoco1

Thinking about this...one of the ships that was sold (could be Maasdam) went to a cruise line that doesn't have buffets. So, immediately, the buffet was removed. I can't remember what they were going to put in the place of the buffet. But this cruise line immediately announced, as no buffets was their policy, the lido was coming out. That would be the point of checking out the cruise line that now has Maasdam for their style.

• Like 1

I am curious as what was the last HAL voyage of the Maasdam. It was part of one of the distinct voyages between Sydney and Singapore. I see there was an active Roll Call for the cruises and a very nicely done Google Docs spreadsheet. But was the very last HAL voyage it did? 

MS Renaissance doesn’t have any Press releases yet from its new French owners. We did a USA/Polynesia cruise on the Maasdam. She was quite rough around the edges then.. curious was its new iteration will look like…. I sailed on an old CHANDRIS vessel that had a severe list.. Sank shortly thereafter. 

4 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

On Hal there is not much to write home about too, no entertainment and mediocre food, so how bad can it be on the new Maasdam? I would look at more at the itineraries.

HAL's entertainment and food quality is very much subjective, depending on a person's likes and dislikes.  Everyone's tastes are different.  I personally love the music walk's live entertainment.  True, if you are looking for big Broadway style stage shows, HAL is disappointing so look elsewhere.  Their Step 1 dance troop is great though.  For food quality, I believe HAL's Lido buffet is at least equal or better than most other major cruise lines and its Tamarind restaurant is spectacular.  Looking forward to the Dutch Cafe on our upcoming Nieuw Statendam cruise.

• Like 3

You know, I never know what people are imagining as a Broadway type show.  In my NYC dwelling experience, a Broadway or off-Broadway show was a drama, comedy, or musical.  All had story lines.  What I see on ships are more like Las Vegas reviews.  EM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Renamed AEGEAN MYTH

Until she sets sail, Maasdam, in her new whatever existence, will remain a myth.  

There suddenly has become too many "new cruise companies".  It's something that seems to be repeated from time to time.  Please tell me, where is Titanic II?  Where are the Ritz-Carolton ships?  

Edited by rkacruiser

6 hours ago, Sososailer said:

I am curious as what was the last HAL voyage of the Maasdam. It was part of one of the distinct voyages between Sydney and Singapore. I see there was an active Roll Call for the cruises and a very nicely done Google Docs spreadsheet. But was the very last HAL voyage it did? 

The last voyage was Auckland NZ to San Diego. Some passengers were supposed to leave or board the ship at Tahiti but that was not allowed. Ports were missed.

We left the ship at Auckland on March 1 2020, coming from Sydney, so we were on the last voyage where all the ports were visited as in the itinerary.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

You know, I never know what people are imagining as a Broadway type show.  In my NYC dwelling experience, a Broadway or off-Broadway show was a drama, comedy, or musical.  All had story lines.  What I see on ships are more like Las Vegas reviews.  EM

Funny you mentioned that.  I initially typed "Vegas style" but changed my wording to "Broadway style" because that's what I've seen referred to the most on these forums.  I agree that the big production shows on some of the other lines are more of the flashy Vegas type.  The typical 2 1/2 to 3 hour Broadway type of show you noted would be more difficult to pull off in the typical 1 hour main stage cruise show.

2 hours ago, ScottishMaid said:

The last voyage was Auckland NZ to San Diego. Some passengers were supposed to leave or board the ship at Tahiti but that was not allowed. Ports were missed.

We left the ship at Auckland on March 1 2020, coming from Sydney, so we were on the last voyage where all the ports were visited as in the itinerary.

I was supposed to board her in San Diego.