Flying Delta to Istanbul from US

aj1998

I have declined the airfare for a cruise next year on Oceania leaving from Istanbul in order to book myself on my preferred airline of Delta.  Unfortunately, it seems getting to Istanbul from the US via Delta is not very convenient.  My origin city is not a hub so it seems I'll have to first connect through a hub (ATL or JFK, for example), fly to Amsterdam and then take KLM to IST.  Having two connections concerns me both from the perspective of potential delays but also as we will definitely be checking bags.  It also appears there is only one KLM flight from AMS to IST each day - I prefer to have options in case I'm delayed arriving in a city.  I've also found European airlines tend to be more restrictive on the number and size of carry-on luggage. 

Does anyone have any recent experience with flying to IST from the US on a Delta ticket?  I'd be interested in any tips/tricks.  

Of course, actually supplying us with cities and dates is helpful.

Believe me when we say that the regulars here do not go to airports to stalk people off to their cruise.  So don't make it a big secret.

Second question:  why focusing on DL if there is only one flight a day from both AMS and CDG?  Seem to be severely limiting your options.

Edited by FlyerTalker

16 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Of course, actually supplying us with cities and dates is helpful.

Believe me when we say that the regulars here do not go to airports to stalk people off to their cruise.  So don't make it a big secret.

Second question:  why focusing on DL if there is only one flight a day from both AMS and CDG?  Seem to be severely limiting your options.

Thank you for the quick reply.  The cruise is June 2023 - I omitted that as I didn't think it would be relevant.  As for departure city, that part is unknown as we plan to move between now and then.  It will either by CVG or greater Tampa area.  And why Delta?  Like most people who travel a lot, one manages to build up points and status on a particular airline.  Due to my status, I have a much greater chance for quick/painless resolution in case of issues.  So for now, I'm primarily looking at Delta and asking for guidance if anyone has recently flown to IST (regardless of departure date/city) on a Delta ticket.  I am trying to gather information to help me make an informed decision based on pros/cons.    

4 hours ago, aj1998 said:

Thank you for the quick reply.  The cruise is June 2023 - I omitted that as I didn't think it would be relevant.  As for departure city, that part is unknown as we plan to move between now and then.  It will either by CVG or greater Tampa area.  And why Delta?  Like most people who travel a lot, one manages to build up points and status on a particular airline.  Due to my status, I have a much greater chance for quick/painless resolution in case of issues.  So for now, I'm primarily looking at Delta and asking for guidance if anyone has recently flown to IST (regardless of departure date/city) on a Delta ticket.  I am trying to gather information to help me make an informed decision based on pros/cons.    

It has been years since I have been in IST, so no recent info.   I would say if your traveling on Delta your just as likely to connect through Paris with Air France as Amsterdam with KLM.   

Unfortunately if you're flying from either Tampa or Cincinnati and are dead-set on Delta (which I get), you don't have many options - you're going to end up double-connecting through either Paris or Amsterdam. That's it, that's the story. The more filters you put on your travel, the fewer options you have, which then creates a decision that needs to be made - is it worth double-connecting for loyalty, versus single-connecting for convenience (or even driving from, say, Tampa to Miami and getting a nonstop on Turkish). Only you can make that decision. 

On 9/13/2022 at 9:36 AM, Zach1213 said:

Unfortunately if you're flying from either Tampa or Cincinnati and are dead-set on Delta (which I get), you don't have many options - you're going to end up double-connecting through either Paris or Amsterdam. That's it, that's the story. The more filters you put on your travel, the fewer options you have, which then creates a decision that needs to be made - is it worth double-connecting for loyalty, versus single-connecting for convenience (or even driving from, say, Tampa to Miami and getting a nonstop on Turkish). Only you can make that decision. 

Hmm...I somehow missed there was a direct on Turkish from Miami.  A direct flight is definitely one that could sway me away from Delta (although I've not heard good things about Turkish).  And yes, the direct to CDG is back up and running, but only on certain days and would require something like a 12 hour layover in Paris.  In any case, you've given me food for thought which is exactly what I needed.  Thank you for that.  

16 hours ago, aj1998 said:

(although I've not heard good things about Turkish).   

Curious what you have heard? I don't have a ton of experience with them since I'm a OneWorld guy, but I have flown them a few times domestically and within Europe, as well as a couple of times on their 737s in to Africa from IST. They've been solid, from a comfort and on-time standpoint, in my experience. 

Edited by Zach1213

As much as we like Delta, a non-stop Business Class ticket on Turkish Air (from Dulles) was a lot more convenient and less expensive.  And Turkish Air Business had a lot better food than we get in Delta One.  Bottom line is that we did not like Delta enough to suffer through changing flights (and perhaps losing luggage) at CDG.

Hank

I will just add that for any Europe-based cruised, I strongly suggest that you fly in AT LEAST 1 day ahead of time, preferably two, and especially if you have a double connect.

We flew to Europe for a cruise this past summer and had planned a night in Venice pre-cruise.  The day we left the plane went mechanical, got a new plane, that one went mechanical (technically a pax fault, when they tried to shove an oversize bag in the overhead and broke it) and then crew timed out and the flight was canceled.  Delta created a new flight leaving the next day at 5pm.  There went our overnight in Venice but at least we still boarded our ship on time the day we arrived in Italy.  The night the flight was canceled we got a room at a nearby hotel (yes, Delta reimbursed us fore it) but there was a line of pax at the airport in a tizzy because they were on a cruise that left the very next morning and there were, at that point, no rebooking options to get them there on time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1