Giovanni’s menu and favorite dish

tx121

Our favorite specialty restaurant.

Wife and I always get the filet. I'm also a big fan of the carbonara, picky wife gets plain risotto (no mushrooms) as her pasta.

For an app, sometimes they are able to give me the fried calamari from the lunch menu, sometimes not, in which case I get the meat and cheese board which is also very good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I love the Osso Buco, filet and the Pork Belly and will never miss the Ahi Tuna appetizer plate.  

Interesting, this thread has me drooling but I looked up the menu on freedom and don't see pork belly, ahi tuna or risotto.

4 hours ago, cynt said:

Ask them for a surf and turf, the filet mignon plus the grilled prawns. DELICIOUS!

Sounds great!  They don't mind sort of making up a dish that isn't on the menu?  

Also, do the pizza's count as an entree?  I think it might be nice to pick one and share among the 4 of us as an appetizer.

34 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Interesting, this thread has me drooling but I looked up the menu on freedom and don't see pork belly, ahi tuna or risotto.

That's because Freedom has the newer version of Giovanni's... Giovanni's Italian Kitchen.

Most of the responses above refer to the original version... Giovanni's Table.

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

That's because Freedom has the newer version of Giovanni's... Giovanni's Italian Kitchen.

Most of the responses above refer to the original version... Giovanni's Table.

New version lacks any appeal of Italian dining, it just looks like a cafe for lunch not a great dinner.

4 hours ago, SAmome said:

Look again...the ahi tuna is called Tonno Crudo  Pork Belly is Pancetti di Maiale and risotto-Risotto Ai Quattro Funghi

Lookin at my phone right now its all there.  At least for our Grandeur cruise next week.  I have had all of the above.

Edited by BecciBoo

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Look again...the ahi tuna is called Tonno Crudo  Pork Belly is Pancetti di Maiale and risotto-Risotto Ai Quattro Funghi

Lookin at my phone right now its all there.  At least for our Grandeur cruise next week.  I have had all of the above.

See post #9.

I can tell you what not to get. I love grilled octopus and the Giovanni version I received was rather wet and soupy, without any smoky char, and thus rubber bandy. I had the prawn entree. The prawns were fine, but the plating over potato puree was a very poor choice. I love potatoes, bake them, mash them, fry them, but save the pureed version for nursing homes. My dining partner didn't care for the risotto. We joked Giovanni's was a poor man's Olive Garden. 

If I ever do go back I will definitely try the filet, sounds good. 

4 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

New version lacks any appeal of Italian dining, it just looks like a cafe for lunch not a great dinner.

I disagree. It has more pasta dishes. Much more "Italian American" flavor. Most U.S. residents think pasta and pizza as Italian, then Ahi Tuna. I find some of the specialty restaurant menus to be a bit poncy.