Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

44 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

I plan on wearing nice capris and a nice top/blouse to the MDR.  Will I be OK in specialty restaurants in that, as well?  Also, I've read the "no sandals" in the police and does that mean nice sandals or flip=flops?  Are they trying to avoid open-toed shoes?  Wondering if I need to go shoe shopping before we leave in a couple weeks.  Thank you!

common sense  

I would take the no sandals as beach sandals  not dress sandals

57 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

I plan on wearing nice capris and a nice top/blouse to the MDR.  Will I be OK in specialty restaurants in that, as well?  Also, I've read the "no sandals" in the police and does that mean nice sandals or flip=flops?  Are they trying to avoid open-toed shoes?  Wondering if I need to go shoe shopping before we leave in a couple weeks.  Thank you!

outfit and shoes perfectly ok. Even fancy/sparkly flip flops ok.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:09 AM, jsn55 said:

THIS is the epitome my thoughts ... wear whatever works for you and  just 'look sharp'

Look “sharp” is my nightmare.  I just want to look acceptable, because I’ve never mastered anything sharp or fashionable.  I’ve mastered many things in my life, but fashion is not one of them.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:00 AM, Sullivans10 said:

We have cruised often, but not yet on Oceania. Please tell me if most men wear a sport coat to dinner. My husband doesn't  want to bring one if not needed! 

He does not need one. My husband won't bring one either. A dress shirt, khakis and good shoes, typical what you'd wear to church, is enough.

2 hours ago, OhState1 said:

Look “sharp” is my nightmare.  I just want to look acceptable, because I’ve never mastered anything sharp or fashionable.  I’ve mastered many things in my life, but fashion is not one of them.  

I'll define sharp as I see it.  A man with a shirt tucked into his pants, with a belt.  The shirt and pants have a color relationship.  A brown and beige striped shirt with beige pants would look sharp.  A blue and white striped shirt with beige pants wouldn't.  And now let's hear it from all the color-blind men out there!  These days, people dress so awfully that just tucking your shirt in and wearing a belt would look pretty good in my book.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am again reminded of the gentleman sharing our table a few years ago who was wearing a suit and tie but noticed that he was just about the only one doing so in the GDR.  He asked about it ... I informed him that he didn't need the suit and tie.  We ran into them the next night in a specialty restaurant and he had taken my advice.  I do think he was wearing a sport coat that night but the suit and tie were gone.  But I agree with the others, your DH won't need a sport jacket.

Mura

On a TA last November, there were several men in overalls. They also sported long beards. They came to dinner in Waves that way. When asked the staff, we were told they are from Northern Germany. Not sure what that has to do with it. Im sure in Northern Germany they are aware of what to wear to dinner. 

To highlight another group, a large family with kids, were very casually dressed all the time, ill fitting sweats with  too much flesh exposed. Their loud demeaner, matched their clothing choices.

I am all for wear what you want, but within reason as it does affect the ships atmosphere. On the other hand it gives you something to laugh at, albeit quietly. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

On a TA last November, there were several men in overalls. They also sported long beards. They came to dinner in Waves that way. When asked the staff, we were told they are from Northern Germany.

I would have thought  WAVES at dinner would  be casual attire like the Terrace?

Were  the beards fake or were they sporting them throughout the cruise ?

Not sure  why  it matters if men have beards or not 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonthomas said:

Certainly Waves is casual....but how casual? Where is the line drawn?

Beards do not matter, but these were very long and somewhat unkempt, that matters. 

I would agree on drawing the line  at overalls in the GDR or specialties 

One cruise that did not happen

the guy was seated in the GDR  in his farmers coveralls  I normally do not care what others are wearing but the Maitre'd  should

JMO

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone for your help explaining appropriate attire.  I will bring my nice capris, as well as my new jean capris and hope I can wear those in the MDR or will do so at Waves and Terrace.  I plan to wear a dress, heels, and nylons in the specialty restaurants.  My husband will wear Dockers and a polo or Hawaiian shirt to the dining venues, maybe dig our a couple of his old dress shirts he used to wear to work for the specialty restaurants.  Sounds like we'll be fine that way.

We are on a 20 day cruise (2 back-to-back 10 days) in the Caribbean next month and will be flying, so I'm trying very hard not to overpack and will take advantage of the laundry rooms.  I've found that the people who dress up the most on cruises are often the ones who drive to the port, so much easier for them not to worry about how much luggage they are bringing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonthomas said:

On a TA last November, there were several men in overalls. They also sported long beards. They came to dinner in Waves that way. When asked the staff, we were told they are from Northern Germany. Not sure what that has to do with it. Im sure in Northern Germany they are aware of what to wear to dinner. 

Waves is only open until 4pm so if this was lunch time, casual is fine. 

Just to add my two cents worth, what is fine for dinner in Terrace might not be appropriate in the GDR. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Firstin87 said:

DW wears basically the outfit you describe as her evening "uniform".  Capri's, a nice blouse, she has a pair of white evening sandals that she wears 9 days out of 10.  Never a question or raised eyebrow in the GDR or any specialty on Regatta on our 3 sailings last year.  I think they are trying to keep beach shoes e.g. flip flops out of the GDR.  Anything more than that is perfectly okay in our experience.

One further comment.  The GDR in particular, but the interior of the ship in general tended towards cool in the evenings.  DW always had a scarf available and moved up to a "heavy" scarf after a few evenings when she couldn't fight off the chill.

For the gents my "uniform" consists of taupe color twill "golf" pants, a long sleeved dress shirt, my "cruise loafers" (a nice pair that have never set foot on anything other than teak or carpet), never a tie or jacket - I'm done with all that.  A polo would be fine, but it's just not my preference in the evenings.  Again never a raised eyebrow or comment.

Enjoy

47 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

Thank you, jondfk.  Also appreciate knowing the ship may get cool in the evenings.

I have often been glad to have the sports coat on/along. If I don’t need it, simply slip it off. However, there have been times I felt we were eating in the walk-in where they hang meat. My jacket and my DW’s sweater we carried in were a blessing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

My mistake, I meant to say Terrace.....

You may not like it, but overalls are quite acceptable under the currently dress code in the Terrace in the evening. Not that I'll be in them, and it's not the usual style of dress you see on Oceania. But I don't think they're going to kick anyone out for them. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 11:56 AM, Robjame said:

There is a dress code. This allows o to enforce certain standards:

The Code: Oceania keeps its policy simple and casual. Country club and resort-style attire are generally appropriate for both men and women. In all evening dining venues, passengers are requested to adhere to the country club casual dress code. (Think elegant casual, although some passengers choose to get dressier.) Shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear and sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill, Toscana 

On our recent trip(Jan.31-Feb.10) We saw a surprising amount of sport coats & more than usual full suits. We brought spot coats & Ties. I wore a bow tie on occasion. My spouse brought a coat & tie, but never felt the need to wear them. He usually wears Ralph Lauren/Tommy Bahama shirts shirts & khakie style pants. We saw one guy in a scooter dressed like an absolute slob try to get into the dining room.at dinner. He tried to use his disability as an excuse. The staff said no, you have to change. He charged off & not sure where he ended up.

19 hours ago, ORV said:

You may not like it, but overalls are quite acceptable under the currently dress code in the Terrace in the evening. Not that I'll be in them, and it's not the usual style of dress you see on Oceania. But I don't think they're going to kick anyone out for them. 

Never seen overalls(farmer type) on O & I hope to never see them. That's a clod pushing the envelope to see how low he can go.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

On Riviera now and my wife and I have noticed more men wearing jackets in the GDR.

I wear a jacket only in the specialty restaurants. 

Do you feel you fit in OK at GDR without a jacket?  Does it get cold there?

33 minutes ago, Epicurean C said:

I think dressing better enhances the whole experience. Look good. Feel good. You probably will get treated better, and perhaps you treat others better. Win-Win-Win-Win!

Nice to see some familiar Oceania cruisers here. 

I agree that dressing up a bit makes the experience more special.  What can be challenging is trying to balance packing for a 20 day cruise with not bringing too much luggage since we are flying with not under- or over-packing and either having to do laundry quite often or finding that we brought a lot of unnecessary items to lug around airports.  I am looking forward to wearing a couple of my nicer dresses that I don't wear often, and my husband will dig his old dress shirts from work out of the closet for the specialty restaurants.

• Like 2