Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

On 9/28/2022 at 8:40 AM, Robjame said:

Yes I have other things to worry about on a cruise like does the captain know where he is going, are we going to hit an iceberg and will there be enough crab legs at Terrace.

Crab legs at terrace? Don't think I've ever seen them. That would be great. 

On 9/27/2022 at 3:41 PM, zalusky said:

Why can't you just relax and enjoy your vacation.  Now if these people are making loud noises and spitting and harassing you I can understand but who knows maybe they were rushed back from an excursion.  Maybe there luggage got lost in flight.  Maybe it just does not matter.

Actually, it does matter. Some people save all year, or more, to afford a vacation. They like the ambiance of tablecloths, cloth napkins, the correct wine glass etc. It is incongruous to have someone seated that is wearing ripped jeans, a shirt that says "I'm with stupid" or an obscene graphic. If you would like that sort of comfort, then do it where there are paper placemats, plastic forks and solo cups.  Everything is not appropriate everywhere. The attitude of "I'll do whatever I want and look however I want" is something most people abandon in their late teens.  That is also why there are both very casual venues and those that are a bit nicer. it should be observed and those that choose not to are really saying: "Look at me. I go through life doing exactly as I please without a thought for anyone else. I dare you to say something"

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Actually, it does matter. Some people save all year, or more, to afford a vacation. They like the ambiance of tablecloths, cloth napkins, the correct wine glass etc. It is incongruous to have someone seated that is wearing ripped jeans, a shirt that says "I'm with stupid" or an obscene graphic. If you would like that sort of comfort, then do it where there are paper placemats, plastic forks and solo cups.  Everything is not appropriate everywhere. The attitude of "I'll do whatever I want and look however I want" is something most people abandon in their late teens.  That is also why there are both very casual venues and those that are a bit nicer. it should be observed and those that choose not to are really saying: "Look at me. I go through life doing exactly as I please without a thought for anyone else. I dare you to say something"

I think you’re missing the point. No one is excusing their flaunting of the dress code. However it is your reaction and that you let it upset you that is wrong.

“You can’t control the world. You can only control your reaction to the world.”

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Robjame said:

I think you’re missing the point. No one is excusing their flaunting of the dress code. However it is your reaction and that you let it upset you that is wrong.

“You can’t control the world. You can only control your reaction to the world.”

So you advocate just going through life with a blind eye to anything anyone else does?  Or is it just this issue that's beneath your notice?  Also, I never said nor would I say that other people's ignorance or deliberately ignoring the implications of a restaurants dress code on other passengers is "upsetting". It is what it is, but I'm expressing an opinion on a forum that is nothing but opinion.   I mean..you dye your hair purple, don't expect people not to stare. That's really what you intended, isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

EXTREMELY well said.  Do whatever you want, but pick the locations at which you do it.  I don't want to get all spiffed up for a lovely, elegant dinner and look at a slob at the next table.  Nobody is trampling on your rights to do what you please.  Just stay away from those of us who are trying to enjoy a special experience in a nice restaurant. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Also, I never said nor would I say that other people's ignorance or deliberately ignoring the implications of a restaurants dress code on other passengers is "upsetting"

Then we are in complete agreement.

11 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Just stay away from those of us who are trying to enjoy a special experience in a nice restaurant. 

Ditto, some people want to walk into a nice place wearing some cheap knockoff or want to pass as wearing couture when they are clearly wearing bridge.  It's not just offensive, it's immoral.  I wish they would stay away from me. 

How about that?

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Ditto, some people want to walk into a nice place wearing some cheap knockoff or want to pass as wearing couture when they are clearly wearing bridge.  It's not just offensive, it's immoral.  I wish they would stay away from me. 

How about that?

🙄

3 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Of course Oceania has tried to address this and jsn55 wish for these people to stay away -. Penthouse and above suites. Here one can dine with the assistance of a butler, full menus and courses, without having to associate with those in steerage. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

Of course Oceania has tried to address this and jsn55 wish for these people to stay away -. Penthouse and above suites. Here one can dine with the assistance of a butler, full menus and courses, without having to associate with those in steerage. 

Do you know if the Vista suites and OS have his and hers fainting couches? 

• Haha 3

Over all the years sailing on Oceania we have never witnessed people dressed that “sloppy” in any of the ship’s restaurants to be discussed so extensively on this board. On rare occasions someone was turned off from entering the dining room, but with very few exceptions Oceania cruisers are dressed nicely enough to never spoil our dining experience. And yes, we understand what the dress code is all about.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, osandomir said:

Over all the years sailing on Oceania we have never witnessed people dressed that “sloppy” in any of the ship’s restaurants[...]

I agree 100%.  I've been sailing Oceania for 13 years and I could probably count on 1 hand the number of times I've seen people in restaurants that did not meet Oceania's dress code.

22 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Just stay away from those of us who are trying to enjoy a special experience in a nice restaurant. 

If you want to get all "spiffed up", as you say, that's definitely your choice to make.  Just don't expect everyone else to fall in line with your particular standard for that evening.  One of the reasons that people sail on Oceania is that they don't have to get "spiffed up" in the evening.  Provided the person is complying with Oceania's dress code, you DO need to turn a blind eye to "a slob at the next table" if what they're wearing is not to your personal liking.  Insofar as staying away from you, that's a little difficult since we don't choose our tables, but you're certainly free to ask for a different table.  If it's really going to upset you that much that someone is not meeting your personal dress code, perhaps you should consider ordering a lot of room service.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

OOPS

Meant THEIR   not there

I should not try to do 2 things at once  LOL

It's ok, we know you're from another culture and wouldn't correct your grammar. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Dress code is an ongoing topic on all cruise line forums. Some people dislike a code (regardless of how lenient or strict it is) and others like it.

Personally, after spending 35 years in an Air Force uniform and then 10 more in a business suit, I do not wish to dress up.I do not dress down but am very casual in dress at home and on vacation.

I live in shorts in the Summer and when on vacation in the Caribbean, wish to live in shorts as well. At home, I can get into 90% of restaurants in shorts. The remaining 10% get my business in  the cooler months.

To have all but 2 eateries on a ship (not including the lunch bars) have a dress code seems a bit much to me.

To have so many people personally offended by some wanting to wear shorts is very peculiar to me.

To be OK with a woman wearing capris and a man unable to wear shorts is also odd to me.

Anyway, I will abide as I do not want to be identified as a bad example on this forum next dress code discussion. I do wish that this line, and others that have codes, would get in line with the onshore world.

Being on a cruise is a vacation for us.

• Like 5

I have hesitated to “chime in” on this topic; however, the poster who described inappropriate dress as “immoral”  may want to rethink that assertion given its connotation.  I am wondering as well whether over-dressing is as inappropriate as under-dressing.  Just thinking😉.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, escrick said:

I have hesitated to “chime in” on this topic; however, the poster who described inappropriate dress as “immoral”  may want to rethink that assertion given its connotation.  I am wondering as well whether over-dressing is as inappropriate as under-dressing.  Just thinking😉.

Ah! Over dressing, now that’s a different issue!  Perhaps that nice sports coat is being worn because one never knows whether the restaurant ( especially PG) is going to be so cold they could hang meat; or so warm you wish you could strip down to your skivs! Are those ladies that feel it necessary to carry a sweater or shaw to dinner over dressing? 

One of the many issues with the old R ships is their lack of zoned temperature control in the Specialties. On some cruises/itineraries to keep it moderately cool in the rear of the restaurant, they are forced to nearly freeze out those up front .

I most often wear a nice sports jacket to dinner in the Specialties. If too warm, I can slip it off. If near frigid, I’m glad I have it one. I remember once on the Nautica, the ladies were wanting to leave before dessert. They were all wearing very nice sandals and they said their toes were turning blue! Glad I had on socks and shoes..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Dress code is an ongoing topic on all cruise line forums. Some people dislike a code (regardless of how lenient or strict it is) and others like it.

Personally, after spending 35 years in an Air Force uniform and then 10 more in a business suit, I do not wish to dress up.I do not dress down but am very casual in dress at home and on vacation.

I live in shorts in the Summer and when on vacation in the Caribbean, wish to live in shorts as well. At home, I can get into 90% of restaurants in shorts. The remaining 10% get my business in  the cooler months.

To have all but 2 eateries on a ship (not including the lunch bars) have a dress code seems a bit much to me.

To have so many people personally offended by some wanting to wear shorts is very peculiar to me.

To be OK with a woman wearing capris and a man unable to wear shorts is also odd to me.

Anyway, I will abide as I do not want to be identified as a bad example on this forum next dress code discussion. I do wish that this line, and others that have codes, would get in line with the onshore world.

Being on a cruise is a vacation for us.

Wearing shorts is not the problem.  Neither is wearing capris or sandals or sleeveless tops.  The problem is wearing those items with a washed-out t-shirt with some former garish logo on it, 3 sizes too big, sagging over said shorts.  The issue is simple: many of us think that people who look like slobs should be barred from nice restaurants.   All that's asked is wear a clean shirt that fits, tucked in and maybe a belt.   

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Wearing shorts is not the problem.  Neither is wearing capris or sandals or sleeveless tops.  The problem is wearing those items with a washed-out t-shirt with some former garish logo on it, 3 sizes too big, sagging over said shorts.  The issue is simple: many of us think that people who look like slobs should be barred from nice restaurants.   All that's asked is wear a clean shirt that fits, tucked in and maybe a belt.   

Have you been spending a lot of time on Carnival cruises?  If so, I'd suggest you try an Oceania cruise.  I've never seen anyone in a restaurant on Oceania dressed in the manner you describe above.  And, FWIW, some people - cruise ship or on land - wear looser-fitting garments to disguise/hide medical conditions, equipment, or whatever.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jsn55 said:

The issue is even simpler.  Unless you purchase Oceania outright, you don't get a say as to what other passenger's wear.   Many of us think that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

All that's asked is wear a clean shirt that fits, tucked in and maybe a belt.   

No, Oceania does not ask any of the above, perhaps you do, but not the dress code. Once again, it's real simple, read the dress code, don't interpret it, just follow it. 

The problem always with these threads is that people want the dress code to be what they want, not what it is. 

• Like 3