Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

51 minutes ago, schmerl said:

On the Riviera now, Ate in Red Ginger last night. Many people were dressed extremely casual like the man wearing shorts and sneakers, 

I am surprised  he was allowed in 😲

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, schmerl said:

On the Riviera now, Ate in Red Ginger last night. Many people were dressed extremely casual like the man wearing shorts and sneakers, 

Wasn't yesterday embarkation day on that cruise ?

They tend to be not as strict in enforcing the dress code on embarkation day in recognition of the fact that not all passengers may have been able to get unpacked in time for dinner. It's a pretty common practice in the cruise industry.

• Like 1

We were surprised to see a family group arrive for dinner in gym clothes.  Only later did we find out that their luggage hadn't arrived with them on their flight. They sailed wearing what they wore on the plane.

1 hour ago, schmerl said:

There were people in shorts and ratty tee shirts at the Captain's cocktail party last night. 

If there are folks whose luggage never arrived, they will have to make do with whatever they have. Likely whatever t-shirts/shorts until the first port day, where additional tourist t-shirts  etc will be added.  I certainly wouldn't be buying over-priced sportwear at a port for cruise that is only a few days in length.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

If there are folks whose luggage never arrived, they will have to make do with whatever they have. Likely whatever t-shirts/shorts until the first port day, where additional tourist t-shirts  etc will be added.  I certainly wouldn't be buying over-priced sportwear at a port for cruise that is only a few days in length.

If I couldn’t dress appropriately for an occasion, I wouldn’t go.

At the Captain’s Reception, drinks are also free, and appetizers provided In Martinis. The CD always announces it. The decision to show up under dressed is a personal one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

maybe a good plan for  flying these  days more than ever is to pack a change of clothes in your carry on or wear  nice clothing  on the flight

JMO

When we fly we wear  decent clothes  no PJ's/ workout wear / shorts 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

maybe a good plan for  flying these  days more than ever is to pack a change of clothes in your carry on or wear  nice clothing  on the flight

JMO

When we fly we wear  decent clothes  no PJ's/ workout wear / shorts 

I dress strictly for comfort on a flight. But...I always fly in a day early too...especially during winter months. I always carry toiletries/meds, bathing suit, coverup, pj, and 2 changes undies and change of clothes in a carry on as well.. 

Terry it is not likely to ruin the whole cruise, but certainly detract from the ambience of the gathering. Trying to wear shorts and T-shirts to the GDR and specialties is disrespectful to other pax and crew. It is a bare minimum that O has for a dress code, very easy to meet .

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2023 at 8:59 AM, schmerl said:

There were people in shorts and ratty tee shirts at the Captain's cocktail party last night. 

Personally, they should have been turned away. This IS supposed to be an event of some decorum then at least make an attempt.

On 3/4/2023 at 12:37 PM, Guppy99 said:

I dress strictly for comfort on a flight. But...I always fly in a day early too...especially during winter months. I always carry toiletries/meds, bathing suit, coverup, pj, and 2 changes undies and change of clothes in a carry on as well.. 

Same here. For us, we never know when a snowstorm will make a mess of travel.We also fly direct & not have that problem of luggage going somewhere else. On our cruise last year we had some clod grab our suitcase & take it home. Amazingly stupid people out there. Luckily, it was quickly returned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Did that ruin your whole cruise? 

Obviously pax dressing like that at special events is fine for you. It is not for others. O is NOT Carnival. Pax are expected to make a reasonable attempt to follow the code. It's obviously those who follow the "What can I get away with" style of dress who dampen it a little for those who want to look fairly nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rbtan said:

Obviously pax dressing like that at special events is fine for you. It is not for others. O is NOT Carnival. Pax are expected to make a reasonable attempt to follow the code. It's obviously those who follow the "What can I get away with" style of dress who dampen it a little for those who want to look fairly nice.

Some people don't care what they look like, others like to express themselves with their attire, and people like me enjoy looking presentable.  We like to give the impression that we are engaged and interested in the current activity.  Slopping around in flip-flops and ratty t-shirts is a choice people make, some psychological need that they're filling.  Looking 'nice' is a choice others make.  It's a matter of 'respect for the venue' in my eyes.  Ship's officers are dressed in spotless white uniforms at 'their' cocktail party, so I like to respect them by dressing in neat, appealing clothing.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2023 at 12:02 PM, jsn55 said:

Some people don't care what they look like, others like to express themselves with their attire, and people like me enjoy looking presentable.  We like to give the impression that we are engaged and interested in the current activity.  Slopping around in flip-flops and ratty t-shirts is a choice people make, some psychological need that they're filling.  Looking 'nice' is a choice others make.  It's a matter of 'respect for the venue' in my eyes.  Ship's officers are dressed in spotless white uniforms at 'their' cocktail party, so I like to respect them by dressing in neat, appealing clothing.  

Agreed. A few years back Ed Sheeran was on the QM2. I'm not supporting tuxes, mind you, but just what Cunard did(we've done 6 cruises with them) in regards to his style of dress(lack thereof) He was in a Queens Grill suite & showed up for dinner. As usual he was slovenly dressed as his usual style.He was immediately denied entry & told to dress properly for dinner in order to return. Of course he didn't & had to dine in his suite. Of course being in one of the grand suites, they were able to serve him  course by course, which he was entitled to do. I wonder how Zuckerberg from Meta(Facebook) would fare. The only time I ever saw him reasonably dressed was when he appeared before Congress a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2023 at 8:44 PM, rbtan said:

Exactly. A friend of mine calls Carnival "a trailer park with a propeller." When I'm paying Oceania prices, I don't want to see people dressed like Walmart shoppers. Does it ruin my vacay? H*** yeah, so DON'T DO IT. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My apologies, but can someone please explain the difference between smart jeans that are appropriate for evening wear and casual jeans that are not? I understand that one difference is "no holes", what else? Maybe some photos/examples? 

Just trying to see if any of my jeans would be appropriate. 

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

My apologies, but can someone please explain the difference between smart jeans that are appropriate for evening wear and casual jeans that are not? I understand that one difference is "no holes", what else? Maybe some photos/examples? 

No pic, but found a description...""You can also wear well-tailored, dark-wash jeans without visible signs of distress.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/smart-casual-dress-code-and-attire-guide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I don't travel with jeans anywhere.  I rarely wear them at all.  Once 'everyone' started wearing jeans, I stopped.  I don't think they're ever appropriate for evening wear ... but that term needs a definition.  In a ship dining room, never.  For a casual meal, dark jeans would be fine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Just my opinion  but  I do not think jeans of any kind are appropriate in the dining venues for dinner

Terrace & Waves are the exceptions

Yes I know  many fine restaurant allow them  as I said  JMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Currently on Riviera - use the description from AMHunt Ferry above.  Dark, no fading, look new jeans with nice shoes and top would be fine.  My DH usually wears dockers to dinner, but ‘nice’ jeans would be fine, too.  Be sure not to wear tennis shoes or flip flops.  Men - collared shirt. Women - nice top.  No tees.  Nothing with slogans.  Color coordinated.

some people choose to really dress up.  Others stick more to the resort casual.  I suspect that luggage space contributes to that decision - lol.

7 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

Others stick more to the resort casual.  I suspect that luggage space contributes to that decision - lol.

That  is my excuse   & I am sticking to it

Casual but still looking good 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Firstin87 said:

Currently on Riviera - use the description from AMHunt Ferry above.  Dark, no fading, look new jeans with nice shoes and top would be fine.  My DH usually wears dockers to dinner, but ‘nice’ jeans would be fine, too.  Be sure not to wear tennis shoes or flip flops.  Men - collared shirt. Women - nice top.  No tees.  Nothing with slogans.  Color coordinated.

some people choose to really dress up.  Others stick more to the resort casual.  I suspect that luggage space contributes to that decision - lol.

Ok. One sport coat/3-5 nice shirts/2-3 nice pants/undies & some "casual beach wear" etc.I'm sure that does not equal a very heavy suitcase.Remember there are washers on board.

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Like 1